Who makes the Volvo Engines

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Who makes the Volvo Penta engines. More specifically, I assume the engine blocks and internals are made by GM, is this correct? Are the engines assembled by GM or Volvo? Just curious. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Who makes the Volvo Engines

Which engines are you talking about, Volvo makes their own diesels, but they do marinize GM gas engines. That means they put on the carbs, ignition system, exhaust system, wiring harness etc. And on MPI engines even more is MPI.
Volvo does not use Volvo gas engines anymore (since 93) only GM.

Bondo

Staff member

More specifically, I assume the engine blocks and internals are made by GM, is this correct? Are the engines assembled by GM or Volvo?

Ayuh,... Do you understand the differences between Short Blocks, Long Block,+ Bobtail motors,..??

Government Motors sits down with the guys from Volvo,+ Merc to see what their respective motor requirements are...
They then sell 'em a million Long Block motors at whatever Specs each marineizer requests...
What you buy from Merc, or Volvo, or Crusader, or Whomever, is pretty much bought as Long Blocks, built by Government Motors,to spec,...
They're known as Bobtail motors...

Don S

I moved this over from the other post about Ford or Chevy to here.

And, Mercury Marine built the 1990 - 1995 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 LT5 V8 engines from blocks provided by GM. That really wasn't a question. :)

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, fully understand the difference between long blocks, short blocks, etc...

I was just wondering, since the question was raised earlier about whether the Mercruiser 5.0 was a GM or Ford engine. ;)

Don S

I was just wondering, since the question was raised earlier about whether the Mercruiser 5.0 was a GM or Ford engine. ;)

There was never any question by anyone but you and the original poster, and you wanted to argue the case because you have a friend that KNOWS this stuff and will check it out for you. Hate to tell you this, but there are those that Know, right here.
Mercruiser, which is what that poster has, only used a 5.0L (aka 302) Ford engine from 1970 to 1977 (see bondos reply). never again after that, no more Fords. Period. The OP of that thread has a 2007 Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrive with a 5.0 MPI 260 HP in a Trophy Pro. Note the year, it is not 1977.

Oh, and just an FYI, Mercruiser has made one engine, it was called a 470 and was a 4 cylinder. Was not a great success, and is no longer made, and was not used in any Vetts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

red dots, I see red dots :).
is your 5.7 a 5.7 or a 350?
over the years various terms were used to describe various engines.
I dont think mercruiser ever refered to the 302 ford as a 5.0, they did refer to the 305GM as a 5.0.
merc also used the term 350 to describe a 350 CID GM engine but only with periphery mounted valve covers.
all the center bolt valve cover 350 CID motors were refered to as 5.7L motors.
so this argument can go round and round and round.
by this argument the 327 international V8 could be named a GM simply because they shared a common cubic inch displacement or that buick,pontiac,oldsmobile and chevrolet all produced a 5.7 simply because all had a seperate 350 cubic inch displacement engine.
most folks dont remember but GMC actually had a 305 CID V6 that wait,wait wait, was a 5.0 liter.

Don S

The all-aluminum LT5 engine?s design was a collaboration of GM and Lotus Engineering, sharing only a 5.7-liter displacement with other small-block engines. The engine was built by Mercury Marine, which was renowned for its aluminum machining capability.

Ok, but let's put this into prespctive. Mercruiser may have physically built the engine, but it was not designed and engineered by Mercury Marine. They were given drawing and specs to meet, and was only the machine shop and maybe the assembly plant for a portion of it. Merc was not the brain child of the ZR-1, just part of the manufacturing process.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no
but they were the brainchild of the 470.
got ya there :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I know, but I just had to point it out, again.
its simply become an alpha bet soup trying to keep up with all the new product in the past 5 years, its also why I simply type in the serial number go get the correct parts and service manual and simply fix the dang thing the way it was designed.
I wish more techs and do it yourselfers would.
it would make my job infinatly easier but maybe not as interesting sometimes.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I know, but I just had to point it out, again.
its simply become an alpha bet soup trying to keep up with all the new product in the past 5 years, its also why I simply type in the serial number go get the correct parts and service manual and simply fix the dang thing the way it was designed.
I wish more techs and do it yourselfers would.
it would make my job infinatly easier but maybe not as interesting sometimes.

Amen to that! And hence my disdain of 'FrankenMercs'.... and the people who want to create them!!!

Chris.....

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

Tell me more about this Merc 470 please. My freind got a free boat with one in it. I was wondering what years it was produced ,hp, and known problems.

Bondo

Staff member

And hence my disdain of 'FrankenMercs'.... and the people who want to create them!!!

Ayuh,... I resemble that remark, thank you very much,.....:D
Tell me more about this Merc 470 please. My freind got a free boat with one in it.

Your friend paid Way Tooooo Much for it...
Do a search,.. It's been Beaten to death...
Ok, but let's put this into prespctive. Mercruiser may have physically built the engine, but it was not designed and engineered by Mercury Marine.

Just as Merc contracts to buy long block motors from Government Motors...
Government Motors contracted with Merc. for their expertize in casting aluminum blocks...
It's Definitely Not a Merc motor...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Actually folks, I do believe the dual overhead cam heads for the first Corvette ZR-1 engine were made by Mercury. My memory is a little foggy on this detail but as I recall Merc was a leading authority on the lost-foam casting process at that time. I don't recall if they cast the engine block as well but I do remember reading about the heads. I've been wrong before though ---- once I think!!! :)

q5ka

Seaman

ECV... Just do a search for the 470 or 3.7l. You will see all you want about them. There are lovers and haters of this motor but it will never be recommended for anyone that is not handy or new to boating. Dont follow Red Green here as duct tape will not fix anything on this motor.