WHO MAKES "THE BIGGEST" 12 FT. LENGTH BOAT??

sloopy

Commander
Re: WHO MAKES "THE BIGGEST" 12 FT. LENGTH BOAT??

speedbt.jpg

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Try: www.oldwharf.com<br />they have some real interesting designs for one man cape cod bay small boats

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw those "foldable" boats at last years boat show in Boston. Caught my wifes attention and we checked them out. We werent in the market for a small boat as we already have a 12fter to fish with, but it was a nice concept. I believe they carry a good warranty also. I saw one in the basement at one of my customers houses all stored and folded away for the winter. He was pretty happy with it.

BillP

Captain

SeaDawg,<br />That skiff will be a handfull for dragging across land. If you are launching in the rough get a REAL tilt trailer. It will do it much better than a float on. <br /><br />Another way to get a small boat from truck to water is with sections of 4" or 6" diameter pvc pipe. 3 pieces laid crosswise under the hull will let it slide or roll easily.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the other info on foldable boats and other "make able" boats, and the the "get the boat in the remote water" ideas. It has made my <br /><br />I'm looking at getting a trailer kit from West Marine (if the boat dealer trailer price it too high), and I have access to a machine shop, so I will make it a "tilt trailer", that was a great idea.<br /><br />And I'm 95% sure I will get the J1250 Carolina Skiff too, and due to Honda motor prices scaring me, I'm seriously looking at the 18 HP Nissan 4-stroke (I revived a motor post on that forum, so if someone has one, please post comments there about the motor).<br /><br />Thanks again guys for your helpful comments.<br /><br />Ron

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm. I'm confused about the length requirement. I happen to be selling ( way out in Houston TX, though) a 14 ft. Carolina Skiff with a new 25 hp Merc.. I had the trailer re-rigged with a removable tongue. From the end of o/b motor to the longest portion of the trailer, she measures almost exactly 16 feet. I'd imagine any 12 foot boat, with a "normal" trailer would equal or exceed that measurement. How "firm" is the 12 foot requirement? It is really is -12 feet- then NO 12 foot boat with a trailer is really going to fit. You will be down to a 10 ft and still have to do something to the trailer to get it down to 12 feet. Come on down to Houston, get warm, and we can talk. RichG99

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Richg99, my wife and I have fought over 12 or 14 feet on the boat, and I lost (graciously I might add, because she agreed that I could also get a 24 - 26 footer this summer for us to go out on). I would REALLY like to get the 14 foot skiff, but it was not worth the fight. I've small (and big) boat fished (even commercially hook and line for a few years) since the mid 70s (telling my age now), so the 12 footer will be safe enough for me too, I'll just keep it in the creeks and go with my many fishing friends until I get another bigger boat.<br /><br />You are correct, 12 foot is not really 12 foot, when you throw the motor, trailer post/tongue, etc. on it. But I have a 32 ft. deep garage, and 12 feet of boat, a couple feet of motor, and a foot or two of tongue length still leaves some room between the car that will be parked in front of it. In our neighborhood, you have to keep everything in your garage, and 14 foot of boat would require selling some other toy or two in the garage, so there I am.<br /><br />And, I possibly plan on using the 12 footer boat motor as a "kicker" on the 24 - 26 footer, and I'm just about locked in on the 18 HP Nissan 4-stroke motor for this setup too. <br /><br />But talk is cheap, and you guys have given me many good ideas. Keep them coming!!<br /><br />I'm also going to look at the Portaboats at a boat show later this month, because I may be able to convince mommy on a "flat" 14 footer. BUT, the max motor it will take is a 9.8 and short shaft, which may or may not be the setup I want. <br /><br />Decisions, decisions......

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like the Mrs.'s biggest objection to a 14 vs a 12ft boat has to do with space in the garage??? If that is so, be sure to check out modifying the tongue of whatever boat/trailer that you buy. Here are two pix to show what was done to mine. It saves tons of space in our much shorter garage. I usually keep the boat in a boat barn, but, in one instance, it allowed me to rent a shorter barn, too! RichG99<br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9 <br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=10

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Gotcha on the tongue length idea, I did not mention it, but I have included modifying the tongue to swivel (similar to the Bass Tracker trailers), even with the 12 footer. Trust me, she knows all of my tricks, we have been married almost 20 years now.<br /><br />I started to make the tongue removable past the tongue jack, but I have access to a machine shop where I work, so making the swivel plates will be easy to do.<br /><br />And, I can "diagonally" park the boat slightly, to help some on the length too. BUT, not enough to gain the 2 feet needed for a 14 ft. boat (smile).

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats alright...14 foot boats aren't 14 feet anyhow and 12's aren't really 12. I think my CS 14 ( now sold! ) is 13 feet 6 inches. It's like buying a one lb can of coffee that no longer weighs one pound! RichG

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I braved the snow and ice, went to the Baltimore area boat show, and bought a 20" transom Carolina Skiff J1250 and a Karavan 1000# rated trailer. <br /><br />Surprisingly, I saved a decent chunk of cash by buying separately, than by buying as a package (boat, motor and trailer). Maybe it was because of the small boat size.<br /><br />All that is left is deciding on which 15 - 20 HP motor (an 18 HP Nissan (cheapest price, but not as popular as others), a 15 HP Yamaha (good local dealer, but less HP), or a 20 HP Honda (what I really want, but still too costly).<br /><br />I've thrown out some "take it or leave it" prices to the local motor dealers, and I'll make my motor decision this Friday.<br /><br />I'll post a picture with the package later this spring too.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Welllll, I ended up getting a Carolina Skiff J1250, a Nissan 18 HP 4-stroke motor, and a Karavan KB-1000 trailer. She looks nice in the garage, and when the weather breaks, I'll give an update on performance in the local creeks.<br /><br />Can't wait to break it in!!<br /><br />Ron