WHO MAKES "THE BIGGEST" 12 FT. LENGTH BOAT??

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking to buy the largest width, 20" transom 12 footer I can find. I'm looking at jons, V-bottoms, aluminum, fiberglas, plastic, etc. <br /><br />Floor layout is less important than size. I'm limited to 12 foot boat length, so I want to get the biggest small boat that I can get. Cost is secondary, size is most important for now.<br /><br />I live in DE, so I will figure out how to get it to me later....<br /><br />Thanks in advance. <br /><br />Ron

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: WHO MAKES "THE BIGGEST" 12 FT. LENGTH BOAT??

I understand that there are some small pontoon boats that may fit the bill for a "Big" 12'er.<br /><br />Kinda like this, but there are more:<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />Or:<br /><br /> web page

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just curious - why are you limited to 12 feet?<br /><br />I limited myself to 14 feet because that's the biggest my homeowners insurance policy would cover so I don't need a boat policy.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

12 foot is the magic number that will fit in my garage, and on an existing 8 ft. utility trailer, and can be "slid" in local creeks without killing my back. <br /><br />I'm going to get a 24 - 26 footer next spring to cover the other end of the spectrum. I'm just looking for a "single person" halfway safe boat to play on the edges of the bay and tidal creeks, when I don't feel like taking out the bigger boat.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gotchya!<br /><br />Your post cought my eye because I have a 12 footer, but it's a 15 inch transom.<br /><br />Have you checked out www.boattrader.com? <br /><br />Are you going to be able to get a v-hull on a utility trailer or will you get a new trailer?<br /><br />Good luck!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

On the pontoon style boat, I would consider it, if I could slide it down a muddy creek bank by myself.<br /><br />On the trailer, it's an open trailer, so I'll make 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 bunks to accomodate the bottom contour of the bottom of the boat.<br /><br />Here's the biggest that I have found so far:<br /><br />V-Bottom - Alumacraft makes a "special order" 20" transom 12 footer, with a 60" beam. (http://www.alumacraft.com/utility.html)<br /><br />Jon/flat bottom - Carolina Skiff J12 - a fiberglas, 64" beam, and 20 HP motor rating. This is my pick so far, but I hope I can find a similar aluminum style. (http://www.carolina-skiff.com/j series page.htm)<br /><br />JB, 12 footer and others - who else makes "large" 12 foot length aluminum boats?

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seadog, Stay with alum. If you plan to try sliding this rig on and off a ut. trailer you will hurt yourself with the weight of a fiberglass boat. When you start looking at 60" beams if the gauge of alum. is very thick you are still looking at a fair amount of weight, then you add moter and fuel, can you say CHIROPRACTOR? You may man handle this if your young but pulling and lifting something like this will hurt you in the long run.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

SeaDawg,<br /><br />I have a 12' aluminum boat that I used to do exactly what you are planning to do with yours. It's hard, back breaking work to launch and retrieve a boat by yourself. It's best done with 2 people. Forget about "sliding" the boat by yourself with an outboard hanging off the back. You should be looking for the lightest rig possible. Remember, bigger length/width = more weight. If this is a one man operation, I'd consider a 10' Jon boat. <br /><br />rickdb1boat,<br /><br />Those little pontoon's look really cool! Perfect for me and 2 kids to cruise and fish the creeks in my area. I'll have too look into getting one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you are willing to concider a 15" transom, the choices are endless.<br /><br />Throw a small $18 winch on that trailer and you will be able to load a 12 footer just about anywhere.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ratfish,<br /><br />I regularly launch and retrieve a 22' cuddy by myself. And, I'm neither big nor young.<br /><br />A roller trailer with a good electric winch is the equalizer. <br /><br />I also have a little runabout for shoreline cruising. It does just fine with a 15" transom. Think the 20" requirement should be reconsidered.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

SeaDawg said,<br /><br />
<snip>... can be "slid" in local creeks without killing my back. <br /><br />and<br /><br /><snip>... I would consider it, if I could slide it down a muddy creek bank by myself.<br /><br />
Sounds like SeaDawg's access via trailer is limited. Many years ago I used to launch my 12' semi-vee by getting as close to the creek bank as possible with the boat on the trailer then drag the boat about 50' (not sure?) through the mud to the water. A real pain in the can and very messy to boot. A winch with about 100' of cable would have helped on the way out but I was young and didn't give it much thought.<br /><br />Using a trailer to launch the very same boat is an absolute dream. Couldn't be any easier. If SeaDawg has launch/retrieve access via boat trailer then by all means go for the 20" transom.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the responses guys, I've been away to Florida (swimming with the dolphins at Doscovery Cove and seeing Mickey and Donald), so I have not checked this post for a few days.<br /><br />Now to catch up with your posts. Mommy and I did some talking, and I'm now looking at getting the 20 HP Honda (the "lightweight" one), with a 20" shaft, which can later be used as a kicker on the the "future" 24 - 26 footer. <br /><br />I'm still looking hard at the J-12 Carolina Skiff, because it has a lot of room for a 12 footer, and I don't mind sitting on coolers, etc. And, I like the built in flotation and strength these boats have, and the price is right for them too.<br /><br />I'm also now looking at getting a galvanized trailer with 12 or 13 inch tires, and selling the utility trailer. If I need to haul something big, I'll borrow a truck from work, or set the boat off the trailer, and screw myself a piece of plywood on the trailer bunks (make it a dual purpose trailer).<br /><br />I have a small 4WD SUV, so that should get me close enough to the "remote" fishing holes that I plan on pursuing too.<br /><br />Fellas, I'm just afraid of DE bay waves and 15 inch transoms, and really want the 20 inch transom if possible. <br /><br />But, as you all have seen, hardly anyone makes a 20" transom/12 foot length/"wide" boat. I've looked at a LOT of boats and websites too. <br /><br />I'm not in a super big hurry, so I'm keeping my eyes open for a used J-12 "skiff", and I may try to pick up one at a boat show this spring, if I can't find any other boats with similar features, such as an aluminum version or the pontoon style.<br /><br />Thanks again, and Happy New Years to everyone.<br /><br />Ron

D

DJ

SeaDawg,<br /><br />I understand what you are trying to do.<br /><br />The CS is a good boat. They float like a cork and you CANNOT sink one. No matter what you do.<br /><br />The only issue I have is that it is NOT a good boat to be dragging across the ground.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Gotcha on the dragging, I'm planning on the larger diameter trailer tires (preferably 13", even though it certainly won't be needed for weight capacity) to keep me from doing any dragging and tearing up the gelcoat. <br /><br />Once I thought out most of my preferred "small water" fishing holes, the places I go have gravel or oyster shell creek bank areas that work OK for a 4WD and light boats/trailers. <br /><br />I've never seen a J-12 but I've seen the J-14's, and I am assuming that the only real difference is the 2 feet shorter length. <br /><br />I also don't plan on adding any extras from Carolina skiff, except possibly the bench seat. <br /><br />Unless someone has "been there/done that" with a CS before, and has any recommendations.

flydangler

Seaman Apprentice

Check out http://www.boatplans-online.com/index.php and look at the GF12 in the "Power Boats 16' or less" category. According to notes in the associated forums it will do everything you want and safely handle the conditions you describe wanting to operate in.<br /><br />If you really want something that does exactly what you want it to do then building it yourself might be the best, and cheapest way to go. With a little patience and care while building you'll also end up with a boat you'll be proud of.

sloopy

Commander

Why not get a nice fordable boat?<br /><br />LINK: I will remember to find web address later.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. Pat, I looked really hard at making one, because I have access to TIG welders and can buy the metal wholesale through where I work, and I also have woodworking tools to make one out of wood. Time is my only enemy though.<br /><br />Thanks on the Smokercraft link, I had missed that one.<br /><br />And, Sloopy, if the other "fordable boat" link is found, I'd like to check them out too. <br /><br />Sloopy, (on a side note), I grew up in WV, near Bluefield, in a little town called Peterstown, and fished the New River for catfish and smallmouths my whole childhood, from a 12 foot Sears jon boat with a 3.5 Sears engine. Replaced a few shear pins too, from all of the river boulders.

sloopy

Commander

Foldable Boat Website <br />
8%20hp%20porta-bote.jpg
<br />
holdboat.jpg
<br />
seaplane.jpg
<br />I used to have one, They are great boats, you will not be unhappy.