Who knows their toggle switches?

gsxr150

Seaman
It's not an electical wiring problem I have, but rather finding the right switch! What is the 6th post for on a 6-post on-off-on toggle switch? I need a replacement, but there is slim pickings on 6-post illuminated switches. Besides the one I found here, are there any other good stores to find these switches? I need one that is brushed aluminum red led. What a pain... Larson wants to charge near $50 for a $10 switch.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Who knows their toggle switches?

The switch doesn't have any part number or manufacturing information on it?
My dash has switches made from Carlingswitch.....and I was able to order them through mouser.com

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second the mouser.com. If they do not have it, good luck finding it.

My boat is a 1986 Regal. I need new circuit breakers, some of mine kept popping for no reason, well almost no reason. Hit a wake and they would pop. I pulled one out, there was a number on the breaker, no manufactuer, just a number. Went on Mousers web site, searched for the number, and there was the breaker that I needed. I have used them for a couple of other electrical parts as well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A six terminal ON-OFF-ON switch is merely two -- three terminal switches in one package operated by a single lever or button. The three terminals on one side constitute one switch and the three on the other the second switch. A switch with an indicator in it will have a seventh terminal. That is the ground terminal for the internal light.

gsxr150

Seaman

The switch doesn't have any part number or manufacturing information on it?
My dash has switches made from Carlingswitch.....and I was able to order them through mouser.com

I know it's Carling but I'll have to check a model number tonight. My boat is Larson. It's a lighted toggle for my accessories, something like on-off-on. And I think it has 6 posts. Tought to find!

gsxr150

Seaman

A six terminal ON-OFF-ON switch is merely two -- three terminal switches in one package operated by a single lever or button. The three terminals on one side constitute one switch and the three on the other the second switch. A switch with an indicator in it will have a seventh terminal. That is the ground terminal for the internal light.

Ah ha! So that might mean "double pole". Anyhow a 6 or 7 terminal lighted switch is not an easy find.

cr2k

Captain

Check NAPA. They may not have in stock but have a good selection and usually available overnight.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I buy them all the time for nav light switches, both toggle and rocker. Here's a diagram for wiring both a DPDT or SPDT w/diode for nav lgts...
NavSwitchWiring-1.jpg

You guys ought to re-wire boats for a living. http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Items/...e=Marine Panel Switch DPDT On-Off-On Red lens

gsxr150

Seaman

gsxr150

Seaman

Ok, last question...guess I'm going to get technical. What is double pole vs. single pole? It seems like I'm finding on/off/on switches in both double and single pole.

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

double pole means it can control 2 seperate circuits (hence the 6 conections) single pole only one (only 3 connections). Single throw is off/on double throw is on/off/on make sure it is NOT a momenary contact switch, that would be spring loaded like a tilt/trim switch.

gsxr150

Seaman

Great! Thanks to all that helped! I think I found my switch on ebay.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link seabob4, I had been looking for my switch for awhile. PERFECT match for the ole Crest'y

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class

geeze why dont ya just check out radio shack ?

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

geeze why dont ya just check out radio shack ?

I did, and nothing for me

I was looking for an exact replacement, not just any switch like I have now.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Ha, I sent the wife to Radio Shack too, looking for a DPDT 6 contact Mom on-off- Mom on. He just laughed and said no we dont have anything like that. She wound up at a marine store, found a 7 terminal but the guy said it wont work cause of the 7th terminal (the 7th is for a lighted switch, ya it would have worked) scary that the parts guys dont know what they have. Anyway, I found what i was looking for on the net, I need it to control an electric motor (reversing) this switch is already rigged for that so I only have to make 4 connections instead of 6.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Every Radio Shack store I've ever been in has a very nice selection of them. It is the Yo-Ho behind the counter that doesn't know a resistor from a diode. It is just best to bypass them and head for the cabinets with all the little drawers. The drawers labeled SWITCHES is where to look.