who knows about living in Austin, TX? Been there 3-4 times, loved it

ezbtr

Commander
plannin on escapin N. CA, renting my house out, will pay mortgage, loved the fishing. hunting, boating prospects, no tax!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
There is no such place as one with no taxes.

I'm about 60 miles (Commonly referred to as "less than one hour". People don't say the mileage around here.) N of Austin.

Unless your job is pretty near your house, I recommend NOT living in Austin and commuting any distance to work. (also don';t work in Austin and commute any appreciable distance) While its STILL an easier commute than what I used to deal with while in the Navy, from Livermore area to NAS Alameda (20 yrs ago)... Its just annoying to waste an hour going 5 miles.
(Note that I almost never go to Austin)
Austin has some of the worst traffic issues in Texas.

Note: If you are "escaping CA"... don't try to turn Texas into what you are running away from.

Housing costs are WAY cheaper than the greater SF Bay area. People have been known to sell their 2 br, 900 sq ft CA home on a postage stamp lot, Pay off the mortgage of 50%+ of the sale price, move to TX and buy 5 acres + a 3000 sq ft house for cash.

Property taxes are higher as a % of house value. Sales tax isn't that much different. You have to essentially pay current value sales tax when you "import" your car from CA to TX and register it here.
Someone got the bright idea of creating toll roads. For most purposes you can avoid them, but they do save time and thus gasoline, which means you probably come out cheaper to pay the toll. I just hate having to pay the road taxes twice.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And here I thought NC was one of the "go to" states? What's chasing you away? The reason I ask is, eventually we want to get out of the frozen tundra and NC was one place on the list.....

aspeck

Staff member
Well, there you go, Musky, you can rent Heinz's house!

southkogs

Staff member
Heinz is in Northern California, not North Carolina, right? North Carolina is a go to state for a lot of folks.

The South is calling Musky!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Got that right, kogs! Tennessee is also on the list...:D

I thought Northern California was gorgeous? But, I guess it's still part of the Republic of California. Like some Californians call it....

Maclin

Admiral
There is no Texas State tax, so other methods are used to fund Schools and such. No sales tax on food in Texas, that is nice. But no free ride as others have suggested, funds are made up in other ways. Vehicle registrations are low though, no "luxury" tax on vehicles, have to get stuff inspected but maybe you are used to that. Had to title the outboard engine and the hull, but the outboard was just a one time fee and the boat is very 2 years but not very high. I am not in Austin but do enjoy North Texas here in Denton. Austin is about a 3 hour drive straight south, go there once a year or so, I like it for visiting, but like Dallas it is kind of busy for me.

ezbtr

Commander
I'm at the time, medically retired, from the profit I make off of renting this place out (goes for $2500 a month) and disability, it'll pay a nice mortgage anywhere else! :)

aspeck

Staff member
As long as renters don't trash the place or stick you with no rent for a couple months till you get them evicted (and the expense that goes with that). I would be scared to death basing a mortgage on 1 rental property income. Way too many things to go wrong and nothing to back up the missing income. Just my opinion on that matter.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As long as renters don't trash the place or stick you with no rent for a couple months till you get them evicted (and the expense that goes with that). I would be scared to death basing a mortgage on 1 rental property income. Way too many things to go wrong and nothing to back up the missing income. Just my opinion on that matter.

Based on experience, this man knows of what he speaks.......;)

Tnstratofam

Commander
My mother and sister have lived near Austin since 1992. Sis lives in between Round Rock and Cedar Park. Mom lives much further out in between Lago Vista and Marble Falls.

Austin proper is expensive and crowded. The outskirts Round Rock, Cedar Park, Lago Vista etc, are a little more affordable but still pricey compard to some places.

Everything around Austin is growing fast. Outgrowing the water table in my opinion. That along with high city taxes can get costly. Sis has a 45 to 60 minute commute to Seaton Hospital where she works on a good day. Traffic is tough.

Mom has an hour or more commute to get to Austin itself. She doesn't usually go much farther than Cedar Park. Step dad works in Austin at IBM and works from home as much as possible to avoid traffic.

Did I mention the Traffic in Austin?

I've only visited over the years, and Mom and Sis love it there. I'm just a mountain boy at heart I guess.

Good luck on you move, and do some checking on the local city and county taxes. They probably aren't bad compared to Cali, but I'm betting you'll be shocked.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If I was going to live in Texas, I would live in Austin. Saying that...Sorry, but it's not worth living in a place that's so freaking hot. I say that after it was 110 here today.