Who gives their kids alcohol?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who gives their kids alcohol?

Universally, 21 years old. Some years back, a few States experimented with 18 years. The results were devastating. [/QB]<br />
18 here, although I'm not sure if every Australian state is the same.<br /><br />We're a lot more relaxed about laws on kids with alcohol than the US. I don't know that we're any worse off or better off for it.<br /><br />Laws are pretty ineffective as far as stopping a lot of people doing things they really want to, whether it's drinking (e.g Prohibition), gambling, prostitution or abortion. Banning them makes it more attractive to some people. We used to have pubs shut on Sundays here but when I was driving taxis 35 years ago I could always take a passenger to a pub or somewhere else that'd sell sly grog out the back after hours. Same way I could take them to a "massage parlour", where the deal was I could have a girl or money if I wanted it. I didn't. Police got their cut for protecting them. Everybody was sort of happy. So much for laws requiring Sunday temperance and banning prostitution. Since both were legalised there's no market for sly grog and prostitution probably ain't as expensive as it was. It's better now, if only because it removes a couple of areas to corrupt police and public officials.<br /><br />Grog, weed, meth, ecstasy, heroin and maybe coke are available in every suburb and every school to every kid who wants them. Any parent who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand. My son could get me some if I wanted it at his school. I wouldn't know where to get it otherwise nowadays.<br /><br />If the worst he does before he matures a bit is to get badly drunk a few times and spew his guts up like a lot of us did I'll be content. It's better than dying or being maimed for life in a car crash or picking up a real drug habit. Or killing someone else in a car crash and going to gaol for a few years.

Stratosfied

Ensign

My dad never drank around the house while we were coming up. I grew up in MS and got my drivers license at 15. Well, one night got a 8 pack of Miller Hi Life. Drank probally three. Came home,(on time), and the old man was still up. Well he smelled the beer on me and he made mom stay up with me while he went out. You cannot believe the terror that was going on in my head. He got back and had a case of beer and a fifth of Crown. Well he proceeded to tell me that he had been waiting for the day he could 'share' a brew with his son. He and I began drinking, Man, he could toss em back. Well I got completely hammered and I did not drink again till I graduated. A very painful lesson. :eek:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

As far back as I can remember my dad let me drink. Whenever he had a beer, at home, at the lake wherever, I was allowed to take a sip or two whenever I wanted. Not too many sips on a night though. Their thought, if I drank at home I would not be curious and drink when I was a teenager. The policy was if I wanted to have a friend over to get drunk they would buy the booze, but we stayed there. I never took part in this for some reason. It was just too weird, and would ruin the buzz. The first time I got drunk ws at home with mom and dad drinking some nasty home made dandelion wine. Mom made this, but it was so nasty only dads drunk friend was the only one that would drink it. I downed a good sized bottle when I was about 10 or so.<br />This training or conditioning didn't help though, when I was in high school I drank way too much. Now I drink about a 12 pack or less per year.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Never let mine, but I don't drink so it wasn't an option. So far as adults none have gone into rehab.

one more cast

Captain

When I was a young boy I would visit my grandma who lived in the other half of our house (connected by an open doorway). Every night she would give me ovalteen or a small glass of beer. I also let my kids have a sip now and then while growing up. It seems that if you don't make such a big deal over the little stuff and let them try it then they tend to be more apt to leave it alone later. I have always been very open with my girls and I am glad I was because now they come to me with all their problems. I never tell them what to do though, I just give them points to ponder.

ehenry

Commander

I've offered beer to my boy several times when we were over at the hunting camp. Over there we're 9 miles in the swamp and theres nothing he could do to hurt himself other than maybe fall in the fire or walk into a tree. Every time I've offered it he's turned it down. I'm not sure if its cause I'm there or he just doesn't like it. I know one thing, I'm glad he doesn't drink it cause most all his running buddies are in to drinking and cigarettes a couple of them have been popped with DUI, Minor in possesion and such....SO, I'm counting my blessings that my boy isn't. With spring break coming up I"m not sure what thats going to hold for him. He's wanting to go to the beach with the girlfriends family which is fine with me. If that falls through I'm thinking about taking him and a friend to Venice, Louisiana and do some marsh fishing for redfish and speckled trout. We'll just have to see.

gaugeguy

Captain

My Dad used to give me a sip or three when we were fishing when I was a little guy. I don't believe that stopped/encouraged me to drink more/less when I was a teenager. I drank and partied quite a bit, probably too much. That being said, I do give my boys a sip off a beer every now and then. The difference being my dad would let me do it at the lake with many people around, I won't do it unless we are at the house.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Andrew [/quote]Universally, 21 years old. Some years back, a few States experimented with 18 years. The results were devastating. [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />Here it is 18.

Skinnywater

Commander

I played bartender last Thanksgiving. We all had a great time. My oldest Daughter(27)likes Rum&Coke. My middle daughter(22)likes Budweiser.<br />The youngest daughter(19)didn't fall from the tree, Crown Royal on the rocks.<br />I'll drink with them anytime, nice to hear the girls giggle and carry on together at home again.

salty87

Commander

i lived in Louisiana in the 80's when the age was changing from 18 to 21..i was in the grandfathered group that could start at 18 while those a year behind had to wait until they made 21.<br /><br />it was a loophole to keep the drinking age low while still getting federal highway funds. the results, in new orleans, were not devastating to anyone except maybe the bar owners but they are still thriving.<br /><br />i'm sure it was more common in new orleans to let kids drink early. we had to start training young!<br /> <br />but seriously, kids will be kids and they will drink and they will one day drink too much. i was glad to have family and friends around and to also be at a safe place like my house for the first time i had too much.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it depends on the drinking culture in your local area. Needless to say, over here there is a BIG drinking culture. And its pretty serious binge drinking too. The legal age is 18 but it is really easy for 11 and 12 year olds to get into a pub/nite club every weekend. <br /> <br />I work with kids(14-18 year-olds) who have been kicked out of school and I can say honestly that 7 out of ten of them go out every single weekend and get so drunk that they can't remember where they were and what they did.<br /><br />The sad thing is that its pretty much socially-acceptable for these kids to go out and get plastered, even though it is against the law.<br />Its worse now than ever because nowadays kids have money from part-time jobs so they can afford to buy drink/drugs or whatever takes their fancy.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> sure.. drunk kids go to bed earlier..
Good tip. <br /><br />I'll give 'em a lot more next time.<br /><br />Being responsible and just giving them a small taste left them capable of talking most of the night.<br /><br />Next time they'll be lucky if they don't need a liver transplant next day.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Michael Jackson gives his kids alcohol. But then again, their not really his kids, are they.<br /> :eek:

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I, for one, won't give my kids any alcohol.<br /><br />I don't drink alcohol myself and will encourage my kids to avoid it.<br /> <br />For many people, there may not be anything wrong with drinking a small amount of alcohol. I'm going to play the safe odds and avoid it altogether. There are plenty of other beverages to satisfy my thirst.<br /><br />Here are some facts:<br />100% of alcoholics started off as casual drinkers. <br />100% of those who abstained from alcohol never became alcoholics.<br />100% of people who don't take that first sip of alcoholic, never risk being intoxicated (poisoned) by it.<br />100% of people who don't take that first sip of alcoholic never get "date raped" as a result of them doing things that are "out of character" due to intoxication. Which one of us hasn't acted the "fool" when we were drunk and did things that we later regretted? I did once (I admit it). I have counseled way too many teenage girls who had that very thing happen. It crushes their spirit!<br /><br />There is not one verse in the Bible that clearly states that we should not drink alcohol. The Bible only states that it is wrong to get drunk. In part because I don't know when I go from being sober to being affected by the alcohol, I don't take a chance by having just a couple. Plus the few times I have had a sip, I didn't really enjoy it.<br /><br />So much of drinking alcohol is about a boy "being a man". It is a macho thing to do. Few boys drink beer (for example) because it tastes good. If you think so, watch them take that first drink. (You know the bitter beer commercials :D ) They do it to impress their friends in many cases. Unfortunatly, the girls today want to be popular themselves and doing the "correct" thing isn't going to make them popular in many cases. Drinking to impress their friends is a sure way to obtain that popularity. And if while intoxicated you "give it up" to a boy (or several), you become even more popular.<br /><br />For my kids, I'm doing my best to instill in them a healthy sense of self-worth so they won't feel like they have to do certain things to impress their "friends". I know, I have a TALL task in front of me, but I'm going to try. :cool:

Skinnywater

Commander

Posted in part by JamesCoste;<br />
In part because I don't know when I go from being sober to being affected by the alcohol, I don't take a chance by having just a couple.
James your points are well taken. <br />However, the point of many here and the topic starter is to teach real life lessons.<br />Asking, telling, or preaching to another young inexperienced free will rarely works. It is the actual living of lifes lessons that give a person the experience of joy and mistakes. Experience is real knowledge, and both are the seeds of wisdom.<br />Genuine wisdom is best achieved by well rounded individuals.<br />To recognize limits or moderation is obtained through experience.<br /><br />The only fact that is 100% is that mistakes will happen with or without alcohol.<br />That life and death will happen with or without alcohol.<br />And while alcohol may be responsible for some regrets. It isn't the cause of most of them.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

When I was young, I would be allowed a glass or two of wine on holidays and New Years. Always in my parents presence. This was allowed as long as I can remember. I've only been "drunk" once, maybe twice depending on your definition. As it is now I have one, maybe two beers a night and then not every night. A twelve pack will last me 3-4 weeks. So did me behavior develop because of my parents allowing me to have alcohol, or was it something else? My mother, aunt (her sister) and my cousin all developed alcoholism. I did not. My eldest son was shocked the first time he saw me open a beer. <br />My 3 yr old son likes Pepsi, especially Grandpa's Pepsi, in the blue cans. One night I was drink a Labatt Blue and he grabbed my blue can and found out he didn't like daddy's "Pepsi". He wouldn't drink Grandpa's Pepsi for awhile either. However, when I had a Killians red, he was pestering me for some of my pop. Remebering his reaction to the Labatts, I decided to let him try it. He showed me how smart I was. I had to fight him to get my beer back. After that I couldn't open a Killians until he went to bed. I would not allow my children to drink like I was allowed. But I hope my behavior and treatment of alcohol will be a good role model for my children. <br />The rebate rages on...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

To tell the truth, I don't see any point to having "just one". The whole function of drinking is to reach a desired level of intoxication. It might be a mild level, or a severe level, but it is still some desired level.<br /><br />Let me put it this way: They make alcohol free beer and wine, but nobody makes alcohol free liquor.