Who gives their kids alcohol?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My nearly 15 y.o son had a mate of the same age around last night. They both wanted some grog. Rang the other kid's parents and their view is the same as ours: the kids are independent thinkers and it's better to let them experiment under supervision at home rather than somewhere else on their own or with mates who have no idea of how dangerous a lot of alcohol can be on a small body unused to it. Like I did behind the garage at my son's age with half a flagon of sherry. It was all I could afford from the liquor store which very kindly sold me a half gallon flagon so I could take it home on my bike. To this day I still can't drink sherry. <br /><br />Gave my son a thin finger of schnapps as he wanted to try that. The other kid got a light beer because he didn't like spirits. They both worked at drinking it but wouldn't have admitted it if I'd asked them. I did have the pleasure of seeing my kid take a sip of it when he didn't know I was looking and see him screw his face up something shocking.<br /><br />My son has had a little whisky twice before in the past few months under similar conditions, although I should have told him the first time to sip it rather than throwing it down in one gulp like in the movies. Second time I told him to sip it. He had to work at it, but it's fun being treated like a grown up when you're sitting around the table with the other adults drinking on Xmas night.<br /><br />I'm glad he asks me for it. He's glad I treat him like an emerging adult. I don't think he's going to become an alcoholic because of this.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Who gives their kids alcohol?

I think you are handling it well.<br />I have a 16 year old son who is starting to want to go out to parties. I refuse to buy him beer but he and his mates pool their money to get a box somehow anyway.<br />Realistically I cant stop him drinking , so I have had a few quiet talks with him and pointed out how rat**** he felt when he had overdone it, and the times he enjoyed the most were the mellow ones where nobody was out to prove anything.<br />I have been the same as you around home, but it is the drinking culture of a small country town that bothers me, and in our area there is tons of dope as well which is one more thing for a parent to worry about. Between ourselves and other parents we organise safe transport to and from the events.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree.<br /><br />I started getting as small glass of wine with dinner when I was about 12. At 15 I had a beer with my Dad.<br /><br />I got really drunk on homemade hard cider when I was about 16. My Dad held my head while I barfed my soul into the commode.<br /><br />A pretty young age to come to understanding of what alcohol does when abused.<br /><br />I don't think I ever got really drunk again.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Tinkerer, I think most parents that drink alcoholic beverages tend to pass some onto their kids. Mine did and the funny thing is I can't remember what age I was. I think it was when I was 6 or 7, but it was always a sip or two. Never a half bottle or more.<br /><br />In the states now (at least Ohio) it has changed. Parents cannot share booze with thier kids that are under age. They are no longer permitted to let them smoke either. <br /><br />JB, my gandpop always made hard cider from his orchard. He never was a drinking man, but he sure liked his cider. I liked it too! :D

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> In the states now (at least Ohio) it has changed. Parents cannot share booze with thier kids that are under age. <br />
A very good idea.<br /><br />Let's apply it to cars and guns. Turn the magic age and hop into the driver's seat and press the loud pedal or grab a gun and start yanking on the trigger without any training. The last thing any kid needs is to learn how to use stuff that might harm them or others before they can get their hands on it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Being a kid in Holland, there never was a legal drinking age. It seemed completely normal to have some beer even when we were 12, 13 years old. either you liked it or you did not. It never had anything to do with ego,it was just a matter of taste. Here it is a criminal offense to let your kids share a beer with you.<br />I think some do-gooders should try and get a life!!!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It is real hard today to raise a child without the influence of what others have to say. The sad part is the others probably don't have and never have raised children. <br /><br />If you can put your life on the line to fight for your country, they should be allowed the benefits like the rest of the legal adult citizens.<br /><br />Today it is hard to teach your children about sex when they pick it up from their classmates first.<br /><br />My kids are gone now (whew what an experience) and they were taught by me to drive and shoot. This year I think it is time for the grandsons to learn gun safty. After that the old go-cart comes out of the garage for driving practice.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Never had a son to teach anything but a couple of weeks ago I had the privalege of teaching my 7 year old grandson how to use his first pocket knife and BB pistol. I don't know who enjoyed it more, me or him. <br /><br />As far as drinking goes I think it's best to supervise teenagers having their first experiences with alcohol. If you don't they will try it anyway. The "forbidden" is always more fun and the potential for abuse is greater.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Fine for your own kids...however even with another parents permission I would never give it to another kid...<br /><br />serving your own kid is one thing another kid is against the law, even with permission<br /><br />The problem is that anyone can report you for your actions<br /><br />However I will be doing the same thing when my boys get older (8 & 6)<br /><br />Like everything in life I feel my boys need to know through good experiences...<br /><br />and<br /><br />Rolmops - countries that have a long tradition of things is very different from the US where there are so many traditions. What you do in your home is your business, (usually)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My parents rarely drinked, but occasionally I would get a sip of whiskey.<br /><br />I didnt start drinking till 16, and never got really drunk till 19. In high school, I always had to be able to walk in the house without raising attention.<br /><br />I wont ever give any other kids alcohol, too many sue happy people.<br /><br />Ken

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

From the age of 14 my boys were allowed a swig of dads beer. At the age of 15 they were allowed to have a beer shandy (half lemonade half beer) at 16 my boys were allowed their first beer maybe two. From 17 they were welcome to take a beer from the fridge at any time they wished to, they seldom did. Of course the proviso was you drink my last beer and you're deadmeat.<br /><br />My reasoning was simple, if you are allowed to drink in front of your parents you remove from them the desire to do it behind your back.<br /><br />At my youngests 18th we sent out invitations to all his friends some younger than 18 and stated that there would be alcohol at the BBQ. We bought a pile of beer, some shooters etc. Before herself and I went to dinner I explained to the kids that if their parent consented they were welcome to have a drink otherwise not and that I trusted them. We went to dinner and left them to themselves. Got back at about 00:30, all the kids were still there, dancing the night away and NOBODY was even close to getting trashed. We even had a bunch of booze leftover the next day.<br /><br />When I asked my son why they had not consumed all he replied that drinking was not a big deal and that he needed to prove nothing as he was allowed to drink in front of us, also that his friends wished not to violate my trust.<br /><br />Worked for me.<br /><br />Hey I'm not saying that the boys were "clean" all the time but at leats when they were not their sober partners were allowed to drive home.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Andrew, aside from the subject of good/bad and/or right/wrong, you took a huge gamble. If just one of those kids had overdone it, left the party and gotten in trouble someone else would own your home.<br /><br />Not a risk I would take. However we have allowed our kids to sample any of the resident adult beverages that they were so inclined to. So far, other than a few sips, no takers! Yuk!!, is the universal sentiment.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi boomyall,<br /><br />Yup I do agree. Over here were have less of a "my lawyer can beat up your lawyer" approach but are slowly getting there.<br /><br />Over here you can only get your drivers licence once you turn 18. My son did not have his and neither did most his friends therefore the rules were that each kid had to get a lift home from their parents or me. Perhaps thats why I was able to be a little more liberal.<br /><br />If the kids came in their own motor cars, being able to drive a 16 I would have had a substantially different approach.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

My little brother, when he was 6 or 7, got a sip of some wine at Thanksgiving from my dad for the first time. He always used to let us have just a little wine on the special occasions so he didn't really think anything of it. Turns out the little bro really likes the taste of wine! The rest of the night he went around the room, quietly taking sips out of everyones wine glass. The adults were busy playing cards and there were lots of kids running around so they never really noticed. Next thing I know my little bro is sitting in the living room shooting himself with a ping pong gun and laughing his butt off while doing it. I know little kids like that shouldn't get drunk, but it was truly a comical sight. And the best part is, I got it all on video. :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I gave my kids whiskey in their bottle when they were babies to help put them to sleep. I always thought that it hel....... I guess I should tell them truth. No, I didn't do that, wanted to, but didn't. <br /><br />I have 2 girls, 9 & 3. I don't think I will be doing too much alcohol training with them other than enough to show them its not too good for them. The thought of Johny come lately teaching them about alcohol and the parts of a car,more specificly the back seat, has me concerned. I want them just aware of what it does to you. Now for the double standard. If I had a son I would do it differently. At about 13 he would get major plastered at my expense. Go ahead and break him of the habit before it starts. After that I would allow a beer when fishing or camping, that type of thing. I have one nephew. Poor little Austin is gonna have a good life. He has so much to look forward to. Gonna spoil him rotten with guns,knives, hot rods, camping, you name it, he's gonna do it.<br /><br />My dad quit drinking when I was young and didn't start back till I was about 16. He would occasionaly have a beer and let me have one too. I was drinking plenty without his consent though. My mom found out about my drinking and established ground rules. It was basicly she knew I was gonna do it so keep it in moderation. Don't ever come in her house drunk. Don't ever drive drunk. Easy enough. On bacculaurate (Services one week before graduation) night they took me out to eat. Afterwards they took me to the bar. I had several drinks. Then the shocker. My cousin had been saving leftovers from parties for about 2 months. We had 3 coolers full of all different kinds of stuff. With the folks permission we went out and got hammered. I violated my parents rules that night. I walked into there bedroom at midnight and turned on the lights. I said "Well mom, looks like I come home drunk, whats my punishment?" As soon as I finished saying it I passsed out. I fell forward and hit my head on the fram of the waterbed. I had a nice cut from one side to the other of my forehead. They took care of me and let me make it because I always followed her rules.<br /><br />Man I miss being a kid. :)

KRS

Banned

Not a chance, heck no, no way. Did I mention no? :) <br /><br />In Arizona it's called "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" or some such thing.<br /><br />I had lots of friends in school whose parents thought they were "helping" by providing alcohol to them. What the parents didn't see (in these cases at least) was the grossly overindulgent binge drinking the kids participated in because mom and dad said it was okay to drink.<br /><br />Before you all write me hate mail.... I know that he wasn't writing about drunk driving! Just food for thought, I loaded a 9 year old boy into a medivac chopper cause his older brother thought drinking and driving was okay. 9 yr old boy found older brother (who was ejected out of vehicle) before we got there, older brother was a victim of terrible head and body trauma, dead on arrival, probably dead when the vehicle rolled over him. This was a single vehicle accident caused by the driver. Irreversible damage to that kid occured that night, I could see it in his face. A firefighter quit that night, he couldn't handle it.<br /><br />I think that parents may think they are showing their kids everything about alcohol, but the kids see it as "step 1" and will definitely experiment with more alcohol and stronger alcohol with their friends because it's been condoned by mom/dad.<br /><br />My two cents.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Underage drinking at parties sanctioned and supervised by parents is a problem in my town. I find it hard to believe that a parent would serve alcohol to 12, 15, 17 year old children, not even their own, but especially not someone elses.<br /><br />Do you really think that "tastes bad" or "got drunk & felt like crap" will teach them not to drink? How many adults get drunk regardless of how bad it tastes or how bad they feel the next morning? Do you really think it shows them that "it's not a big deal?" Darn right it does! So when they're at somebody else's house with access to liquor & adults not around, who's going to say, "let's drink some of this, it's no big deal, my dad let's me get drunk all the time.<br /><br />just my 2¢ but I feel strongly about it.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I've gotta agree with azfyrfyter63 and jtexas.. <br /><br />No way, no how, no sir.. <br /><br />When I was a little snapper, my folks gave me the ol' "you don't have to worry about drugs or alcohol killing ya, cause if we catch ya messing with that kinda stuff (and we will catch ya), we'll kill ya..." :D I'm 32 now, and they probably still would.. :eek: :p

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi<br /><br />What is the legal drinking age (when one is able to legally order alcohol in a public venue) in the US or does it vary from state to state?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Andrew Leigh:<br /> Hi<br /><br />What is the legal drinking age (when one is able to legally order alcohol in a public venue) in the US or does it vary from state to state?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew
Universally, 21 years old. Some years back, a few States experimented with 18 years. The results were devastating.