Who Dat!!!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Drew Brees: 5,087 yards, single season!!

Dan Marino: 5,084 yards, single season.

27 years in the making and one of the nicest guys in the league got it done!

WHO DAT!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Who Dat!!!!

How many games did each need??

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Could be setting up a showdown between Brees and Rogers. That is, unless SF has something to say about it....

angus63

Captain

Drew Brees: 5,087 yards, single season!!

Dan Marino: 5,084 yards, single season.

27 years in the making and one of the nicest guys in the league got it done!

WHO DAT!

He dat. I am sure alot of passing records will be overtaken in the near future. The rules have been morphing the league into a passing game. I hope runningbacks don't go the way of manual transmissions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outstanding accomplishment. There are more superstar Q'backs today than ever before at one time.

However, I don't think a superstar Q'back is as much fun to watch as a Jim Brown or Emmit Smith.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually, I think Tom Brady is the one to watch at this point. He is a little under 200 yards from Marino's record. If Brees plays the next game, he can stay ahead of Brady, but coach Payton has to balance that against resting Brees for the playoffs.

Tough decision!

aspeck

Staff member

Leave it to a N'orlean'ser to not know who their own QB is! :facepalm::eek::D

Pretty amazing the amount of contending teams with a great offense but not much of a defense! The game is a changin'!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Leave it to a N'orlean'ser to not know who their own QB is! :facepalm::eek::D

Pretty amazing the amount of contending teams with a great offense but not much of a defense! The game is a changin'!

???

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Also...
Did you hear about the Falcons actually UPSET that Payton kept Brees in and throwing for the record?
Calling it "Unneccesary" ??

You have to be kidding me....

I agree. It's a once in a lifetime achievement. You get a chance to accomplish something great, you go for it......

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

It has to do more with the rule changes than anything. Not saying he's not good, but Dan Marino played in a time when the NFL was tough, QB's were allowed to get hit "hard", and QB's didn't throw for 4000 a lot.

Taken from a football board I visit...

Number of 4,000+ yard passers:

1980: 1
1981: 1
1982: 0 (shortened season)
1983: 2
1984: 3
1985: 1
1986: 2
1987: 0
1988: 1
1989: 2

and now...

2004: 5
2005: 2
2006: 5
2007: 7
2008: 6
2009: 10
2010: 5
2011: 7 as of now, probably 10 after next week.

Rather than looking at one case, it's important to look at passing numbers as a whole, and the numbers don't lie.

Dan > Drew

aspeck

Staff member

1st part was making a joke on the "Who Dat" ... he is your Quarterback! Okay, it was lame ... sorry.

2nd part was pointing out how the game has changed since Marino's day. I was not making a comment about who is the better QB. Look at the defensive stats of the Packers and Patriots ... opportunistic, but not dominating. The "old" attage was that defenses won championships. Not so sure how accurate that is in today's game with the changing rules and the protection of the receivers and quarterbacks.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

1st part was making a joke on the "who dat" ... He is your quarterback! Okay, it was lame ... Sorry.

2nd part was pointing out how the game has changed since marino's day. I was not making a comment about who is the better qb. Look at the defensive stats of the packers and patriots ... Opportunistic, but not dominating. The "old" attage was that defenses won championships. Not so sure how accurate that is in today's game with the changing rules and the protection of the receivers and quarterbacks.

o.i.c.

ngt

also, Drew has more attempts and 2/3 of his games this year were in a dome.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yes, there have been rule changes and the game is different in many ways. On the other hand, if you engage in never ending discussions on why this record or that record "isn't the same," you take the enjoyment out of it. The bottom line is that a bunch of quarterbacks in this era have had the opportunity to best Marino's record and Brees was the first to do it. Brady probably will do the same in his next game and we'll have to see if Drew stays ahead of him.

I think a great deal of Dan Marino. That he set his record in his second year as a pro is impressive, as are the other stats that he held at the time. He was a top pick for the USFL, but not the NFL. In spite of this, he chose to pass on the USFL and go directly to the NFL as a backup. That means he got about a half season of playing time his first year and set the record during his second year. Simply put, he proved his detractors wrong and became one of the best to play the game.

As far as Brees goes, I am just happy for him. He is much more than a football player to the people of New Orleans. Its been a long six years since Katrina for a lot of people who lost everything and having an outstanding leader for the team has meant a lot to us. Simply put, having a team that never could seem to get it together, "suddenly" become a contender and then a SB winner, has been great for our collective mindset. More than that, however, Brees is a great person off of the field. He and Sean Payton have lead a team that has been very active in the community. They are respected here and they are appreciated very much. That's one of the reasons why we are sort of "football goofy" with all of the "Who Dat" stuff. We love our team just a little more than is the case in most places.

So, for however long Drew holds this record, we honor him and aren't much concerned about the differences in football today v. sometime in the past.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm, headed down to Ft Lauderdale in a few weeks. Better make reservations for Marinos now!

ngt

I understand you like the guy. Cool. Honor him for being a great QB. Honor him for being a great leader for his team. Honor him for being a great guy in a time of need in New Orleans. But I can't see honoring him for beating a record held by an all time great QB, in this pass friendly league we're sitting in today. He's playing 2/3 of his games indoors. He's already had more attempts than Marino. Give him the record, but I'm glad he knows that QB's like Marino and other greats of that time are seeing a huge asterisk by any passing records set today and are making it publicly known. It's like people having a party for a player that beats a record that has stood since the 12 game seasons and saying "well, times change".

aspeck

Staff member

Hey Jay ... agree with everything you said. I like Brees as a QB and although I don't know him personally, he seems like a real "stand-up guy" who I would enjoy spending time with. I am happy that he has broken Marino's record. Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow, and I hope he stays ahead of Brady. It is truly an amazing feet. If it were easy, he wouldn't be the one breaking the record!

My post was not to discredit him, but to point out how the game has changed. Call me old fashioned, but I love defensive slugfests more than the run and gun "quick strike" offenses (Unless you have a "quick Strike" offense AND a superb defense).

Edit: I see my post came after ngt's and I differ from him in that I think Brees should be honored for breaking the record, as should the person after him and the person after him. No asterisk needed.