Which whaaler to get?

mthieme

Captain
I'm interested in a 15' Sport. The new ones look awful enticing. Which is better - an older one with the wood interior or the newer all fiberglass interior models?

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Which whaaler to get?

It is not much of a debate for me. I have a 87' Outrage and love it. I have never considered a new one. The old ones work great, hold their value and with the money you save you can trick it out anyway you want. Before I found my Outrage I was looking for a Montauk style 17 footer. I like the Outrage because it has a 40 gallon interior tank, lots of wood, can handle a 150hp, and can take a pretty good wave hit. It is real stable and boy is it fun. Like all Whalers, it has a versatile platform for lakes/bays/ocean and fishing/skiing/working/wave hopping.

mthieme

Captain

I like the style of the older ones too.
After comparing, the new ones look like they would be more maintenance free what with no mahogany to keep up, etc.
I'm also considering that the prices on new ones are extremely attractive. The 15' Sport all decked out and powered runs around $17K. Hell, the motor is half of that.
Finding a used one is tough. They're around but nobody wants to get off 'em.
I searched for two years to find a 13' sport and wound up with a McKee Craft. So I don't want to go through this again.
One fellow I work with has a 15' Sport that needs the wood replaced including the console. It's been sitting on his lift for at least 6 years. He won't get off of it - or fix it. Seems sacriligious.
I've recently met a neighbor who does something with charities and used boats...there's hope yet.
thanks

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would go for the older model in this case, that said, the newer models ride better, have better quality, improved foam bonding and are just larger, more stable overall. The older tri-hull types will pound the snot out of you. The newer Whalers have a much improved ride and are much dryer and lower maintenance.

JR