Which Used Yamaha??

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been pressured by family to buy a PWC. After much research and understanding maintenance, break downs and guzzling gas, I've decided on a lower priced Yamaha. I've had a few boats before and familiar with the basics of impeller changes and carb cleaning/rebuild. My current options for skis at this time on CL are:

1 - 2000 Yamaha Gp800y. 95 hours for $2350 with trailer & cover.
2 - 2004 yamaha XL 700. Hours unknown for $2700 with trailer & Cover.
3 - Package deal with 2 wave runners. 1995 WAVE RAIDER 700 WITH 138 HRS 2 seater. 1997 WAVE VENTURE 760 WITH 183 HRS 3 seater. With dbl trailer for $3500.

I'm not needing a bunch of speed. Something to pull a tube. Any good ... bad about my available choices. Thanks

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which Used Yamaha??

Reg,

My lady neighbor faced the same decision a couple of weeks ago and may have made the wrong decision. All of the options you mention are pretty much "bullet proof", and will pull a tube, but the condition of the skis and the trailer should be of concern. You need to inspect and water test the skis. Assure the engine starts easily, comes up to speed smoothly as you accelerate, and check the oil injection hoses to verify they flexible and are not brittle or hard. Check to see if the saddle is in good condition with no rip or tares. Also check the trailer to see if the axle bearings spin free with no grinding noises, the lights work, and the tires are in good shape. Inspect the hull for dock rash and the bottom for cracks, splits (impacts), and beach abrasion (thin or missing gel coat). Excessive gel coat cracking probably means it was a wave jumper (not good for the hull). PWCs need a clear title but the trailer probably only needs to be re-licensed (bill of sale).

Watch for excessive smoking, vibrations, and knocking from the engine and impeller. Also corrosion on the drive/ impeller may indicate it was water stored on a float.

My neighbor did not do a through inspection prior to paying for the skis and has learned her $3200 purchase of a rig similar to your option #3 - is only worth $1000 on a dealership trade-in.

My personal choice would be for the newest ski, but condition of the ski shows if the owner was careful or reckless with the equipment.

erie _guy

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which Used Yamaha??

Simple and Sound advice ... thanks.
Reg,

My lady neighbor faced the same decision a couple of weeks ago and may have made the wrong decision. All of the options you mention are pretty much "bullet proof", and will pull a tube, but the condition of the skis and the trailer should be of concern. You need to inspect and water test the skis. Assure the engine starts easily, comes up to speed smoothly as you accelerate, and check the oil injection hoses to verify they flexible and are not brittle or hard. Check to see if the saddle is in good condition with no rip or tares. Also check the trailer to see if the axle bearings spin free with no grinding noises, the lights work, and the tires are in good shape. Inspect the hull for dock rash and the bottom for cracks, splits (impacts), and beach abrasion (thin or missing gel coat). Excessive gel coat cracking probably means it was a wave jumper (not good for the hull). PWCs need a clear title but the trailer probably only needs to be re-licensed (bill of sale).

Watch for excessive smoking, vibrations, and knocking from the engine and impeller. Also corrosion on the drive/ impeller may indicate it was water stored on a float.

My neighbor did not do a through inspection prior to paying for the skis and has learned her $3200 purchase of a rig similar to your option #3 - is only worth $1000 on a dealership trade-in.

My personal choice would be for the newest ski, but condition of the ski shows if the owner was careful or reckless with the equipment.

erie _guy