Which Trophy to buy?

Patty Pooh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am undecided between buying a new model year 05 Trophy 2002(20 feet) or 1902 (19 feet). They both have points about them. Does anyone here have any feedback between either of these 2 models?

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: Which Trophy to buy?

Oh Boy here we go. :D :D :D :D <br /><br />Personaaly I think the trophy's are smart looking boats. I think you should go with which ever one has the eminities that you like the most. If you plan on going out to the ocean go for the extra foot. or if possible go up another 2 to 3 feet but that cuts out any river use, at least around here. Good luck whatever your decision.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The configurations of the transoms are totally different. Most shoppers would have a strong preference for one or the other.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It depends on a lot of things. Do you prefer the eurotransom of the 19xx or the more square back of the 20xx (which does give more cockpit space)? Do you need the cabin? The cabin in the 19xx is very small...more like a toilet and trunk. The baitwell on the 19xx is better positioned and more functional than on the 20xx. I also like the helm layout of the 19xx but that is only because I prefer the topside controls over the side mounted controls. Do you want a pulpit for the anchor? The 20xx has the pulpit to keep the anchor away from the hull. As far as weight both boats weigh about the same. There are a lot of differences between the two boats. Look at both and sea trial both if possible.<br /><br />I just traded in my 2003 1802 on a 2005 2052 (the Admiral wanted the quietness of the I/O - Too bad the smaller Verados weren't available when I bought mine last Fall). For the two years I had her (and 150 hours) the 1802 was one great boat and I'd recommend her to anyone.<br /><br />I just took delivery of my 2005 2052 last weekend and I'm quite happy with it. Pic and link to pictures is below.<br /><br />
2005_Trophy_2052_Starboard_Side_001.sized.jpg
<br /><br /> http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/2005-Trophy-2052

Patty Pooh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your input. Im going to go with the 2002

JRJ

Commander

Nice boat. What HP are you going with?

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can swing it and you like the hard top the time to get it is right now. You won't find it cheaper than ordering it with the boat. The 2002 is a fine boat. The only reason I went with the I/O is the Admiral wanted a quieter boat than the last one. So I made that concession to her. :) And don't forget to get the Pro package. It's worth it for the trim tabs (Lenco) alone.

Patty Pooh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How much weight does a hard top add to the boat?

22trophy

Seaman

I own a Trophy 2002 model, year 2000. Go with this- in any area that isn't hot and humid. Cabin's are almost worthless in hot and humid areas, unless it has A/C. In my Opinion.

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by thisoldboat:<br /> How much weight does a hard top add to the boat?
I haven't had the boat weighed but my guess would be 100 - 150 pounds maximum. The piping is aluminum so the weight is in the top itself. You'll appreciate the top on the colder Fall or early Spring days when you can put up the curtains and capture a little warmth. In the summer it will give you shade and it'll help keep you dry if the weather turns on you. It's wide open without the curtains so it's no different than an open helm/cockpit as far as a breeze. If you boat offshore, you'll have a place to mount your radar and GPS antennae plus you'll have the enclosed electronics cabinet for some of your electronics or just plain overhead storage. :) Of course you lose your 360 degree fishability with it.

TisPHO

Cadet

NICE BOAT MOLE, im thinking of geting the exact same model with extended hardtop just like yours <br /><br />Have you had any problems with it so far? such as the hull, cracking, and wiring.<br /><br />oh. and is the Fresh water cooled worth the extra 1000?

r j f

Seaman

Heck I have a 1993 2002 with a 1985 150hp on it and I love this thing. Nice thing is it's paid for. I have brought a lot of stripers back in this boat.<br />Which ever one you buy I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.<br />Rich

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the compliment TisPHO. As you saw, this is my first season with my 2052. With over 50 hours on her I've had virtually no problems. The hull is solid, there's no spider cracks in the gel coat and the wiring is fine. The wiring is as good if not better than a lot of mid tier boats. They use tinned wire which is color coded. The ends are crimped on but not shrink wrapped. I don't consider that a problem since a lot of top tier boats aren't shrink wrapped either. I will over time replace a lot of the ends and shrink wrap them. It's not that it's required it's just something that I will want to do. <br /><br />I just installed two additional rod holders in the coaming caps (as if the four weren't enough) and had to drill 2 1/2" holes for them. I was supprised that the caps were over one inch thick. They consisted of 3/4" plywood encased in fiberglass and no skid vinylester gel coat. If the caps are built that solid you can imagine how well built the rest of the hull is. <br /><br />As far as the motor, yes I'd recommend FWC if you're going to use it in salt water as it will extend the life of the motor, exhaust manifolds and risers. Plus the motor will run at 180 degrees as designed which is much better for it. If you're going to slip the boat in salt water then I'd recommend you go with the model 2002 and O/B. If you're trailering then the 2052 will be fine. Even with the FWC I flush it each use to make sure the heat exchanger is clean/clear. <br /><br />One tip is if you purchase it with a 4.3L carb model then pay the extra for the remote oil filter. It does not come that way standard on the carb model...only on the MPI model. It will make servicing it so much easier. Likewise, if you want or will want the extended hard top then purchase it as an option with the purchase of the boat because it's much cheaper. After having the hard top I will never have another boat withou one. It allows the breeze through, keeps you out of the sun and gives you places to mount things. It comes with the rocket launcher, electronics cabinet, spreader light and overhead helm lights. <br /><br />The Pro package is another recommended option. It gives you the trim tabs (Lenco), raw water wash down, both wipers and is well worth the money. <br /><br />The boat handles well in 2 - 3 foot slop (especially due to the 19 degree dead rise and her dry weight of 3600 lbs with the 3.0L motor and no hard top). I cruise at 30 mph at 3600 rpm with the admiral and I and fully loaded with a full tank (85 gals). I added an aluminum 4 blade prop (14.5 x 18 x 4) for more low end control and she gets on plane faster and stays on plane as low as 2800 rpm. The hard top does make it a little different handling in a cross wind when approaching the dock but that is overcome with practice.<br /><br />If you need any further info don't hesitate ot ask.

22trophy

Seaman

I own a 2000 year model 2002 with a Force 120hp and a hard top. I go 30 miles offshore, around San Diego and Newport CA, to Catalina Island. 2.2 mpg on my motor with 500 hours of salt water only use. I found a quality issue that endangers this model of SINKING. My live well was not caulked. Sea water flowed from the live well into the hull. I called the Trophy factory. They wanted no part of fixing this factory defect. The good news, 2 hours with a caulking gun fixes this problem.<br />This companies 10 year hull warranty is lacking.<br />Bottom line= this boat is a good value, even with it's potential flaws. Don't count on your warranty.

Dr. Gonzo

Recruit

Does anyone have any detailed instructions on how to eliminate the livewell leak-into-hull issues. I would rather just not use it. Isit as simle as pulling out the drain tower stem ? Thus just letting whatever natural rain water etc. drain out ? OR, is there a danger of having issues with the "inlet hose hole stay open ?

jetling

Recruit

Thanks for your input. Im going to go with the 2002

You won't be sorry! It's a great boat....I have one and have had many boats and by far this one is the best and I have the most fun with it. Couldn't be happier! Good luck you made a great choice! Happy Boating!:p

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the year makes a big difference. Around 2000 to 2003, Trophy did a number of upgrades. After 2003, they stayed much the same.