Which remote controls for 1988 Yamaha 30hp?

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1988 Yamaha 30hp, 3 cylinder, Model # 30ELG. The motor is currently equipped with a tiller and instead of having the starter and kill switch on the motor, it came with a keyed ignition and kill switch mounted in a 4"x4" electrical junction box which has been mounted to my transom. The motor has about a 12" 7 pin connector coming out of it and then the junction box side has the matching 7 pin connector with about a 5-6' lead. The motor has everything needed to be ready to hook up directly to a set of throttle and shift cables.

I recently replaced this motor with a 2020 F25 Yamaha but plan to hang onto this 30 hp. I'm thinking of getting a set of remote controls for it and looking for a small aluminum side console boat to drop it on. I have only had one remote steer boat in my life and I didn't rig it so I don't have much knowledge on it. Is there a specific model of remote controls I need? Is the OEM Yamaha ones the way to go or are there aftermarket ones? Do the remotes typically have a plug and play electrical adapter like my 7 pin harness or would I have to extend and connect the wires directly to the remote?

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I also would like to add, I would like remotes with built in trim switch as I have an aftermarket tilt/trim unit for this outboard.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
704 if top mount wanted. 703 if side mount wanted.
Thank you! I need side mounted so 703 would be it then. Been looking those up on some of the auction sites and seen very few used units available that don't look like total junk and/or are an arm and leg. The rest seem to be Chinese knockoffs.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
If this website does not offer them then any Yamaha dealer can get you one. Plus the control cables.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. Sorry for the dumb question. I just always lived that tiller life!