Which rear nav light position do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campfire

Seaman
I have a 1973 18’ I/O. The boat has a two sided white position light. In the “anchor” selection, both sides light up. In the other selection, only the forward lights up. I have found information pertaining to sailboats which discusses masthead lights verses anchor lights. It would seem that the same rules would apply but…all of the newer boats have a 360 degree white light. So I am unsure what the correct procedure is.

I think on some older boats, there are lighting requirements that are grandfathered but my neighbor who just got his 6 pack said that lights are not grandfathered. Of course another licensed captain with a 1940s Chris Craft with a forward facing white light (not a docking light) says he is required to run that light at night and has the paperwork to prove it (it is a larger boat if that matters).

At the end of the day, what position is legal to run on my vessel and what position will minimize the chances of a vessel “safety inspection”?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rule 23 states, A power driven vessel underway shall exhibit a mast head light forward ( under 50 meters)Side lights and a stern light
Rule 23 continued states, A power driven vessel under 12 meters may, in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule, exhibit an all-round white light and side lights. You are under 12 meters so if your running between dusk and dawn All-round white light and red and green side lights. There is no exception for the age of the boat the only thing that changes would be with the size of the boat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the CFR is based on international maritime law. same rules apply globally when it comes to lighting

Comogene

Cadet
Actually, the old Chris-Craft IS grandfathered. The current rules require the masthead or steaming light to be at least one meter above the sidelights. The old rule allowed the white forward light (a/k/a masthead) to be below the sidelights, typically on the deck at the bow

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That may be but in the colreg's there's no mention of that

Campfire

Seaman
So I did some more investigation. It looks like my boat was outfitted with the old school style lighting as it has a stern light on the back of the hull. The bulb was burned out and I simply did not realize that that was supposed to light up. I figured it was a swim platform light. You don’t know what you don’t know. Now I do. Thank you.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
So on my 20 footer cabin cruiser, the PO installed the red and green up front, a 360 Masthead up on the hardtop and another 360 stern light on the starboard corner. Which one to be lit on the hook or tied up under a bridge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.