Which Oil Filter?

munsonRN

Cadet
Dumb question...I know....BUT

I've searched high and low and also looked through every page (1092pages) of the service manual and could not find the answer to my question.

Which Oil filter do I need?

There is a filter on there now that the previous owner says he just changed....I just want to make sure that the right one is installed.

I have a 1980 Sea Ray 197 with a Mercruiser 898 - 305, 198hp. Serial # 5650290.

I figured out the spark plugs needed and just changed out the fuel/water seperater. WOW was the fuel filter stuck. Took everything I had to get that off. Worried about getting the spark plugs out, but that and an oil change are the next tasks.

Thanks for any and all help that you can give me.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Which Oil Filter?

There's no aftermarket number for the oil filter in the books. Merc want you to use theirs.. The part number is 35-866340Q03... Cross references to a WIX 57099.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Service manuals don't give part numbers for engine and drive parts. Special tools yes, repair and service parts no.

munsonRN

Cadet

Thank you for the helpful information. What would happen if the wrong filter is installed?

Currently there is a Wix 51069 on the engine.

I'm changing it either way......Just curious.

Where else can this information be found? So I don't have to ask questions like this?

munsonRN

Cadet

OK, well I googled around....and the only difference between filters is that the one on the boat now is approx 1" taller. They have the same outside diameter.

Seems like that is OK as long as it fits in there.... Any reason why this wound not be the case?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If that is the only difference, then that's ok... Use it.

To find Merc part numbers I use www.mercruiserparts.com. There is a 'Look up parts with pictures' and you 'drill down' to your engine and then look at the section you're after. It also gives the current price for the genuine item (genuine Merc part). I use that to then find comparable aftermarket.... Just be aware that a lot of the aftermarket stuff is Chinese built, and the quality is, well, dubious...

Chris.......