Which hull brands to avoid

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you have had any glass work done recently, it doesn't take much of a scratch or ding to be in the thousands of dollars !!
From the insurance companies I have spoke with, unless the boat is fairly new ( within 5-10 yrs) most are totaled if a glass boat has any serious damage. But, you're correct that if the repair cost is over 70% they total it out, same for autos. At todays labor and parts cost, that doesn't take much !!
Have looked at the prices of boats lately?

Pretty easy to spend in excess of $ 200k for a decent boat anymore.

The current list price for my 22' boat is $195k. I paid $26k when I bought it 3 years old in 2000.

Boat is currently insured with an agreed value policy of $25K. You can do a ton of glass work for $17K

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have looked at the prices of boats lately?

Pretty easy to spend in excess of $ 200k for a decent boat anymore.

The current list price for my 22' boat is $195k. I paid $26k when I bought it 3 years old in 2000.

Boat is currently insured with an agreed value policy of $25K. You can do a ton of glass work for $17K
Yup, replacement costs are absurd. That is why I will not be selling my older boat. Ironically doing a pretty major cosmetic fiberglass/gelcoat repair on it right now LOL!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have owned 2 Bayliners. Now granted they are older than 2000, I would still never buy another one.

And yes...I have been on and seen the newer ones.