Which hull brands to avoid

Laneman25

Seaman
Shopping for a bowrider boat, 17-19 feet for lake use. Any brands besides Bayliner to avoid? I like Sea Ray and Four Winns, don't know much about other brands. Just want decent hull and interior quality

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
What’s wrong with Bayliner? Had one for 25 years. They get a bad rap because they are entry level taken care of by entry level owners. You take take of it, it will give you many years of service. A lot of boat for the money.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Shopping for a bowrider boat, 17-19 feet for lake use. Any brands besides Bayliner to avoid? I like Sea Ray and Four Winns, don't know much about other brands. Just want decent hull and interior quality
Buy one between 5-10 years if you want a quality interior. Or have the interior redone

Vinyls after 2004 no longer have arsenic as the anti-fungal and they tend to suffer pinking.

Regarding hulls, Bayliner and SeaRay after 2002 and under 25 foot come from the exact same building

Avoid plastic deck fittings or other plastic deck hardware

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Concerning used boats, it’s ALL ABOUT CONDITION.
If properly cared for, I’d take a 20 year old Bayliner over a 3 year old Cobalt that’s been left uncovered.
Unfortunately, a really well cared for used boat is about as rare as hens teeth!
Another thing to consider might be an older boat that’s been thoroughly restored. Just make sure the stringers and transom are solid.
Good luck with your search.

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings @Laneman25 . . . I see from your posts over the past week that you have been shopping for used boats.

There are lots of brands in the size range that you are looking for. Do you have a budget in mind? Age range?

It is all about condition, and the buyer's checklist is a good place to start. A lot of boats in that size range are going to be budget-minded brands, so hull quality may not be a thing for many of them.

RGrew176

Commander
I have a 2022 Stingray 182 SC I purchased last fall at a boat show. I just ended my first season with the boat. No issues and looking forward to season 2 next year. Check out Stingray.Stingray.jpg

briangcc

Commander
I'd really review your thinking on Bayliner. I owned one, see my signature, which recently resurfaced on Craigslist this past year and looked darn near pristine - trailer needed work. They have come a long, long ways since the days they were parked outside your local K-Mart.

Otherwise, I also owned FourWinns and other than having a Volvo power plant, which is darn near impossible in my neck of the woods to have serviced, it was a fine boat. Looked darn near mint when I traded it in 12 years later.

My current Chap has been darn near flawless as well. Corners like a sports car on rails...it should weighing about 1k less than my previous FourWinns. Fun boat.

I will say this about Stingray, they're very light fiberglass boats so they may have a tendency to pound in heavier waves. This may or may not be an issue for you but something to be aware of.

You may, if this is a first boat and your tow vehicle has a lower tow rating (3500lbs or less), want to look at aluminum fishing boats. There's (3) Sylvan's in my extended family towed with AWD SUV's. They seem to do very well for their intended purpose.

IF you're asking what I'd avoid...anything in a big box chain store - so the Trackers/Tahoes/etc. To me, having seen them up close and personal, I wouldn't touch one unless its bargain basement price for my kids to use/abuse.

All moot if the owner didn't care for the boat in the first place. I will never understand someone dropping $$$$$ on a purchase to leave it uncovered under a tree all season long. Boggles my mind.

flashback

Captain
They all have their flaws and you either modify it or live with it. It's all about condition when getting a used boat.

Scott06

Admiral
I'd really review your thinking on Bayliner. I owned one, see my signature, which recently resurfaced on Craigslist this past year and looked darn near pristine - trailer needed work. They have come a long, long ways since the days they were parked outside your local K-Mart.

Otherwise, I also owned FourWinns and other than having a Volvo power plant, which is darn near impossible in my neck of the woods to have serviced, it was a fine boat. Looked darn near mint when I traded it in 12 years later.

My current Chap has been darn near flawless as well. Corners like a sports car on rails...it should weighing about 1k less than my previous FourWinns. Fun boat.

I will say this about Stingray, they're very light fiberglass boats so they may have a tendency to pound in heavier waves. This may or may not be an issue for you but something to be aware of.

You may, if this is a first boat and your tow vehicle has a lower tow rating (3500lbs or less), want to look at aluminum fishing boats. There's (3) Sylvan's in my extended family towed with AWD SUV's. They seem to do very well for their intended purpose.

IF you're asking what I'd avoid...anything in a big box chain store - so the Trackers/Tahoes/etc. To me, having seen them up close and personal, I wouldn't touch one unless its bargain basement price for my kids to use/abuse.

All moot if the owner didn't care for the boat in the first place. I will never understand someone dropping $$$$$ on a purchase to leave it uncovered under a tree all season long. Boggles my mind.
Agree on the Bayliner, most of the really negative comments are old thinking. The newer ones are very close in fit and finish to the Sea Rays they are made next to in the same plant...

Also agree on used stuff how it was cared for and maintained is more important than anything else.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Glastron is Garbage, and they certainly DO NOT Honour their Warranty

flashback

Captain
Glastron is Garbage, and they certainly DO NOT Honour their Warranty
Never had one but I guess you had a bad experience. My neighbor liked his, I almost bought it and probably should have, it was old and had a good merc 6 on it, he traded it for a pontoon since he has grandkids..

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most entry-level boats are absolute garbage...thin hulls, poor layups, tons of voids, rot easily due to bad build quality and materials, etc.

That being said, as a marine tech/surveyor, Sea Ray (especially 2010 onward) may be my least favorite brand to work on because of how they cram in systems and components with service as an afterthought. No one else does it worse...Sea Ray's production volume dictates an assembly-line-esque procedure, but this means owning the boat, which is modular like a modern car, can be a nightmare when repairs are needed. It's not that they are poor quality, but rather simply an ergonomic nightmare.

My advice would be to look for an (10-15 year old) older, decent sized (21-24'), quality boat from a quality manufacturer like Formula, Cobalt, Chaparral, Bryant, as well as Regal, Monterey, Cruisers, and Four Winns. Some other brands like Robalo, Scout, Cobra, Pro-line, and many others make a decent product too. A 17'-19' boats is TINY and a bowrider can swamp easily, even on a lake. As a general rule, I'd stay away from Brunswick brands (Bayliner, Sea Ray), as well as Glastron, Crownline, Tahoe, Wellcraft, and other cheap boats. If you crawl around these brands or try working on them, their layups, upholstery, and electrical systems are laughable compared to decent to good brands.

My 28 year old Chaparral has zero rot...why? It used XL-10 pressure-treated marine plywood in its transom, decks, stringers, and bulkheads. It also used it in cockpit side panels in addition to plastic seat bases. While the actual build quality leaves a lot to be desired, the high-end materials have kept it like new for this long with good, non-abusive owners. Cheap boats don't use good materials and also have poorer workmanship generally. I have never seen a Chaparral with the XL-10 (1993-1994 for transoms, 1995-2000 for everything) wood rot completely stern to bow like many of the boats on here. Grady White, Formula, and other high-end brands use or have used similar products as well, especially post-2000. Even better are composite alternatives like Coosa. Owning a cheap, non-restored boat and trying to use it in anything but calm water is likely misery.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most entry-level boats are absolute garbage...thin hulls, poor layups, tons of voids, rot easily due to bad build quality and materials, etc.
That is exactly what Glastron is an Entry Level, maybe even subentry Level

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
Is all about previous owner maintenance and care. Any boat stored under a dry cover, and with a dry bilge will last a long time. Hull rot is floor, stringer, bulkhead and transom rot from moisture.
My previous Larson/Genmar was generally consider a 'Starter Boat'. After 21 yrs it had a few gelcoat spider cracks from hull flexing, but the hull was solid, because I kept the topside dry.

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is all about previous owner maintenance and care. Any boat stored under a dry cover, and with a dry bilge will last a long time. Hull rot is floor, stringer, bulkhead and transom rot from moisture.
My previous Larson/Genmar was generally consider a 'Starter Boat'. After 21 yrs it had a few gelcoat spider cracks from hull flexing, but the hull was solid, because I kept the topside dry.
This is true, but good owners are the exception not the rule sadly. I keep my boat under two covers (cockpit plus full mooring over it), as did the previous owner. :cool:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
A four year old mercedes can be crap but a 20 year old jetta can be wonderful.

get over brand and get to know the boat.