Which glue for replacing carpet on aluminum

Seth

Recruit
The carpet on my boat is coming up and I need to replace it. My decks are made of aluminum and the regular carpet glue that Cabela's sells did not seem to stick to the aluminum very well. Is there a better alternative that I can use for when I redo the carpet this time?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which glue for replacing carpet on aluminum

a standard exterior carpet glue is really tough stuff.......the trick is.....to prep the surface.....alum should be cleaned well........and use a notched trowell...... once layed......roll it or take a cinder block to it and make sure the glue is fully impregnated in to the carpet backing.

the stuff is soooo strong......when pulling up a 10 year old peice of carpet....the carpet will rip before the glue lets go.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way......welcome to i boats...!:)

i think you'll find this a really good place for anything "boating"

Seth

Recruit

I am looking forward to learning all sorts of stuff about working on my boat. My boat is a 1995 1648 F&F welded aluminum with a 1995 50 hp Yamaha jet. The boat is just about perfect for me, but theres' a few things I'd like to add/change on it to make it even better.:D

Do I need to scratch up the surface of the aluminum before putting glue down or just make sure it's really clean? What's the best way to go about getting all of the old carpet glue off from the aluminum?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As to getting the glue off I would try a heat gun and paint scraper, I don't think any kind of solvent will touch the glue.

And yes, I would scuff the surface really well,maybe 80 grit, certainly can't hurt.

Aluminum is funny stuff, hard to get anything to stick to it.

Sounds like you have my boat, I looked everywhere for a flat bottom jet before I bought the boat I have, have a stretch of river by the house that is too skinny for a prop drive but it doesn't have any houses on it and the fishing is great, I have to float down it now.

Good luck with the project.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i would also clean the surface with tri sodium phosphate before gluing.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know I've said this on other threads about this topic, but carpet in a boat is like carpet in a bathroom it doesn't belong. use some grip tape or spray in bed liner material awl grip or simmiliar product that way you can just hose out the fish guts.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have 28oz carpet on my boat and love it, unless it is cold out the first thing I do on the boat is take my shoes off and the carpet is really nice.

And I actually do hose it down once or twice a year, hose it and suck it out with a shop vac.

It is a little extra work but worth it but I do see your point.

For the record I have tile in my bathroom, not as easy to hose that out.

Seth

Recruit

Well the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just using some of the rubberized Tuff Stuff roll on coating. Is the stuff that Cabela's has any good? Also, would it be easy to roll it on or get a spray on type kit and tape everything off and go at it.

Here's some pictures of the front and back deck on my boat that I want to coat. Anything that was carpeted is what needs the coating.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2