WHICH GEAR OIL?

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice
CAN I USE LUBRI-MATIC 80W90 GEAR OIL IN MY MERCRUISER ALPHA ONE? THE OWNERS MAN. SAYS TO USE QUICKSILVER. PROBABLY ONLY AVAILABLE AT A DEALER, OF COURSE. THE LUBRI-MATIC BOTTLE SAYS ITS O.K FOR MERCRUISER AND WONT VOID WARRANTY. IT LOOKS DIFFERENT THAN THE STUFF THATS IN THE RESERVOIR. AM I OK TO USE THIS STUFF? THANKS FOR ANY HELP. P

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: WHICH GEAR OIL?

This could turn into "one of them debate topics",P.<br />If you are not draining the unit,stick with Quicksilver.<br />ALL outboard gear oils will meet or exceed spec, but try not to mix them. The formulations are all different (as you can see by the color). I have allways used Lubrimatic, simply because it met requirements cheaper than most, and allowed water to emulsify quickly (had trouble getting a good seal once).<br />As long as it states "Outboard Gear Oil" on the label, it's ok to use. DO NOT use hypoid gear oil. The formula is very simular, but it is not designed for high pressure,high exposure applications like the outboard gear lube is. Outboard gear lube contains anti-foaming,and water emulsers in it for increased protection qualities. Hypoid 80/90 transmission juice will werk fine......Until your L/U springs a leak,or the contents of the l/u foam up. Then,it's goodbye, L/U.<br />Hope this helps.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Purple, depending how much power you are running through that alpha, you could run DIRT in it...on a 3.0 liter ANYTHING is good enough....on a 260+ hp small block, you better run the GOOD stuff...merc hi perf blend....

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

THANKS TO ALL. THE MOTOR IS A 3.0 G.M. I GUESS ILL DRAIN IT AND ADD THE NEW OIL. I DIDNT THINK THAT MIXING THEM WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. THANKS AGAIN. P

seaman

Cadet

never mix any oils always drain I heard quaker state is really bad about that but I just bet ya their all that way