Which four-wheeler would you buy?

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, <br /><br />I've been wanting to buy another four-wheeler for a long time and I'm not sure about what brand to get. I like Honda because they have proven their quality, but I've been looking at the new Arctic Cats. Do any of you have any experience with Arctic Cat. Are they any good? How well do they hold their value? They only thing that caught my eye with the Arctic Cat was the new independent rear suspension. Any comments?<br /><br />James

jhreed

Seaman
Re: Which four-wheeler would you buy?

Hi, have a Polaris-500 (1998) sportsman with auto transmission, 2 speed transmission ranges and 4 wheel drive or two optional by switch on the hand controls. Liquid cooled, quiet and very smooth controlled ride. Long suspension travel has a lot to do with that function. Using about 5 psi in the large tires has a good deal to do with soft ride and high traction available. Always starts even after weeks of standing down. I love this machine... It can get one in trouble if one gives high throttle on severe turns or sudden throttle going up hill but if one just is smooth on the gas then this is one of the best I think... Jim Reed

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have owned and still do several different brands and styles, from the Grizzly 600 to a 250X Cyclone.<br />I now have a 700 Sportsman and a 400 Arctic Cat.<br />They are both great machines. I can find no faults with neither machine.<br />Good reliability. Starts anytime I need them to.<br />I ride the 700 and my wife rides the AC. It is a shift on the fly 5 speed with auto clutch and she loves it.<br />It all depends on what the rider wants and expects from a machine.<br />My neighbor has a Honda and he also likes it so it is just up to the person as to what he likes and gets.<br />The best thing to do is go for a test ride and check them out.<br />If a dealer won't let you test ride one then look for another dealer.<br />They always have demos just for that purpose so don't be afraid to ask. It's your money, not theirs. Just my .02 worth.

D

DJ

jee,<br /><br />My experience has been that you should be looking for something with an independent rear suspension.<br /><br />You would not believe the difference that makes, both in ride and traction.<br /><br />I've heard nothing but praise about the Artic Cats and Polaris machines. Both hold up well here in the desert. It's a very tough environment for ATV's. The dust is as fine as talc powder. When wet it makes a mud that is extremely abrasive. Besides that, the heat can be very hard on equipment. 110+(F) degrees is not uncommon.

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jee,<br /><br />I prefer Yamaha four-wheelers. I have a 1995 350 Big Bear that has been great. My second choice would be Yamaha and my third would Honda. <br /><br />The only thing I have had to do is change the front CV boots this last year. My four-wheeler gets put through some nasty stuff too. I have super swappers and a Warren wench on it. I use it for hunting and work around the house and farm. It has been in mud and water up to 2 foot deep.<br /><br />My dad has a 2001 Honda Rancher with the electric shift that is very convenient. The only thing I don’t like is his is harder to steer and a little light on the front end.

ehenry

Commander

Hi Jee70611, I own two wheelers. One 1989 Yamaha Big Bear 4X4 and a 1999 Honda 400 Foreman. I bought the Big Bear new and it hasn't given that much trouble. I don't take it easy on my equipment either. The things I've had to to to it were just standard maintenance for a wheeler that has some age on it. The Honda is still holding its own. I bought the bike for my son because he got to big for both of us to ride the same bike at the same time while we were in the woods. What prompoted me to buy the Honda was several firends have them and I've seen what they put them through and they're holding up.<br /><br /> One of the guys in our camp has an Artic Cat 4x4 and its been an excellent machine. As far as I know he hasn't had much if any trouble at all with it. We hunt the the Mississippi River Swamp just north of Vickburg, MS in the Kings Point Island/Steele Bayou area. The Gumbo mud in this area is a force to be reckoned with in its own way. <br /><br />The independant suspension that DJohns mentioned is something to think about. They do ride much better than the bikes with swing arms and straight axles. The only thing that made me balk on a Polaris and an Artic Cat was that they were belt drive.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. Here's an update. I found a 2001 Honda 350 Rancher 4x4 for $3,300.00. It is a real clean machine also. I think I did pretty good as he was asking under book value and it is the one I wanted initially. Have any of you had any experience with this particular model.<br /><br />James

ehenry

Commander

I just happen to have a little experience with that particular model. You can't go wrong with it. One of my hunting buddy's bought the same year model wheeler, only his is an electric shift and its turned out to be an excellent choice. I don't think you will be dissappointed. I personally prefer a manual shift but thats just me. Just make sure you get the manual foot shifter with the wheeler, just in case if, its an electric shift.