Which Brand for Xpress

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2004 Xpress H51 with a 90 H.P. Yamaha 2 stroke. I am currently running a 13.25 x 17p ss Power Tech prop. I can turn it slightly under 6000 r.p.m.'s, W.O.T. for my motor is 5500. So, I want to go up to a 19p ss.

The boat porpoises a little. I have installed a 6" jack plate and it helped the problem a good deal. I would like to purchase a prop with this in mind, staying with a 3 blade, and looking for optimal top end speed.

Currently at 5900 rpm, I am running 45.3 on the g.p.s. I feel like I can get more speed out of the boat. The powertech prop sucks:mad: and I am not sure what brand to chose for my application.

I have read about a Turbo 1 propeller that is supposed to work great on the same setup. However, I would like to get another opinion or suggestion.

Help!!

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Which Brand for Xpress

Running a jackplate, needing bowlift and wanting more speed....yes, a T1 will do a great job. I would first recommend you max out the running height of the prop you have now, first. Some think you're too high if you have to trim down to keep from venting in a turn, but this is normal-keep that in mind when testing how high you can go.
It's really a good idea to have a water pressure gauge if you really want to max the set-up...we don't want to suck air with the water-pump if we get that high.
If the porpoise went away with the addition of the plate that tells me the boat is bow-heavy, or lacking bowlift, so moving the C.G. back helped keep the bow up. The T1 "may" have a bit more lift than the powertech which is good because you don't need to trim as far to unload the hull.
Best bet is find the max with what you have now so we have a true base-line to go by.

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice

walleyehed,

Thanks for the advice. I have raised the motor to the point at which I lost sufficient water pressure. Didnt have any problems with the motor venting in turns or cavitating on take off.

With the powertech, I am having to be @ full trim to get out of the rpm range at which the boat porpoises and then levels off. Do you know of a good/cheap:rolleyes: prop retailer that you could reccomend? I will go wih the Turbo 1 then if there are no other suggestions to consider.

Hopefully this will help me end the seemingly never ending battle to optimize your setup.

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice

Ordered Turbo 1 13.25 x 19p ss 3 blade. Well see how it performs when it gets here.

walleyehed

Admiral

Full trim and max rpm usually means it's taking that much thrust to keep the bow up. Also, if you can run at full trim without venting that indicates we're still too low. If water pressure is already an issue at that height, it may take some serious fine-tuning to get the right rpm with the 19P T1.
I should have mentioned a bit more in my first post on this but thats why I thought it best to max what you have first, or hear you say thats what you've done. The 17P Turbo1 pulls about as hard as most 19's of other brands.

jamieat

Seaman Apprentice

Welllll...... I'm having issues with the website I ordered the prop from. Boatownersworld.com, Since my shipping and billing address dont correspond, they (google, whom handles their online payments, refuses to ship the darn thing, although they have already deducted the funds from the bank.:mad:

So, I'm cancelling the order, and gonna go with a different retailer. Anyone know of a dealer that sells Turbo?

I also spoke to a prop shop today in Piedmont Alabama and I'm gonna take my Power Tech to them in the morning for some modifications. Gonna have some cup added to the prop.

Any mod advice?:confused:

walleyehed

Admiral

Check your PM's....I sent you contact info for Turbo.