Which boat should we buy? Advice please

brewern

Cadet
More importantly, which boat shouldn't we buy?
We recently have started parting out the old boat, it's just not worth fixing. So, it's time to buy a new one. We have a budget of around $2K. Below are some of the boats we are looking at, and I would appreciate your input on why to or not to buy any of these.
We are looking for a family boat, preferably a run about at around 15'-17'. Anything larger won't fit in our garage, but could be kept covered outside.

Thanks as always iboaters!

Four Winns Catalina Runabout Boat, cover,bikini top,ski,fast!

*** maxum open bow***

1987 Chapperal

21' Somerset V-Hull Bowrider Boat

86 Chaparral 16'1

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which boat should we buy? Advice please

skip the maxim. small motor, and its a Force.

in that price range, I would go with an outboard with tilt and trim !!

I like the '86 Chap, as long as the motor has tilt n trim.

make sure it all checks out, whatever you go with.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

^^^^^ i would agree i like the '86 chap also out of these listed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

$2000 and 15-17' is without question an outboard on an aluminum or self-bailing hull. No sofaboats.

southkogs

Staff member

I wanna' see the inside of the Four Winns. If you can deal with the built-in "earthquake" effect of a tri-hull, that might be an okay boat.

Otherwise, the Chap looks pretty good. I like the way the ad reads.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Of the boats listed, the first, third, and fifth warrant a go-look-see.

brewern, you've done this before, you know what's up already. Avoid rot at all costs and check VERY carefully. Avoid unsupported powerplants which means only Mercruiser/Volvo I/O's with Chevy-based motors and avoid Chrysler or Force outboards.

fireman_54

Seaman Apprentice

ive actually called on the chap and it does have tilt and trim. also it runs started it over the phone lol i have looked for everything in the last few weeks. I was willing to drive all the way from MI. but found something else.

brewern

Cadet

Of the boats listed, the first, third, and fifth warrant a go-look-see.

brewern, you've done this before, you know what's up already. Avoid rot at all costs and check VERY carefully. Avoid unsupported powerplants which means only Mercruiser/Volvo I/O's with Chevy-based motors and avoid Chrysler or Force outboards.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I didn't realize the Maxim had a Force engine. As ezmobee mentioned, I've been through this before and know to avoid Force engines. That one shouldn't have made the list. Even the wife has learned to keep looking if she sees a Force engine on a boat.

So, all signs are pointing to the '86 Chap, and fireman_54 has already done some of my leg work for me! :) Thanks fireman! I'll definitely get up and check for rot on the deck, and inspect the transom. Also, I'll be taking a compression tester with me and look for oil leaks and anything else that stands out. Anyone know what the compression should be on that motor?

Now I just have to raise the money. I can get my hands on $1500 now, and $500 more by the end of the month, I just hope it's still available then. I'm trying to get a quick temp loan from the momma. I'm parting out the ol' Rinker right now, and will have another $300 in hand this weekend. Hopefully the rest sells fast too! The hull and trailer are up on eBay right now.... I just need all the stars to align!

brewern

Cadet

ive actually called on the chap and it does have tilt and trim. also it runs started it over the phone lol i have looked for everything in the last few weeks. I was willing to drive all the way from MI. but found something else.

fireman, did you call about the '87 Chap? I called about the '86 and he said it was manual trim and tilt.

And if we get manual trim and tilt, can't I install a motor to do that?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

That vintage of Merc (approx 1980) requires a trim pump and motor inside the boat, and hydraulic lines running to the motor, and hydraulic cylinders on the motor. Can be done, but not as easily or cheaply as you would like.

If you need to buy some time to gather up the cash, write up a contract, give deposit, tell the seller you will pick up in 2 weeks when you get the rest of the cash.

The worst case scenario, you can't get the cash by the agreed date, and the seller gets to keep your deposit money for his troubles.

brewern

Cadet

Money is ready. Seller is ready. Heading to Cinncinati on Saturday to scoop up the '86 Chap. :)

brewern

Cadet

Cleaned her up today, checked over the engine really good. She's a beauty and the engine runs great. Now to get it registered and out on the water! Can't wait!

Thanks for the help everyone!

DSCN7662_small.jpgDSCN7663_small.jpgDSCN7655_small.jpgDSCN7658_small.jpgDSCN7661_small.jpg

brewern

Cadet

BTW, how much is that motor worth? Keep in mind we paid $2K for the boat and trailor. And, everything is in amazing condition. It's a garage queen.

NYBo

Admiral

She looks great!

Off topic: How do you like those projector beam headlights on the Dakota/Durango?

brewern

Cadet

She looks great!

Off topic: How do you like those projector beam headlights on the Dakota/Durango?

Thanks!
We don't do much driving at night, so they rarely get used. But, when we do, they work just fine. They were already on it when we bought the Durango, so I don't know any difference between those and regular headlights. Wish I could be more help.