Which boat makes are considered top quality

m6305

Recruit
Being a newbie in boating I would like to know the quality of manufacturing of different brands. If I were to buy a car, I know for example generally Mercedes ranks higher than some other brands. Which brands are made withe a better quality when it comes to fishing boats (Walkaround/center console)? From what I have read and looking at prices it seems that Boston Whaler, Pursuit and Robalo are quality brands, am I on the right track?

thanks
Bahman

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Which boat makes are considered top quality

Look at:

Grady White
Parker
Boston Whaler (especially in the sub 20 foot class)
Edgewater

In the high performance go fast cc boats:

Regulator
Contender

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'll add a couple:

Pursuit (you already mentioned these. They are an offshoot of Tiara Yachts)

Scout (look at these they are very, very nice)

Pioneer (never been on one but they look top notch)

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maxum, hey at least we are above Bayliner :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Add Southport, Interpid, Carolina Classic and Albemarle to the list

Bubba is right on. If you just want to know the name of quality boat manufacturers, then you asked the right question. If you want help finding the right boat then you need to ask more direct questions.

You can spend lots of money on a quality boat and still be unhappy because it's not right for you or your intended uses. If you're the kind of person that will be happy purely because you OWN a Mercedes.

There are more details that you should supply such as the type of fishing you plan to do (bass, big fish, etc.), where you plan to fish (lakes, rivers, ocean), the general size of the boat (under or over 20 feet, 30ft, etc), and what kind of amenities you care about the most. Put that information out there and we can help you out.

Again, Bubba was right that you should go to a few boat shops and tell those guys what you want to do on the water. They'll steer you in the right direction and let you sit in a few boats. Once you've got the basis of the kind of boat you want, then you can narrow down the best manufacturer. Until then, you've just compiled a meaningless list of quality boat manufacturers.

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to give a nod to my Stingray cuddy, great boat, no inherant mfg defects in workmanship (and my boat is a '98), my buddy has a 2000 Four Winns cuddy as well, great boat as well, and even slightly better quality than my Stingray....

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to give a nod to my Stingray cuddy, great boat, no inherant mfg defects in workmanship (and my boat is a '98), my buddy has a 2000 Four Winns cuddy as well, great boat as well, and even slightly better quality than my Stingray....

I was not aware that Stingray or Maxum made self bailing center console or walk around cuddy offshore/fishing boats or anything suitable for saltwater?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Bubba is right on. If you just want to know the name of quality boat manufacturers, then you asked the right question. If you want help finding the right boat then you need to ask more direct questions.

You can spend lots of money on a quality boat and still be unhappy because it's not right for you or your intended uses. If you're the kind of person that will be happy purely because you OWN a Mercedes.

There are more details that you should supply such as the type of fishing you plan to do (bass, big fish, etc.), where you plan to fish (lakes, rivers, ocean), the general size of the boat (under or over 20 feet, 30ft, etc), and what kind of amenities you care about the most. Put that information out there and we can help you out.

Again, Bubba was right that you should go to a few boat shops and tell those guys what you want to do on the water. They'll steer you in the right direction and let you sit in a few boats. Once you've got the basis of the kind of boat you want, then you can narrow down the best manufacturer. Until then, you've just compiled a meaningless list of quality boat manufacturers.

He is looking for a center console or a walkaround in the 22-26' length. Not many builders in that market. Most already named.

m6305

Recruit

Thanks a lot guys I found the replies very helpful.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude, get an F150.

Oops sorry, I thought I was on that other thread.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was not aware that Stingray or Maxum made self bailing center console or walk around cuddy offshore/fishing boats or anything suitable for saltwater?

Actually a few years ago Stingray made a center console with a center mounted engine and a jackshaft to a sterndrive. I think they only made it a year or two. I thought it was pretty cool. Not sure about the self bailing part. See it here.

http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/models03/models.php?model=200MS

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 22' Stingray goes out in the ocean all the time. Not the best length (slightly short) for 3'+ seas, but if you don't mind a rough ride, and you have sturdy "sea legs" it's fine. :)

I didn't read you were specifically wanting a C/C type vessel

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Dont forget Mako boats

Maybe not the best but I see alot of them.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lets not forget about the WELLCRAFT Line. Very sturdy well built machines.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 22' Stingray goes out in the ocean all the time. Not the best length (slightly short) for 3'+ seas, but if you don't mind a rough ride, and you have sturdy "sea legs" it's fine. :)

I didn't read you were specifically wanting a C/C type vessel

Your Sting Ray is a nice sporty boat but it is not intended for open water. This is obvious in that it will not self bail. Take a wave over the bow and the bilge cannot keep up it will deep six and turtle. We take our BW 19 foot Outrage far to sea often with good confidence. It will not sink. It does not rely upon a bilge pump to clear water as it will self bail. So will most other center console designs of the type the OP asked for.

My brother has an 18 foot Well Craft CC and it is a very nice boat also. He loves it.

Short video, running fast from a mean squall line coming at us at 70 MPH. It capsized several boats about 30 minutes after the video. Sorry, my wife is the worst videographer/photographer on the planet. We had been about 25 miles out to the Timberholes diving and fishing and are running for home. Seas are about two and three with some bigger and getting worse. By the time we made the East Pass the wind was howling and we were getting a lot of water in the boat. We rode the back of a roller through the pass and were thankful to be safely inside the inlet as the rain went from a torrent to a deluge. Between the rain and the waves breaking over the bow if we had not been self bailing we would have been in deep trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-NwS32RG8