which bilge pump do i need with a manual / auto switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadmandu

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a bilge pump switch as seen below. Since i can switch it to auto does that mean i should just buy the Rule non auto? The auto model has a built in float switch is that better than having a separate float switch?

Attachments

• bilge pump switch.jpg
    bilge pump switch.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
“Auto” simply switches control from the switch (manual) to a float switch of some kind.

Pick your poison....All switches eventually fail. Do you change the switch ($$) or the pump ($$$$)?

Cadmandu

Cadet
I made a mistake that is the one i want to buy this is what I have.
Why do i have a pump switch on the console and this Rule on the left side?

Attachments

• bilge pump.jpg
    bilge pump.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 27
  • console rs.jpg
    console rs.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 26

Cadmandu

Cadet
The Rule is not but i dont here the pump come on when i flip the switch on the console. I have the boat covered up and it is really cold here in va so when we get a nice day i will look into this more.

southkogs

Staff member
Not out of the question that the Rule was hooked up to replace the original pump. I would figure out which is the working switch ... and then reference dingbat's post.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My old Starcraft did not have a bilge pump went I got her and that's the way the factory made her. I added a pump and separate float switch. The float switch is wired to battery so it's always in auto mode. The dash switch is wired to override the float switch.

The reason I did it this way is the be able to replace the pump or float switch if either goes bad. The pump is still working fine, but the float switch failed and has been replaced.

I don't like pumps with an internal float switch, a water sensing circuit or timed operation. When either the pump or auto on parts fail, you have to replace the whole shebang. I prefer to have two parts, not one, for ease and cost of repair.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The pumps with the water sensor circuit will drain the battery over time. I don't like them, give me a float instead.

Cadmandu

Cadet
Great advice now that I'm going with a pump and float as two separate pieces what do you guys think of the Rule pumps

Cadmandu

Cadet
If i buy a new Rule 41 bilge pump switch and the Rule 500 GPH Standard Bilge Pump Kit w/Float Switch 12V 25DA-35A and i put the switch on auto that will give the float switch control of the pump so i just need a non auto pump correct?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Rule 500 GPH Standard Bilge Pump Kit wFloat Switch 12V 25DA-35A.jpg
    Rule 500 GPH Standard Bilge Pump Kit wFloat Switch 12V 25DA-35A.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just a regular pump and separate float switch and 3 position switch wired like this;

rulewire.png

The Model 41 switch panel in your picture replaces the the fuse and plain 3-way switch.
ruleauto.png

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If i buy a new Rule 41 bilge pump switch and the Rule 500 GPH Standard Bilge Pump Kit w/Float Switch 12V 25DA-35A and i put the switch on auto that will give the float switch control of the pump so i just need a non auto pump correct?
Exactly. Wire it like GA posted.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure nothing gets stuck under the float switch and allows the automatic pump setup to run until.... It will run whatever battery is connected dead.

Cadmandu

Cadet
Well i had my first bilge experience yesterday. My bilge is about 1 x 2 feet and located under the oil pan. My Rule Mate 500 could just barely make it out and the drain hose was very short. I have no idea where the wires and hose even lead to. I assume the wires go over to the battery and 2 goes to the helm. I had to cut the wires at the pump and un-screw the hose. I removed the bilge pump switch at the helm and purchased the following.
Seaflo Auto Bilge pump 750 gph and a Rule 41 3 way panel lighted switch. I had to go with an auto pump because i had no room for a float switch. I have another compartment looks like a live well. Why do i have a drain pipe in it? Should it be plugged? The old owner had the anchor and a water scoop stowed in it. Please look at the pics.
I have some numbers
Stern Drive # on engine 4522399
Block casting 366855 GM
Exhaust Elbow MC-20-60426 / MC-20-76351

Attachments

• bilge pump 2.jpg
    bilge pump 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • hoops aft.jpg
    hoops aft.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 27
  • live well drain.jpg
    live well drain.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • live well.jpg
    live well.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • stern drive # on engine.jpg
    stern drive # on engine.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 26

southkogs

Staff member
Compartment you're looking at in those photos is a ski locker. The drain is to allow water to run back to your bilge.

Not to be an alarmist, but your bilge under the engine doesn't look right. Are you sure someone didn't replace that floor in the past?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Compartment you're looking at in those photos is a ski locker. The drain is to allow water to run back to your bilge.

Not to be an alarmist, but your bilge under the engine doesn't look right. Are you sure someone didn't replace that floor in the past?
You might be right. The carpet looks like the same stuff I got from Menards for my pontoon, Usually don't see that type on boats.

Cadmandu

Cadet
The guy I bought it from said it was in his family for 36 yrs he did say he replaced the carpet but the floor is a little soft on both sides of the engine, but I'm 6' 4 and 255 lbs so that does not help. I really appreciate all the help I get from you guys. So if I want to test my new bilge pump this spring I could fill the bilge by flushing out the line in the ski locker.

southkogs

Staff member
You could, but don't go nuts with it. Just enough to activate the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.