which axle ratio to pick for new Chevy silverado?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: which axle ratio to pick for new Chevy silverado?

Tic -- I assume you are going for a 4WD truck since you are towing snowmobiles so there will be some winter driving involved. If you go to Chevy's web site and look at the towing charts, there are only a couple of models in the 1500/6L 2WD category that are rated to tow over 8000# with a 3.73 gear (and you can actually go to 10,000 on some models). Once you are into 4WD, anything over 8000# indicates 4.10 is "required" and the rating goes to about 10,000#. 8000# is at the upper limit of trailer weight for a 3.73 gear which is what I've been trying to get across. You have a choice here -- lug the engine more and "hope" you can save a few bucks on gas or cruise a little more effortlessly and quite possibly get equal or slightly better towing mileage with the 4.10.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce -- don't you have an OD "on'off" button on the shift lever. If so, OD off forces third gear.

OD off does not force 3rd gear.

edit: Silvertip...you are correct.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Isn't fourth gear the overdrive gear?
Thus turning overdrive off, the transmission will shift into 1st, 2nd, then 3rd and not go to overdrive (4th)?

Sometimes going from a 3.73 gear to a 4.10 gear will increase gas mileage.
Sometimes, driveline combos are making the engine work too hard with the 3.73 gear and consume more gas trying to work so hard.
Going with a 4.10 gear sometimes results in the engine not having to work as hard and consume less gas doing the same job.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you turn OD off -- what in heck is the default? It certainly isn't going to go into first or second at 60 MPH. That leaves third/direct. Don't mistake the converter clutch for OD. The converter clutch locks in OD as well as third/direct and can feel like a gear shift but it really isn't. It merely makes a physical rather than fluid connection between the engine and input shaft of the tranny. To test this, turn OD off, drive at a very steady 50 MPH (up a slight hill makes this more pronounced) and without taking your foot off the gas, touch the brake pedal. You should see an RPM increase. That's the converter clutch releasing.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with Rancherlee and Silvertip. I'd get a 3/4ton and a 4.10 axle, but at minimum the 4.10 on the 1/2ton. If you get the 1/2ton and/or 3.73, what happens if you want to move up to a bigger boat? No one ever goes smaller. If you get 2mpg better with the 3.73 you'll save a whopping $177 per year (driving 7500 miles and $3 per gallon). Fuel economy is totally insignificant...

I've seen so many work trucks towing bobcats involved in accidents that I get the willy's just being around them on a freeway.

Me, too. I've seen one and it's all I care to see. 4 years ago on my way home from work, a 1/2 ton Chevy pulling a skid steer 3 cars in front of me, lost control while stopping and dumped the skid steer onto a car coming the other direction. It killed both passengers instantly. It's the worst thing I have ever witnessed in my life...