Where to start!!?? 1997 Monark Pro 160

411sponge

Cadet
Hello all! First time poster here so I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Bill and I live in Central Florida. I was born and raised here and I finally want to take that plunge into the wonderful world of boating.:p I also have to admit that I am a total nOOb when it comes to buying and or repairing boats so I must applogize in advance of this post. :facepalm:

I am on a tight budget so I have been keeping my eye open in this area for a fishing/leisure boat when I ran across an ad for a 1997 Monark Pro160. I went to the seller's house and took some of the attached pictures (since I know you all love the pics) :D Obviously, it's not brand new, however, the wood seems very sturdy and it seems to be taken care of to some extent. The seller mentioned that this boat has a "special" Mariner magnum motor that actually has around 50 horsepower compared to the listed 40 (is that true?? :confused:).

It seems like the perfect size for me and the wife to stroll around some of the freshwater lakes and rivers in my area. I would also possibly like to restore this boat on my own (of course, with all of your help, lol). He is asking $2750 for the boat and I have no idea if that is a fair price or not so I wanted to check with all of you for your opinion. Also, is there anything I should ask, and or check for when inspecting this boat?? The seller did mention that the batteries were dead so he couldn't start the motor today but he said he would charge them tommorrow and start her up for me on Sunday. He seems to be very nice and honest person but I feel like a deer caught in the headlights when I purchase something big like this. :eek:

Also, how easy are they to work on? Are they easy to get parts for if something does break?

So, do you guys think this boat is worth the $2,750? ANY information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance gang!!

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Middle Seats.jpg
    Middle Seats.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: Where to start!!?? 1997 Monark Pro 160

For the money, I am taking a ride before the deal is done. Put it in the water and see how it rides. When you get back pull all the plugs and see if any water came in. Look at all the carpeted areas closely and look for rot in the wood. Mariner and Mercury are the same animal so parts are not a problem. Everything else looks like standard stuff so no parts problems there either. Never offer what they are asking. If he has any sense he is asking more than he will take.

enjoy it,
drewp

411sponge

Cadet

Thank you for the responce drew! We are supposed to go out on the river tommorrow so I will see how she rides. Do you think that $2500 is a fair asking price?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with 2,250 in mind and meet him in the middle. the boat IS 14 years old. I would ask how the boat was stored. Inside or out. Was it always covered. IF the stringers and the transom do have to be replaced bass boat are NOT the easiest boats to work on. You can easily invest 200 hrs and 2000 dollars to restore one. Really check for soft spots in the deck. Open up any and ALL hatches and look below EVERYWHERE. Bounce the Motor up and down and check for flex in the transom. Take your time and DON'T look at the Shine look for the UGLY and for everything that you are going to have to fix. Don't be afraid to point them out and use them as price negotiators.

merc850

Commander

Judging by the condition of the seats and the carpet on bow it looks like it wasn't in covered storage. Why are the batteries dead? I am sure that that motor has an alternator for charging them, could be electrical problems.

411sponge

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the advice. The seller mentioned that the boat has been sitting out in his front yard for a couple of months but he didn't mention anything about where he typically stored the boat.. He also mentioned that the engine does not have an altinator (I always thought that most electric start motors had an altinator)

I am really starting to have second thought about this boat.. I had never heard of a "stringer" until Woodonglass mentined it... I might be just buying too many problems from the very beginning.

Should I even have him take me out tommorrow? :confused:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The seller mentioned that this boat has a "special" Mariner magnum motor that actually has around 50 horsepower compared to the listed 40 (is that true?? :confused:).

That bs would set off alarm bells for me to be very careful with this seller. Sounds like you're not getting the whole story, so make a list of questions about everything you can think of, and ask them. Good luck.

colson

Recruit

i don't think its a bad deal even if you have to put some money into it....the boat appears to be aluminum so the stringers i would think would also be aluminum. and the floors are easy to replace or repair if needed......and as far as the alternator thing...maybe the seller doesn't know cause "altenators" on a outboard don't look like a alternator on a automotive engine.....I would offer 2k and use the batteries and the seat condition as the reason....also make sure you look at the trailer real well.....lights, axles, tires, bearings, bunk boards. i don't think the guy is too far off of what it's worth but like i said offer 2k and go from there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I did some extensive "GOOGLING" on Monarch Boats of this vintage and I believe I need to correct myself. Colson^^^^ makes some good points. These boats were constructed of a an all welded hull with a lifetime warranty, and they used treated wood on the decks. Substructure is ALL aluminum, NOT wood. Your only concern should be the transom, which was made of wood, and the cosmetics, trailer etc. as pointed out by Colson. Prices on all of the various online auction sites are well within reason with this asking price. I NOW believe that if you like this boat and you are willing to put in the time, effort and dollars to bring her back to life then it looks to be a reasonable investment. Monarchs appear to be a quality built boat. At least from the research that I did last night and this morning. It is still your call.

411sponge

Cadet

Hi all,

Well, we went out on the boat yesterday and I have to say that I was impressed. He ran the boat for approximately 15 minutes applying different levels of the throttle and the engine seemed to transition nicely without any spuddering. I took Drew's advice and looked to see if the boat took on any water and I saw none as well as checking the wood which felt brand new. The hull was in really good condition as well. It had some staining due to the fact of the high tanic acid content of our rivers and lakes here in central Florida but no structural damage at all. I looked under the boat and I didn't see a single dent so that's good. I checked the transom and there was hardly any flex whatsover (thanks Woodonglass!) So far so good. While we were out, he showed me how to trim the boat as well as how the live well operates. The only problem that I saw with the boat was the tach and the fuel gauges weren't working. I talked to a friend who works on boats said that was a minor thing so I am not too concerned about that. I also took Mercs advice and asked him a little more about where the boat was stored and he mentioned that the boat was sitting outside for approximately 2 months. Prior to that, he said the boat was stored in his daughters garage for approximately 4 years (because he had some medical issues). So, I feel like it was a good deal so I decided to purchase her! :eek::D:facepalm: It's funny because I could tell he really tell he cared for this boat because when we were leaving the boat ramp, he said "I really hate to see her go. I've had a lot of good times with her." I told him that I am planning to keep her for a long time and fix her up so he can come visit anytime. :)

I will probably be picking her up sometime this weekend. I am going to give her a good scrubbing so my first question as a new boat owner is can someone recommend a good carpet & hull cleaner?

Also, I am planning (with all of your help of course) to redo the console with a new steering wheel and some new guages. I would like to get a new tach, speedometer, fuel, and battery gauges. So, I was wondering the work and eaase required to install the gauges? I would also like to upgrade the fishfinder to a color fishfinder/GPS combo. Any suggestions? :cool:

I also wanted to take the time and thank everyone who have posted! I felt much more comfortable when I went out on the water thanks to you! I actually had a little idea of what to look for and what to ask him. Thank you for making me feel comfortable in these forums! You guys rock!! :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Googling I found this.

Instructions

things you'll need:

• Nut driver
  • Screwdriver
  • Electric drill
  • Hole saw
  • Round wood file
  • 1.) Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Access the back of the gauge and find the metal strap or clips that hold the gauge in place. Use a nut driver to remove the nuts that secure the metal straps to the back of the gauge. Remove clips with a screwdrive
  • 2.) Tap the back of the gauge with the handle of the nut driver or screwdriver to unseat the gauge. Pull the gauge out of the dashboard or panel. Note the color of wire leads that connect to the back of the gauge. Note any markings or labels on the back of the gauge that identify specific connections, such as positive, negative and ignition. Write down the colors of the wires and the specific connections for reference when connecting leads to the replacement gauge.
  • 3.) Disconnect the wire leads from the back of the gauge. If the gauge has built-in leads, disconnect the ends of the leads from the electrical block under the dashboard or behind the panel. Note the specific connection terminals at the block for reference.
  • 4.) Take the noted information when you obtain the replacement gauge. The number of wire lead connections will determine the particular model of the replacement gauge.
  • 5 Refer to the template that is included with the replacement gauge. If a template is not provided, measure the diameter across the back of the gauge and re-size the hole in the dashboard or panel if necessary. Use an electric drill and hole saw or a round wood file to re-size the hole.
  • 6 Connect the wire leads to the back of the gauge. For built-in leads, insert the leads through the hole in the dashboard or panel. Set the gauge in place. Reattach the clips or metal strap that holds the gauge in place. Refer to your notes and connect the wire leads. Reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery.
Read more: How to Replace Boat Gauges

drewpster

Commander

Glad to Hear It!! A new boater joins the ranks! My family and I have made some fond memories on the water. I hope you and yours do the same.

colson

Recruit

congrats on your purchase....wish i could find another aluminum bass boat...i upgraded last year to a fiberglass one and really miss my old boat....enjoy and be safe on the water!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like a nice rig, might need some new wood eventually but as mentioned, all aluminum structure will make a restore quite doable.

Good luck with the new toy:D

Is this Monark different than the Canadian version of Starcraft?

411sponge

Cadet

Thank you everyone for the positive encouragement! Huron, I am really new when it comes to makes and models so I am not sure about the boat being manufactured in Canada. Sorry

If I do have to replace any wood later on, what kind of money are we talking about? One of the first pieces of equipment that I would like to install is one of those charging banks that charges both batteries at the same time. Are those pretty easy to install? Should I also install a new fuse box while I am installing the charging system?

I am going to clean her inside and out so I'll show you the after pics. Is there a particular hull and carpet cleaner that you guys use to detail boats? Also, can anyone tell me if there is some type of cleaner that can get rid of the yellow color on the console or can I just purchase a new one with and buy some new gauges as well? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again everyone!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try a product called ToonBrite. The pontoon guys use it on their pontoons and it works wonders.

apache61

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 1995 Monark PRO 160 I loved the boat had the same 40HP motor( a Merc. 40) not a 40 that has power of 50. it would go in very skinny water. Had a 13gl built in tank and would sip the fuel. You should like your boat, and good luck and have fun.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I did some checking and yur Monark was built in Arkansas, not Canada. The company is known as Sea Ark now, and they make some nice welded boats.:)

411sponge

Cadet

That is really good news Apache61! It seems like the perfect size for the wife and I to go out on the lakes and rivers around here. Thanks Huron for that information! I have been trying to get more information about this make and model but I guess my internet research stills are lacking. :)

Does anyone know how complicated the installation process is for the on board dual bank battery is?
http://www.basspro.com/Pro-Charging-Systems-Go-Charge-Recreation-Series-Battery-Chargers/product/10207171/-1594112

411sponge

Cadet

Hey everyone! I just thought I would give everyone an update on my boat. I have taken her out a couple of times and I have to say I love it!! I have been doing some routine carpet and hull cleaning and she came out really well! (I will add some pics in a few) :) One thing that really impressed me is when I took a pressure washer to the carpets, I was very careful on how close I put the nozzle to the carpet because I was afraid of separation but thatcarpet wouldn't budge!

My friend and I are going to do some upgrades in the near future (new fuse box, on board charger, stereo, and a fishfinder) so I wanted to get you guys and gals input on reccommending a new fishfinder. I have been looking up all different brands (Hummingbird, Lowrance) and I am kinna overwhelmed with all of this techincal jargon. Anyway, I will primarily be using the boat in freshwater lakes and an onboard GPS is a must. I would also like to have at least a 5 inch COLOR screen. I am willing to pay around the 600-700 dollar range so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!