Where to run anchor line?

SomeRN

Recruit
Problem: 16 foot bass buggy with no place to secure anchor line (anchor required in Ohio)
Solution: put a hole in the deck between fishing seats, bow end (line hole with rubber grommet) and a cleat aft. Coil anchor line between the two fishing seats (adjacent to trolling motor track). Add U bolt aft of cleat to secure end of anchor line. Anchor would "live" just below the deck (and I'd secure the anchor to an extant u bolt nearby when trailering).
Problems?: Some spray through anchor line hole in choppy water?
Questions: what have I missed? anyone have a better idea?

Dragfluid

Cadet
Problem: 16 foot bass buggy with no place to secure anchor line (anchor required in Ohio)
Solution: put a hole in the deck between fishing seats, bow end (line hole with rubber grommet) and a cleat aft. Coil anchor line between the two fishing seats (adjacent to trolling motor track). Add U bolt aft of cleat to secure end of anchor line. Anchor would "live" just below the deck (and I'd secure the anchor to an extant u bolt nearby when trailering).
Just don't make it a trip hazard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cleats on all 4 corners. Keep rode in a milk crate under the helm. That way, it's out of way until you need it

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe I mis read your post but are you saying that your anchor need to be secured to the boat even whe not using it?

SomeRN

Recruit
Maybe I mis read your post but are you saying that your anchor need to be secured to the boat even whe not using it?
When the boat is in the water, I want the end of the line to be attached to the boat - because of old Murphy. I'd envisioned the anchor itself "living" under the deck as there's not a lot of room else. The deck is surrounded by 2 & 1/2 foot "walls," so there's not really a convenient place to run the line out w/o cutting a hole in the "wall." On my sailboat the anchor has a nice home at the pointy end of the bow. Not so the pontoon boat. And securing the anchor - itself - to the boat would only be for trailering it on land. I'm probably over-thinking this as is my wont. Appreciate the comment.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That might work but, if you are using rope I's put a short length of chain to the anchor. Then you can secure that chain with a safety chain to the cleat. If it's just rope it could break going down the highway and damage the vehicle behind you. Don't think you would want that to happen.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
my anchor rides on the front, short deck section of my pontoon boat when underway, attached to a retractable cleat I just added. Previously attached to a built in "cleat" on the top of the pontoon nose.
Chain then rope, as suggested above.
When towing, the anchor rides just inside the fence, the rope(rode) gets sandwiched between the rails of the front gate...
My boat is 24' so that might make a big difference....

dgblick

Recruit
I used to own a 16' Bass Buggy. I bought a large spring loaded carabiner, attached it to eye hole at tip of pontoon. Then, after dropping anchor and letting out appropriate amount of line, I would tie a butterfly knot in the line and attach it to he carabiner. Super easy!