Where to get decent, unbiased info about new outboard choices?

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1979 14' Lund with a 1990 30HP Johnson. I've been having issues with the motor, lower seals need done, and now there's an electrical issue and I can't get it to fire. It's a manual start, and these Social Security-eligible 62 shoulders ain't what they used to be.

I have the boat because I want to fish. While I do have tools, and I do have some mechanical aptitude, quite honestly, I choose not to spend my time fixing an outboard motor. I'm beginning to look for decent information on new outboards for a replacement. I've been to the manufacturer's web sites and can find the "happy snap" marketing and specs easily enough. Anything beyond that, though, is a mystery to me.

If I search for reviews on outboards, all I can seem to find are those web sites that either Amazon click-bait or collections of disgruntled individuals, each with a story about their brand of outboard is an absolute POS that they'll never buy again.

In the new 20-30HP motor realm, how can I get unbiased information about the outboards that are available? I have a few brands in mind, but finding unbiased info on reliability, favorable/unfavorable "features", etc., is elusive.

Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks in advance.

matt167

Captain
All brands are equal, depends on what your local dealers are and how much you want to spend... Essentially, look at your local marina's and see what's on the back of boats.

Keep in mind, Tohatsu and Mercury in this segment are essentially identical.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go one step further. all outboards under 40hp ARE Tohatsu. just with different cowls and decals. Tohatsu makes motors for everyone.

the mercury branded Tohatsu's get a few mercury specific things like the pull rope handle, etc. however as Matt mentioned, the motors are all equal (because they are all the same)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 1990 model 30 HP is a proven reliable motor.------Built basically the same from 1976 to 2005 I think.---So lots of used parts around.-----I would fix the issues with it and add electric start.----Find a $150 donor motor with every thing you need.

matt167

Captain
go one step further. all outboards under 40hp ARE Tohatsu. just with different cowls and decals. Tohatsu makes motors for everyone.

the mercury branded Tohatsu's get a few mercury specific things like the pull rope handle, etc. however as Matt mentioned, the motors are all equal (because they are all the same)

I don't think Suzuki and Yamaha are the same as Tohatsu. I had looked into detail for my boat and their engines at least in the 30hp range are vastly different than Tohatsu in both displacement and cylinder configuration, and they are not the same as well

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, all.

I looked at boattest.com: While the site seems more geared toward the "whole package", the engines page did give me some ideas on other things to search for.

As to Tohatsu versus others: I think I see what matt167 said. It sure seems like some of the engines in the same category are so vastly different that I can't grasp how these engines come off the same lines, or are even produced by the same company. Nonetheless, I'm sure there's some commonality in some of the offerings. But still, even if they do come off the same lines, there are significant differences in the mechanicals such as EFI versus Battery-less EFI versus carbureted, trim/tilt mechanism, etc. It's those differences that I'm trying to understand.

Regarding racerone's suggestion about finding a "$150" donor motor and kluging a good engine (w/ electric start) together: For several months I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist across from Central Arkansas to Minnesota. I occasionally see Johnson/Evinrude engines in the same class, but not with electric start, or it's evident the engine has been picked over and isn't worth a long drive to check out. Have not seen anything even close to what I need for under $400. I've been to ebay and another site; no Johnson/Evinrudes in this class with electric start that I've seen, even this morning. If there are any suggestions on other places, I'm all ears. I really don't want to spend another fishing season searching for "unobtainium."

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put 3 motors in my truck a while ago , ---Come on over and have a look at them !-----A 1983 Evinrude 50 HP with trim / tilt.---A 2000 Johnson 3 cylinder 25 HP with trim / tilt.----And a 30 HP tracker long shaft like yours.-----Not more than $400 US for those " need attention TLC condition motors " in total.-----The shopping is different in many areas I guess.

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Put 3 motors in my truck a while ago , ---Come on over and have a look at them !-----A 1983 Evinrude 50 HP with trim / tilt.---A 2000 Johnson 3 cylinder 25 HP with trim / tilt.----And a 30 HP tracker long shaft like yours.-----Not more than $400 US for those " need attention TLC condition motors " in total.-----The shopping is different in many areas I guess.
Guess I'm just not plugged into the community that's dealing in outboards.

I thought used motors would be easier to find around here than has been the case. I can find 60+ year old motors in the 3-10 hp range pretty easily. 40-60 hp motors seem easier to get. 20-35 hp? Fuggedaboutit....

My boat is rated for 35hp max; I don't need speed or "hole shots". Just want to be able to cover some water in a reasonable amount of time.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
At that size...you can take your pick really. Up above 90hp...all new outboards certainly aren’t equal anymore. Mercury have that game won by a long way these days. Way ahead of the rest of the 4 strokes.
personally at that size...I’d be after a late model yamaha 2 stroke. Each to their own though.