Where to find a solid boat

BB222

Cadet
Hi Team,
Last year I sold a 21' islander which was too big for where I wanted to use it. It was a great boat though, extremely clean and cool vintage look (pic attached just for fun). I am thinking a 16' 1970s super sport with an outboard would be perfect. I've built 2 boats before so I know how much work can go into a restoration or modification. I would really like to find something that is mostly ready to go. That leads to my question: Compared to the past there seems to be fewer boats on craigslist. There is little to nothing like this on boat trader anymore. Where should I look to find a clean 15 to 16' old starcraft these days?

Let me know your ideas.
Thanks!
Ben
IMG_20200825_115307 (1).jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You may have to wait until fall, or when the market returns to sanity

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
It all depends on where you are located - a quick check brings up a nice SS 16 in Hayward, Wis - an '86 that has been sitting for a while.

BB222

Cadet
I've had more success on Facebook Marketplace than on craigslist.
Thanks guys! I'll have to look into Facebook on more. I'm not a big facebook user so I didn't even think of it. I've always like craiglist and using the craiglist tempest to search.

BB222

Cadet
It all depends on where you are located - a quick check brings up a nice SS 16 in Hayward, Wis - an '86 that has been sitting for a while.
I saw that one! I mapped out how far and it is an 11hr drive from where I am in Ann arbor Michigan. 🙁

Thanks for the heads-up.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ya, it would be nice to find one closer, thou that one is nice.
And, 11 hours isn't so bad, I lived for a year in Sterling Hts MI, and drove home (MPLS) every 4-5 weeks, about 11 hrs door to door.

BWR1953

Admiral
Ya, it would be nice to find one closer, thou that one is nice.
And, 11 hours isn't so bad, I lived for a year in Sterling Hts MI, and drove home (MPLS) every 4-5 weeks, about 11 hrs door to door.
When I was on the hunt for a Chieftain, I looked near and far. I saw one 500 miles north of me, made arrangements with the seller and surprised my wife and boy with a weekend trip. And I've never regretted that decision. They both loved the trip and the Chieftain.

The heart wants what the heart wants. :cool:

airshot

Rear Admiral
I hear ya, just down graded myself from a 1983 Islander, 3.0 140 hp, nice boat but getting to big for this old man to wrestle around. I wanted a 16' side console just to do some fishing with.. Looked for months...keot expanding my search area until I found what I wanted...yep three hours away. Previous owner was very helpfull with pics and numerous phone conversations. Nice boat, well worth the drive !!!

BB222

Cadet
I hear ya, just down graded myself from a 1983 Islander, 3.0 140 hp, nice boat but getting to big for this old man to wrestle around. I wanted a 16' side console just to do some fishing with.. Looked for months...keot expanding my search area until I found what I wanted...yep three hours away. Previous owner was very helpfull with pics and numerous phone conversations. Nice boat, well worth the drive !!!
Nice, Thanks airshot! I have been looking through facebook now (thanks watermann and BWR1953).
Here are a few prospects I'm checking out: Let me know any thoughts- Which one is the winner?

1970 supersport

1970s Jupiter or?

1974 Supersport

1972 Jupiter

1977 Holiday 14

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like the 1st thing you need to decide is what style hull you want, ie, a semi vee, (flat at the back) or the typical Starcraft "gullwing" full vee.
I can tell you from experience, the semi-vee rides a lot rougher the the full vee.

The other thing is how large a boat are you wanting, I've been in a 14, 16 and 18 Starcraft vees, and there are large differences between each step.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep, no one can make that call but you.....what all are you using it for??? In my case just fishing and a little running / playing. Mostly by myself, thus the reason for downsizing.. Nice looking boats...they would be a tough choice!!! My concern is how the motors check out...that could be the expensive part....

BB222

Cadet
Seems like the 1st thing you need to decide is what style hull you want, ie, a semi vee, (flat at the back) or the typical Starcraft "gullwing" full vee.
I can tell you from experience, the semi-vee rides a lot rougher the the full vee.

The other thing is how large a boat are you wanting, I've been in a 14, 16 and 18 Starcraft vees, and there are large differences between each step.
I'm pretty well decided on a 15 or 16' boat to fit in the garage. I need to learn which hulls are Deep vs semi vee. If there is a resource
Yep, no one can make that call but you.....what all are you using it for??? In my case just fishing and a little running / playing. Mostly by myself, thus the reason for downsizing.. Nice looking boats...they would be a tough choice!!! My concern is how the motors check out...that could be the expensive part....
Thanks for the ideas. I will probably use it in small inland lakes in Michigan. I would like to be able to go to Lake St. Clair on a really nice day. That said a vee hull would be preferred. I am pretty well decided that a 15 or 16 foot boat is what I want so It can fit in the garage. I found the old 70's brochures. It looks like there was no 16 foot V5. That would have been perfect. Otherwise I guess a 16 foot super-sport or Holiday.

There are a couple of nice Jupiters but I think those are pretty flat/ semi-vee. If there is a better info source on these old models and hull types let me know. I have just been finding random 70s sales brochures. Thanks everyone

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
One of those 16’ Supers would fit the bill for you. Stable, tough boats. Watch for corroded rivets and soft floors at the splashwell, seat mounting areas and between helms