Where to find a $3000-4000 dollar boat? And What to look for/what to avoid?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where to find a $3000-4000 dollar boat? And What to look for/what to avoid?

I still say the original poster should tell us what his intended uses of / expectations in a boat are before we can offer any decent opinions.

haulnazz15

Captain

The upside to the late-Cobra drives is that it could be the version that is basically the Volvo-equivalent unit.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For what you're looking for and the price range you have you'll just be buying someone elses problems.

Those type boats in that price range are project boats and need to be gone through completely and restored or you'll spend more time in the shop and dry dock than on the water... not to mention being stranded on the water and at the mercy of other boaters.

Again, it depends on what youy are looking to do. My current boat is a Lowe 15.5 ft welded aluminum bass boat with a 40HP Evenrude VRO (1990 vintage) I spent $2750 and added a trolling motor and later I updated the fishfinder. Great for a one person inland fishing boat, tight for two people, but do-able. I do not think this is what he has in mind, but we do not know what he wants to do. I have seen similar boats with a v-bottom at similar prices. None of these are "other peoples problems", but on the other hand, they are not what he wants for salt water or the big-lakes or even skiing. So, what do you plan on doing with this boat.

TerryMSU

Justakid

Recruit

Again, it depends on what youy are looking to do. My current boat is a Lowe 15.5 ft welded aluminum bass boat with a 40HP Evenrude VRO (1990 vintage) I spent $2750 and added a trolling motor and later I updated the fishfinder. Great for a one person inland fishing boat, tight for two people, but do-able. I do not think this is what he has in mind, but we do not know what he wants to do. I have seen similar boats with a v-bottom at similar prices. None of these are "other peoples problems", but on the other hand, they are not what he wants for salt water or the big-lakes or even skiing. So, what do you plan on doing with this boat.

TerryMSU

I'm looking preferably for a boat that I can use on the ocean as well as in lakes for cruising/tubing/ water skiing etc etc, as I live right on the water in Oak Bay, British Columbia. Is the type of boat listed above capable of use on the ocean? If not, which sort of boat would be the best for these needs?

Thank you!

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMO The first one and the last one are pretty good deals. the last one expecially but i'm sure you'll hear a lot on hear from the whaler crew! :D first one would be nice but the trailer is a little small and the boat is smaller. I would take a good look at thhe whaler if its close to you at all.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Disagree on the outboard statement. With no more info that you have about what he wants to do, no outboards is a strong statement. Avoid Chrysler outboards for the same reason as avoiding the OMC I/Os. For Outboards, you need to be sure what you are buying is in good condition, but the same can be said about inboard power plants. The one nice thing about outboards is that a change from say Chrysler to Johnson or Mercury is do-able with a minimum of modifications to the boat (unlike a change from one I/O manufacturer to another). Still a lot of money to change but it is primarily the motor cost, not the cost of modifications to the boat.

TerryMSU

Where I live on the North Carolina coast, my I/O is the odd man out. Everybody down here recommends outboards. Inland it was different since the I/O engines like fresh water better than salt.

In my area, outboard repair facilities outnumber I/O repair facilities probably four to one. I don't have many options as to where I can take my boat when it's sick, even though it's engined by the GM built 3.0 liter straight four. But back when I lived in Charlotte, NC where the lakes were where it was at, it seemed every shop would take in I/Os. So it depends on where you live and your intended use.

vince21

Cadet

well you guys are right. outboards can be useful in certain situations. I was using my experience not considering others' experience with boating. Ive lived in colorado all my life. and we have used our boats at the pueblo reservoir, chattfield, and lake powell UT. My whole family has waterskied, tubed, wakeboarded, and kneeboarded since we could walk. so thats why we like the i/o sterndrive. weve onl ever owned one outboard and the tubing kinda sucked ad well as every other thing we do. the engine simply got in the way.

cjarcher

Recruit

I don't know why everyone is hating on the ford 2.3l. I have one in my four winns freedom and it is a great running motor with surprising performance for a 4 banger.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I recently purchased our family a "new" boat, and ended up driving to another state to find what I was looking for and willing to pay good money for. I bought a 1983 Larson with an 86 Merc 90hp. I gave a total of $2500 for it, and have only spent money on a small platform mounted on the transom. Considering the elevation change, I have had to do some tuning and adjustments, but that's no big deal. I feel that I got a great deal because for what I was willing to pay, nothing in my area was worth it. I'm not afraid to turn wrenches, so that definitely helps. If you don't know what you are doing, then by all means, get ready to spend money at a shop.

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do your homework and take your time you can do well in this range. For example our 88 Sea Ray 19 Bowrider broke even over 6 years. Clean, elk running 18-19 ft bowriders hold their value well here in Wisconsin. Wait for a good deal on a reliable 3.0 or 4.3 Mercruiser in a good name boat like Sea Ray or FourWinns etc. Stay new enough for modernish styling. This can be done for under $4000.

dao

Cadet

I pray you indulge a newb stepping in here.

I have spotted a 1988 bayliner cobra with original motor (recently rebuilt) for 3500.

Two concerns, relative reliability (I know... it's an old boat) AND could its transom handle a mount and 9.9 kicker motor (a necessity for NJ's smaller lakes).

Thank you for any help,
david from NW NJ

emoney

Commander

David, you should start your own thread if you want plenty of people to weigh in. Also, if you have pics, that helps tremendously. Having said all that, no way to know about the transom on that particular boat, but when it was manufactured, I'm sure it could've handled an outboard kicker. Now, no way to know without inspecting it. Rot is an ugly thing and doesn't always show it's head until it's too late.