Where should I start?

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
By my username you can guess that I am the proud owner of a new to me Bayliner Capri.

It was given to my wife and I by a family member who hasn't used it in four years. I am told that it ran great and had no problems when it was winterized in the fall of '04. Due to events in their lives the boat hasn't seen water since. Upon hearing that we were looking for a runabout the boat was delivered to my driveway with title and the expressed desire that someone should enjoy it.

I am greatful to this person for their generocity, however I am not sure where to start to bring this boat back to life. As I am writing this I have yet to survey the vessel or even set a foot aboard it for that matter. I have been told by a friend that the battery will be a lost cause and the carburator in the 80hp Force will probably be gummed up.

This is by first time not buying a turn-key boat, so be easy on me.

Thanks!

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where should I start?

Check for overall seaworthiness, cracks and such will need repaired. I would have an auto store check the battery, it is normally free, if its bad, buy a new one from them. I wouldn't go diagnosing a motor until you have at least tried to start it.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Your first plus was the fact that is was winterized as far as the engine is concerned, I'm assuming this is an 85 hp Force outboard, if it is jump over to the Force troubleshooting side of the forum and let's talk about the engine there!

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iBoats.
Lots of experience here and these guys like to help.
Has the boat been stored out in the weather or has it been garaged?
Are the bilge drain plugs installed?
Basically, has the boat been holding water for 4 years?

First thing I would do with the motor is check compression.
Then I would replace the water pump impeller. Replace the battery.
You don't say what year it is.
Depends if injected or carbureted, 2 stoke or 4 stoke.
Buy a manual for the motor.

Tell us more and we love pictures.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow,

Talk about fast responce. You guys are on this before I have even got home to survey the boat.

I can answer some of the questions though:

1. The motor is free and will turn over.
2. The boat has been stored outdoors with a cover on it up untill last year when the cover tore off.
3. The plug is out of the boat so no holding water.
4. Yes, it is an 85hp Force motor of Mercuy decent...
5. Not sure of the year of boat/motor as I have yet to lay my hand on it or the tittle however I believe it is a early to mid 90's boat.

The previous owner is very knowledgeable about boats and I believe stored this boat properly. I would be bugging him with all my questions but he is off on a 6 week expedition in South America currently.

I will update more info as I get it. I am on the road for work most of the week so my postings may be far apart, but thanks for the help.

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE!!

The boat is here. I believe it is an '87 model. The floor is solid. The upholstry is good and crack free. Other than a mouse nest when I pulled the motor cover it looked new and clean. After a few sqirts of oil in the cylinders, the motor spins free and has good compresion.

Now the bad. There is a full tank of stinkin gas that I don't know what to do with. I don't have a clue how to rebuild and sync the three carbs.

So what do you think? Should I just send it to a chap and if so how much should I expect to pay? I am not afraid of working on it I just have no idea what to do.

Thanks,

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

mcbroomsear

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE!!

The boat is here. I believe it is an '87 model. The floor is solid. The upholstry is good and crack free. Other than a mouse nest when I pulled the motor cover it looked new and clean. After a few sqirts of oil in the cylinders, the motor spins free and has good compresion.

Now the bad. There is a full tank of stinkin gas that I don't know what to do with. I don't have a clue how to rebuild and sync the three carbs.

So what do you think? Should I just send it to a chap and if so how much should I expect to pay? I am not afraid of working on it I just have no idea what to do.

Thanks,

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

First: I'd get a manual for the motor. It will come in handy time and time again. Most of the Seloc and similar manuals will walk you through the rebuilds of the Carbs, Fuel Pumps and the like pretty easily. If you have the extra dough, I'd get an OEM manual specific to your engine. Seloc and aftermarket manuals contain multiple years of engines. The OEM manuals are supposed to be specific to the engine you have.

Give the manual a read through and see if you feel you can rebuild them using the manuals instructions. The gasket and rebuild kits are relatively inexpensive.

As for the cost of a professional: It all depends on who and where is doing the work but it will be substansial.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats Mike, now where are the pictures?

If you don't have any experience working on motors and if you have not rebuilt 1 barrel carbs before I would just send it out for the work. It depends if you have the tools also.

It will need a new water pump impeller, rebuild the fuel pumps and carbs, new plugs (complete tune up) timing, etc. new gear oil in lower end and test run with adjustments made. I had this done to my old Merc. with new throttle and shift cables, some wire repairs for $525. But you should have a manual for the motor anyway.

If you send out just the motor you can spend your time on the polishing and cleaning of the boat that I'm sure it will need. How is the chrome and gel coat?

Oh and don't forget to service the trailer too. Repack the wheel bearings with new seals. No telling when that was done last.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would charge the battery, put some fresh fuel in the tank, and try to start the engine on muffs. Why fix something when you don't what/if anything is wrong.

It will need a new waterpump impeller and I would check the lower unit gear oil, but there is no reason to tear down the carbs at this point unless you know something is wrong.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

fishingdan,
Do you really think the carbs may be clean after 6 years of sitting with gas in them?
What about the fuel pump?

pccharger

Recruit

I just went through the same thing with a 1997 Maxum 1900SR with a 4.3 Mercruiser. The boat was parked in my mother in law's garage for the last four years. I have been a boat builder for the last 14 years but this was my first time doing mechanical work on a used one. The only help that I received on this project was searching and reading the threads on iboats. All the information that you need is somewhere on this forum and in the service manual for your motor.

After some hard work the boat looks and runs like new. Here is a list of what I have done over the past month. This will give you an idea of what you can save if you can do it yourself.

$850 invested

1 - service manual
2 - new battery and battery box
3 - fresh gas and stabil
4 - carb rebuild kit and float
5 - fuel filter
6 - plugs, plug wires, distributer cap and rotor
7 - timing light
8 - oil and oil filter
9 - water circulating pump
10 - impeller kit, gear oil and o-rings
11 - Tie Down complete drum brake kit ( coupler, brake lines, brakes, rotors and bearings )
12 - Fulton drum brake wash down kit
13 - carpet cleaner, buffing compound, polish etc.
14 - FREEBIES- blood,sweat and a sunburn

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So far the carbs seem good. The boat runs strong on muffs. The impeller is to be replaced. We will see soon how it does on the lake.

I have some chips in the gelcoat that show the fiberglass underneith. What is the best method for patching or filling these chips? I have about a dozen spots around the boat that I need to fix.

I am buying a digital camera soon so I will post some pics as soon as I figure the blasted thing out!

Thanks and happy boating!

maxum247

Lieutenant

With your camera's pictures downloaded to your computer, click on the reply icon in the thread that you want to use the picture in, then at the bottom of the page double click go advanced, when the page comes up write your story, click on the paper clip at the top, click browse and find the picture you want to use and double click on it, now double click upload on the page where you clicked browse, once your picture appears along with what you've written, click on post reply. Your story and picture or pictures depending on how many you choose to upload, up to 5 pictures I beleive is allowed, should now show in the thread.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

I figured out how to do that and now it says the jpeg is to big. I am going to play with it to see if I can shrink it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you upload the images to photobucket....it can resize them for you right there on the site.