where " R " all the Springbok boat guys

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:D Hay just wanted 2 know where all the Springbok owners are and if they could show some pic,s of their boats and how long U had it & please comment
on mine 1977 16 footer with 1977 evinrude out broad power trim and tilt just brought it NOV 23 2010 sit in my back yard no garage yet..

Attachments

• 3881759_20.jpg
    3881759_20.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where " R " all the Springbrok boat guys

Re: where " R " all the Springbrok boat guys

Gary I may be wrong but I think most of the Springbok owners are probably in Canada as this was a Canadian manufactured boat. Not a huge number of Great White North types on the site. There is a form on the site here;( http://forums.iboats.com/Springbrok ). A search using Google also will bring up other posts on the site that deal with these fine boats. Have fun with your new toy, it look great.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: where " R " all the Springbok boat guys

thanks for the kind words will look at that web site, and happy holidays to U and your family !!!!:) and thats a great name for my boat if I put one LOL

GREAT WHITE:eek:

Last edited:

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

iam a springbok boatie from Durban & have just joined this site, was a member of Durban Ski boat club & did my Skippers ticket through the club ,moved to new zealand 14 yrs ago, & love it hear , iam presently modifying a 1970 60hp points & condenser distributor system ,by fitting a 1977 70hp timer base & sensor distributor system ,both are Evinrude , with just a few modifications, awaiting aprovel from the administrators, to list a post on the site, regarding setting the timeing to 70hp settings, it has heaps of spark , just need help with timeing,happy boating.

Canada Goose

Cadet

this is the Springbok I have .. not sure of the year 1970's. It is 15 long and five feet wide and 32" deep..
I visited Springbok factory in Toronto when I was in about grade seven... quite an experience
Not sure if I have figured how to add pictures to this forum

This was my father's old boat-- he gave it to me about 15 years ago and last week decided to refurbish
Below is some info on Springbok .

SPRINGBOK
Goods/Services (1) Boats and boat trailers.
Owner ALUMINUM GOODS LIMITED
Address 158 Sterling Road
Toronto 3
ONTARIO
Status REGISTERED
Date Filed 1958-11-12
Date Registered 1959-04-10
Serial No CA248155

seven_magnum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a springbok I am about to start a restore thread on. It's only a 14 footer, but it's not in too bad of shape. When I am painting my islander, I am going to through a coat of paint on it as well. It is my current fishing boat and handles it's self pretty well. I usually run it with a mercury 9.8 anywhere from the Susquehanna river (not quite a mile wide, but getting close) to the Delaware bay. It's been a great boat for me, but it's starting to leak a little bit so I will have some work to do. I am also going to get one of those hard to find decals cut for me by a friend who makes custom die cuts.

Foster

Canada Goose

Cadet

Maybe this worked.. here are the pictures
Any information would be appreciated

Attachments

• Springbok Boat.jpg
    Springbok Boat.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2
  • Dad's 1970's Springbok  pic taken Apr.2012.jpg
    Dad's 1970's Springbok pic taken Apr.2012.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

A - ha! The Springbok fraternity lives!

Here's mine - a '70 (I think) 14 footer that my Dad gave me when I was about 9 years old. I grew up in this thing, first using a Johnson 2 hp, then a 9.9 then finally the Merc 7.5 you see on it. We added side console steering when I was in my early teens. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours exploring the local lake with my buddies or just my dog. As Sasto says in his sig - Best Of All Times.....

By my mid teens I felt I had outgrown it (the stupidity of youth) and preferred to use my parents bigger runabout. It sat mouldering away for a good 30 years behind the garage at the lake, biding its time, waiting patiently for me to come to my senses (at least I wasn't dumb enough to sell it)

Well, fast forward a bunch o years, done with school, got a career, got a spouse and, whaddaya know, my own kid turned 10 last summer. I decided I would attempt to do some refurbishing work on the hull and motor, see if it could be made seaworthy again so I could give it to him. I loved the idea of seeing a third generation of the scoutabout clan take up where I left off in the very same boat.

She's awfully ratty now but we dragged it out from its overgrown, vine tangled resting place to take a look. My son went to town with the pressure washer, blasted all manner of dirt, moss, and other crud out of and off of it, we cleaned decades worth of leaves out too, and when I popped the back off the console to check the steering, cleaned a couple of nests out of the works, then we stood back and took stock.

She needed some holes fixed, I replaced the rotten transom insert, reinforced some fatigue cracks in the hull and got the old merc going again thanks to some doner motor parts and some help from a sympathetic mechanic (new stuff from merc, what little is available for this motor is stupid expensive)

She still needs some paintwork and rewiring and the merc isn't quite fettled yet, but here are a couple of pics from last summer. I swear, getting my little buddy behind the wheel to teach him some boat handling just like my dad did when I was his age was one one the best moments I've had in recent memory. He just loves it, warts and all. I know I've posted before about this but begging your indulgence, here I go again...

Unearthed into light of day once more...

Springbok_console2.jpg

She floats! Sorta...say, what's with the oil slick forming around the engine...? And my, doesn't this transom flex rather alarmingly...

DSC06593.jpg

New transom insert fabbed, varnished, and installed and rusted fasteners replaced; steering cable lubed, new old ignition bits installed along with new impeller and gearcase seals; rotted sections of fuel line replaced along with cracked primer bulb.

tinnienewtransominterior.jpg

Sea Squirt rides again!!

emmietinniedad.jpg

The kid drops the hammer. We make maybe 12 knots....thanks to a following sea...

emmietinnieaft.jpg

The face says it all...

emmietinnieside.jpg

EDIT - jeez, all my rambling almost qualifies as its own mini resto thread. Maybe I'll try to copy this post over...

Canada Goose

Cadet

Hi! again
Well have been working on the old Springbok boat for over a month... hope to make the real launch this Saturday.

I had a new cover made, painted it ; new floors and seats; and new Evinrude 40 hp Etec -- I took for one trail run with the 5 hp merc and electric motor to ensure it floated and didn't leak before I bought new motor.

Attached are some pictures
I would like to get a picture of the Springbok trademark decal on the port side... I have the starboard side picture thanks to someone else on here... I want to new decals made or paint some new ones

Cheers Norm

Attachments

• DSC07200.JPG
    DSC07200.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1
  • Silk Purse gets a new motor  May 29, 2012 (14).JPG
    Silk Purse gets a new motor May 29, 2012 (14).JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC07262.jpg
    DSC07262.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat and Truck - first launch.jpg