where is the cheapest place for boat insurance

travish

Cadet
Where do you get your boat ins from. Mine has always been with Allstate (my homeowners, auto, and boat) it was $350/year. Now it has gone up to $400/year. Plus I pay seatow $150/year. I've never used either. It is getting Ridiculous. I could by a really nice Depth finder every 2 years for that.

Travis

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: where is the cheapest place for boat insurance

I've never used either

First off...be glad you haven't had to use either!

Second, post what kind of boat that you have and what your insurance limits are and maybe we can help you compare.

I insure a $25,000 sterndrive boat with $300,000 liability and $250 deductible for $533. $460 of that covers the equipment and the remaining $73 is the liability coverage.

My company is USAA which you have to be an officer in the armed forces, retired officer or sibling of either one of those to use this company.

rogerwa

Commander

I used progressive for trhe past two years. I think you can run a quote online to see what you get..

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

What do we need amount wise for a 12 foot vee and 4 horsey 'Rude? We probably need to get that sorted out sooner or later, and need numbers to start with.
Thanks, bassboy1

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have heard progressive is very cost competitive. I use Boat US because they have been able to answer all my questions regarding coverage, and the tow service is very inexpensive. I saw they put a tow service boat in Sister Bay. Very cool.

rogerwa

Commander

I dropped BoatUS because i did not want to pay the membership..

travish

Cadet

Bruce58,

I have an 18' center console with a Honda 130 outboard.

$20,000 coverage on the boat, $300,000 Liability. I am not sure about my deductible.

Travis

billy&emma

Cadet

I've fould the best place is your local farm bureau or state famr insurance companies.:) :) :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Travish,

It doesn't sound out of line to me. Shop around a little bit to see what you can find is all i can suggest. One important thing about insurance companies is that cheapest is not always best. I use USAA because it has high ratings regarding its service to its insured..

Bruce

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Contact USAA and see if they have a program for you. I'm with bruceb58 on them & been with them for 45+ years.

When you talk to (whoever) get a quote on a $1,000,000.00 liability umbrella. That allows you to get the minimum liability limit on any other policy you have with that company which more than covers the cost of the umbrella. A money saver - - -

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've fould the best place is your local farm bureau or state famr insurance companies.:) :) :)

thank you, im an agent with farm bureau. whereas we are about the least expensive, our underwriting keeps pretty tight limits on what we are able to insure. if it's really fast and fun we usually wont do it. also, farm bureau is not is all states, and each one is independent from another. please feel free to ask any insurance questions you may have....good luck

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

We ended up going with geico's skisafe. We had progressive last year but geico beat them by 150 bucks and had higher limits. BoatUS was so rediculously over priced that I laughed at the guy when he gave me the quote.

You can't really compare insurance to what another boater in another area is paying. You need to get several estimates locally. My coverage includes open ocean... if you're not by the coast, you can't compare rates with me. Different hulls and motors, size of your water, years of experience, credit... all these things factor in.

sychan29

Cadet

18ft I/O for use on an inland lake.

We went with State Farm for about $300. It was a little higher than Boat US but with some higher limits. For the difference, I decided to keep boat insurance with everything else (home, auto, etc). Oh, and this was my first year boating, so I'm sure I got charged a little bit more.

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need to check several places, it depends on your boat, your driving history, location-- just like a car. I checked several places including Progressive , State Farm and others-- Boat U.S was cheapest including the membership fee--

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rates will vary greatly based upon where you live and prices among insurance companies change from year to year. find an agent you truck who carries a good solid company and buy from them....the true test of insurace comes at the time of loss - dont just look for the cheapest

Morpheus

Recruit

I must be getting ripped off cause mine is $1095 a year for a 2006 Sea Ray Sundeck 240 which is 24' (26' with the swim platform)

Maybe I need to be looking around.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, morpheus, you are getting ripped. i am happy with progressive for both car and boat. boat is $400 for year for my '89. the only bad thing is they don't write 6 mo policies.they have rediculously good tow package. like, 365 days a yr, 300 miles or something. thats full collision and comp. i don't even have collision on my 4 runner, it was just a good deal. and someone t-boned me last year and my mustang was totalled :-( but it had 120k and they gave me 7500 for it. more than generous. now i've got a boat and a 4runner. worked out well. i don't think i'll buy any more new cars. just not worth it. good luck!

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I have AAA for my boat insurance. i think its 230$ a year and I have the boat insured for a Agreed upon price of 9500$. this way thats what they pay out in case of a total loss. they also insured the outdrive the hull the trailer and as a package its 9500$. I think i have a 500$ deductible
Rob

dcwcce

Cadet

Travish,

It doesn't sound out of line to me. Shop around a little bit to see what you can find is all i can suggest. One important thing about insurance companies is that cheapest is not always best. I use USAA because it has high ratings regarding its service to its insured..

Bruce

My Personal Experience

USAA - Cheapest for Cars -
Progressive - Boat
Farmers - Homeowners

One Size doesn't fit all . . . . .

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

I got a decent quote from Progressive, then called State Farm (who I have my homeowners and auto with) and got an even better rate. I'd do the same, call Progressive first then your auto/home coverage provider next.