Where is my thermostat located??

cacien

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
3
Hello everyone, just recently bought a 1971 johnson 50 hp outboard motor and rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, and put a new impeller and I still get the overheat horn blaring. She starts up just fine without the choke and she runs smoothly any suggestions? I was going to check the thermostat but can't find it anywhere and the manual doesn't even mention a t-stat! Help me please!! The summer is fading quickly!
 

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
1,740
Re: Where is my thermostat located??

Look at the head, under the bottom cylinder area. There should be an access cover around there somewhere.
 

cacien

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
3
Re: Where is my thermostat located??

Cool, I found it, just in case anyone needs to know on a 1971 johnson 50 hp hydroelectric drive, the t-stat is found on the back plate covering the spark plugs.
 
Top