Where have all the Stainless Steel screws gone???

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have not found a good source for SS screws. Anyone have a good source? So far I have only found them at Tractor Supply Co. for .50 cents. That would add up quickly. I need at least 100.<br /><br /> I also am wondering about the best thru hull drain plug for my transom replaicment project. Can you still get the brass units? Do they require special tools to flare? Should I start a new post for that question? I don't want to start to many posts this early in my Iboats experience :D

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Where have all the Stainless Steel screws gone???

Ok, thanks. Thats about a 1.5 hour drive to the nearest HD. I tried sLowes, but not a single SS screw. I did go to a smaller sLowes tho so I might still try the BIG sLowes in Campbellsville,KY.<br /><br />Thanks tho.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, I can walk to mine. They're pretty cheap there. Also, the Lowes near me also sells them, so I'd try that bigger one near you. Maybe call them first....

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I've had good luck at my local Ace Hardware. I needed a bunch of screws for installing a floor, and they gave me a deal on the box.<br /><br />They have a good selection of sizes and types, and also had castle nuts.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I get most of mine from my local Lowe's but if I need a large number I go to Jamestown Distributors for them.<br /><br />Thom

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found plenty at the BIG sLowes. Thanks everyone! I tried a couple of hardware stores, the Ace man said no one around here is rich enuf to afford SS screws. I told him, if I was rich I would have bought a new boat not screws to fix up my old barge! I even found 5200 at Wally World. The big city of Campbellsville is great! Now if I just knew where to get styrene...hummm.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I got mine from my local True Value, $10 per box of 100.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Tim Frey:<br /> I have not found a good source for SS screws. Anyone have a good source?
Actually, buying stainless screws is strickly a last resort or an act of desperation.<br /><br />The best place to get them is to scrounge them from other boats. And, that's recycling-- for the good of the country ya know.<br /><br />Once word gets around that you work on these old ladies, folks will all but bring old boats over and drop them off in your yard.<br /><br />Once you've been working on these things awhile, somehow you'll accumulate several old hulls in your yard. After that happens, you can normally poke around and just take them out of a old boat.<br /><br />('Save a buck where ya can' I always say)<br /><br />*chuckle*<br /><br />Ed.

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well Ed, I do have a couple ol hay fields that might hold a few ol boats. It would be nice to have a few here for parts. And there aren't any boat junkyards for miles! Hummm.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got four in my yard, i even found ss screws at wal-mart, they were higher than lowes of course

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you can wait a few days for an order, try these people:<br /><br /> McMaster-Carr supplies website <br /><br />I recieved hard to find hardware from them in two days. Hope they can support your needs.<br /><br />Mark

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked Ebay? There are several sellers that offer ss packages of 100+ for a really low price, but be sure to ask the shipping charge in advance. A mistake I made once :eek:

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tim, let me know what you need. I have alot of sheetmetal, wood screws in packets with other stainless screws and pop rivets.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tim do you ever go to Shelbyville. Try Chism's True Value Hardware they used to carry them but they are probaly not any cheaper than TSC.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

McMaster Carr is so fine, I buy stuff from them I don't even need!<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RANimmo, I don't get to Shelbyville much. I did buy all the SS hardware I needed at sLowes. Not cheap but I have em. Thanks to all for the help though.