Where does the water go?

jvolpe28

Seaman
Hello I have been boating over 10 years , however I have never owned a boat bigger than a 16 ft alum....with no floor , just fishing boats. Now with my current boat a 16 ft fiberglass 1972 mfg. I do not understand the bilge system, I wish I knew what it looked like under the floor, I know in the back of my boat there is a small "well" it's the lowest point in the boat and right at the drain hole, I installed a new blige pump in this location, my question is, ..."is it true that any water that gets in the boat, will end up in this location, could water get plugged up somewhere else in the boat?.....or will ALL water run to the "well" or bilge ?....thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Where does the water go?

There are a number of ribs under the decking. Thru the center of these,usually at he lowest point,there is a small 1/2" to 1" hole. All the water that gets into the boat,drains out thru these.And yes, they can and do plug up. You will notice this most times, by tyhe boat sitting differently in the water,sluggish performance, and a "sloshing" sound when the boat is bounced on the trailer.<br />Unplugging can be as easy as running a small pipe tru it,to as complicated as ripping-up the decking.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Water should flow back to the bilge area. Some old fiberglass boats have a nasty habit of absorbing water into various parts of the hull.<br />Usually will be obvious.It will seem excesively<br />heavy, may float lopsided for no apparent reason.<br />May have poor or strange performance. Hope all is right with yours.

jvolpe28

Seaman

please read my "first time out front heavy post" my boat is not leanint to a right or left angle, it just seems a little front heavy, i guess i normally expect for the bow to sit up a bit

jvolpe28

Seaman

I wonder if there is any detailed pictures of a boat with the lower hull exposed

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

There was a recent post regarding boat restorations. They noted the website http://www.rotdoctor.com/ which has a lot of detail pictures of the inside of a boat during the restoration process. <br /><br />Most of these boats were originally designed for all the water to flow to the collection area. But with the years, most boats developed rotted floor wood and screw holes that allow water in to the area between the floor and hull. There is usually a small drain plug for the hull. Keep it in while in use and out during travel and storage.

D

DJ

JV,<br /><br />If you REALLY want to see what is below the floor, might I suggest you cut a couple of holes and have a look. The holes can be then cut to the size of deck plates and you will have permanent access when you want it. Just make sure you cut the holes in areas that sound hollow. You don't want to cut into a stringer. They won't affect the structural integrity of the floor as long as you don't do too many.<br />You may be able to determine that there are several compartments, put one in each.<br /><br />Most waterproof deck plates are about $10.00 each for an 8" model and come in a variety of colors.