Where do I find brake parts for my Four Winns trailer?

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where do I find brake parts for my Four Winns trailer? This is a 1991 trailer with surge brakes and drums, not electric. See pictures

TrailerWheelHub.jpg

I expect to have to have the brake drum turned on a lathe and then replace the break shoes and maybe a lot of the hardware inside the drum. I have not removed the hub yet.

What I expect* to do is this: remove the rubber cap, pull the cotter pin, loosen a nut, remove a bearing and slide off the hub.

Any suggestions?

I also expect to have to replace all the break lines.

tpenfield

Staff member
Trailer parts are fairly generic. There are several online trailer parts websites where you can order replacement brake assemblies, lines, master cylinders, etc . . .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The rubber cap is for a Bearing Buddy. Tap the Bearing Buddy off and continue with the cotter pin, nut, etc.

I would plan on replacing the bearings and seal. The old bearings may be good, but your going this deep, might as well put new ones in. The seal must be replaced as it is removed to take the inner bearing - Seals can't be reused.

I don't have good sources for brake parts.

Guy A

Cadet
I also have a four winns trailer with disc brakes and was looking for parts...hard to come by a manual so i started taking everything apart.

the manufacturer of the brakes were stamped on the back side of the calipers (Kodiak).

so maybe if you start into it you may find the manufacturer stamped somewhere.

good luck

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: My brakes are 10 inch x 2 1/4. That is a pretty standard size. To determine that, I measured across the the brake shoes and then the width of the shoes. After talking to a local trailer shop, the best thing to do it replace the complete assembly. I can get it for $53 each side. That includes the shoes, springs and the cylinder. Before I install the new parts, I will flush out the lines. I may even replace the old hard lines with flexible hose.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the stainless lines are good I'd keep them, no dry rot with stainless. Probably Dexter assemblies.