Where do dead boats go?

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice
My avatar shows what I started with. Then there was this microburst. Six trees hit the boat. Did not have boat insurance. Thought it was covered as personal property. Wrong.

P6250406.JPGP6250388.JPGP6250408.JPG

emoney

Commander
Re: Where do dead boats go?

They go to the landfill around here. Of course, we cut them up otherwise they charge us. Check with yours. Sorry to hear about the storm, though. I had a tree fall on a car once and it stinks.

NHGuy

Captain

I'm so sorry for your boat. That completely stinks. On the bright side, did your motor & gear survive? Looks like they did.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Usually just in front of me in the launch line. :facepalm: W T H ! :confused:;):D

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I took one to the local landfill. They didn't want me messing with it or the trailer - they had me park it over to the side in a "special place". I'm not quite sure what happened from there. :rolleyes:

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Our recycling yard takes then. They handle the cutting up part (think large trackhoe with even larger jaws of life attached to the end). Sorry to hear about the storm damage. Are you able to salvage enough stuff to just be looking for a hull?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

around here there are boat junk yards that may take it to strip it; they would also buy the motor from you. But the parts don't sell for much so they won't pay a lot.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

like others said, the landfill. But take the motor and controls off first!

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

The motor took a direct hit from 10-inch diameter tree, hence a totally busted transom. I don't know enough of what I'm looking at to assess motor damage, although some parts look out of alignment. The control handle is, in fact, broken. The boat was moved off center of the winch post and the two supports on the winch post are bent. Also, the tires are rotten and I hate to buy new ones just to haul the boat to the dump. I may just leave it where it is and let the poison ivy take it over. I am removing some trim items that I might be able to use on another boat. Thanks, everyone, for the information.

jasperboy

Seaman

My guess was Craigslist with a price about $1K over NADA.

oldjeep

Admiral

Around here, use a sawzall and cut into garbage can sized chunks after removing anything that could be sold on ebay or craigslist.

Nandy

Commander

southern, if you were a bit closer I would take it out of your hands. Most landfills will charge you, I know the one in Gaston would that is why I let an old hull parked in an strategic part and it was gone withing a day... someones trash is another person....

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Strip anything and everything off the boat and the motor, fill your garage if you have to, then list them on eBay. Good chance you'll recoup a good deal of your loss. As for the hull, you can cut it up into small pieces, and slowly throw it out with your trash if worst comes to worst!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunate. Can't tell exactly what the boat was but appears to be an older bowrider. I recently tried to GIVE one of those away. It needed new floor and seats. Hull itself has in excellent shape. I had it listed locally for over a year. No one wanted it. Finally wife said it has to go. I stripped it of hardware, cut it into smaller pieces with the angle grinder and took it to the local landfill. Cost me $50 in tipping fees.

whistler66

Seaman

Seems a lot of people take any hardware off them and park them near the water's edge. Then pray for rain and hopefully a rise in water level!

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I'll probly get scolded for this but during the old times in Miami we'd strip em of everything, including flotation. Tow em out in the atlantic aways'n pull the plug. 'Member my uncle Gary blowing holes in the bottom of one with a bangstick on one such occasion. Ahh the fond memories ...

Anyway nowadays the sawsall works best for me. Once ya determine the correct blade.