Where did the cosmos come from?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Where did the cosmos come from?

One theory that goes along with the Big Bang theory is that there was another universe before the one that we now know that had it's own big bang. That universe expanded like we are now, until a point and then began to collapse. When all matter met after the collapse, another big bang occured. It is theorized that the expansion of our universe will slow, eventually stop and begin to collapse thus continuing the cycle. Remember, matter can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed. Likely all the matter that has ever been or is now in the universe has always been there and is stuck in a very violent, cyclical "reconfiguration" that occurs every 20 or so billion years.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The Big Bang has nearly been photographed, and it will be if the Hubble telescope lasts long enough. It's already photographed light from 13 billion years ago, just another 700,000 or so years to go. <br /><br />Would you believe that "the universe is not just expanding, but expanding faster and faster, propelled by a mysterious force called dark energy. ... To see dark energy in action, Hubble is clocking the speed of stars that shone when the universe first showed signs of acceleration four billion years after the Big Bang. It's the only telescope equipped to spot these stars. "<br /><br />Smithsonian Magazine, July 2004

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> It's as overwhelming as trying to figure out how many cubic inches there are in the universe.
I heard it was a 350 . . . :p :D

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by magster65:<br /> <br />Vlad - If matter was sucked into a black hole... who's to say it would reappear elsewhere or just be converted back into this 'pure energy' of a miniature singularity? When matter passes the event horizon it is so chaotic, stretched and superheated that it wouldn't seem possible to reappear as matter again.<br /><br />Maybe I am on dope...
Yup! Who's to say, I would think that it may as you say, it could possibly be converted into some form of energy, but the exits of blackholes or as some call it whiteholes are as yet to be discovered.<br /><br />These types of anomalies are somewhat undefined since the behaviour of blackholes do tend to defy the laws of physics as it is understood by man.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is both frustrating and proper that we know so little. <br /><br />Theories of the cosmos and of intelligent design are not in conflict.<br /><br />We have learned of the relationships between mass, energy and time but do not understand static forces or their relationships to the above. There is, my friends, a relationship. . .a law of everything that encompasses mass, energy, time, gravity, magnetism, electrostatics and the microforce that binds subatomic particles. We may never "discover" it.<br /><br />Another thing we haven't "discovered" and don't understand is time/space. Neither had a beginning and neither will end. Infinity is a word we use but don't grasp.

magster65

Commander

Repulsion... it has been measured that the universe is not just expanding but it's actually speeding up. At the edge of the visible universe it doesn't end, there is no definite boundry, it's just expanding faster than the light can get back to us for our eyes to see. This means there is no 'pulsating' big bang / big crunch cycle. The universe will continue to expand (and accelerate) until, eventually, all the stars in the night sky will be gone. They'll be so far away from each other the universe will become a cold black empty space with no light and no heat. Our sun only has a couple billion years left until it swells into a red giant and consumes Mercury, Venus and Earth... then it'll slowly fade away. This is a rather grim picture of the distant future but it's true. So if there's a god we'll definately be needing his assistance at that point! We have 95 billion years to figure out this dilemma.<br />What are y'all doing to prepare?<br /> :rolleyes: <br /><br />Alright, I'm done.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

mag65: <br />"What are y'all doing to prepare? :rolleyes: "<br /><br /><br />I think i'll go fishing :D <br /><br /><br /> JB:<br /> " Infinity is a word we use but don't grasp."<br /><br /><br />True :(

mattttt25

Commander

jb- if you haven't already, take my suggestion. hawkings addresses time/space quite well in his book. the man is simply billiant.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Who cares? The big bang happened and we are here.<br />What ya going to do when the big bang happens? Die!!!<br />Why worry about it.<br />One thing is for sure.<br />When you are born, you are guaranteed to die.<br />I will borrow a quote from a friend of mine.<br />"Live life to the fullest, cause it can be gone in a blink of an eye"

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back to the original question...where did the cosmos come from?? They came form vodka, triple sec and a splash of cranberry...shaken with ice and strained...

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There is a small series of 3 books that hold the answer to life ,the universe and everything.It is called "the hitch hikers guide to the universe".The answer is in there.You will have to be British or at least european to really enjoy this book.<br />Oh yes, the answer to life's questions.It is 42

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by MrBill:<br /> Back to the original question...where did the cosmos come from?? They came form vodka, triple sec and a splash of cranberry...shaken with ice and strained...
Hey! I tried your receipe, Bleh! :( too sweet :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> There is a small series of 3 books that hold the answer to life ,the universe and everything.It is called "the hitch hikers guide to the universe".The answer is in there.You will have to be British or at least european to really enjoy this book.<br />Oh yes, the answer to life's questions.It is 42
Man, just when I thought we might agree on something.. and you Goofed it up again!<br />
You will have to be British or at least european to really enjoy this book.
NOT ;) <br />However, your correct, the answer is 42 :D <br />But then I still watch Red Dwarf and have met most of the cast!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by Link:<br />QUOTE]But then I still watch Red Dwarf and have met most of the cast! [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />__________________________________________________________________________<br /><br />The only way that you can come up with 42 is if you try a vindaloo :D

magster65

Commander

SBN - I care. :) <br />It's fascinating no matter how pessimistically you look at (or don't look at) it. You know what's even more fascinating? The Earth and every single thing on this planet are made of 'space dust' that has at least once been part of a distant supernova. We, as humans are part of the universe, therefore this universe has consciousness. Another thing, I don't know why I started this topic :) <br />I like it though.<br />Vlad - I'm already prepared! I have full fuel in the boat and some beers in the fridge. I put new line on my reel and bought a couple of jigging lures... I'm ready! But... how can I help stop the expansion of the universe? I would go ahead and stop it but I don't feel qualified to make that decision on behalf of so many people. Oprah will have to do it.<br />Peace out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was getting ready to post on Cosmo Kramer. Then I realized, wrong Cosmo.

D

DJ

CJY,<br /><br />Everybody knows that Cosmo came from Babs.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Babs, as in Streisand?