Where can I buy a cylindar head temp gauge?

bben76

Seaman
I'm new to boat motors. I have a '71 60hp johnson that runs well but I have tested the temp warning horn and it does not work. I've seen several people talk about an easy to bolt on temp gauge, can you tell me where to buy one? I looked around on iboats but can't seem to find a product with much detail so I'm confused. I do not want to drill any holes, want an easy installation. I realize a water pressure gauge would be better b/c it tells me what is happening as opposed to what has happened but i'm really afraid of drilling holes in my motor to add a water pressure gauge. <br /><br />To see pix of my motor see earlier post here: http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=041271;p=1#000016 <br /><br />Thank you for your help!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Where can I buy a cylindar head temp gauge?

Teleflex has temperature (and water pressure) gauges. You'll need an OB sender and the temp gauges. They have enough gauges choices to make your head spin.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Actually a water pressure AND a temp gauge are your best insurance. The pressure gauge tells you the water pump is working and how well its working. Even if its working it does not mean the engine is not overheating. If adding a pressure gauge, change the water pump impeller at the same time and then note the idle and WOT pressure readings. As the impeller ages the pressure readings will drop providing you with a warning that the impeller again needs replacement. No two engines are identical so unless you do this you will not know whats "normal" Fix your overheat alarm. Chances are even if you have a head temp gauge, you will never see the overheat coming until its too late.

D

DJ

I think it's easier, more cost effective, to fix the warning horn.

bben76

Seaman

Thanx for the info, I appreciate it!