Where are the good service/trades people? (rant)

ob

Admiral
Re: Where are the good service/trades people? (rant)

Originally posted by fatpratt1996:<br /> At what age can you really say "kids these days"?
When all of the nice looking 24 year old ladies at the mall stores call you sir.Then just add 5 more years and you're there. :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) most of you are not going to like what I say!!!! :D <br /><br />98% of the people that had shoddy work done, "DESERVE IT"!!!! :p <br />You look for the cheapest possible price!!!!<br />You go to, a do it yourself supply company such as Home Depot, or a Lowes, they take any bodies call card, and you ask the company to recomend someone to do the work!!! They do not care who they send to your house or the experience that they have!!! You do not ask for a couple of references!!!<br /><br />The bottom line is "PRICE!! PRICE !!!and you deserve what you get!!!! :D :D PRICE!!!!
Fly Rod - I think you've hit the nail on the head for a lot of folks.<br /><br />hell look at big business contracts too.. US Government contracts also..

gonfishn

Commander

You get what you pay for..Its no difference in the bedding industry..Folks come in and want the cheapest set I have..Then when it breaks down in a year they come in and complain.<br /><br />Usually when they say that I will normally send them to odd lots or walmart..

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I do refrigeration work, worked for the same company for 22 years. I treat ALL my customers like I want to be treated and the owner of the company feels the same way I do which is good. Some of my customers I deal with I've dealt with close to 20 years. Makes a great customer relationship. I've always tried to build a good relationship with my customers. I believe how you present yourself to a customer is 75% of the battle. I just wish I could get 2 of my techs to do this. These 2 guys always talk bad about the customers and I have to keep reminding them that that is where we get our paychecks from. The boss dosen't go in the backyard and get money off the money tree.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Not real fair for me to say, but those of you in wisconsin will understand. I grew up in a small town and I knew who did a good job, who was a good mechanic, who stood behind their work, and show respect for your contractor.<br /><br />Not implying anyone here would do this but if a problem crops up try and be a little understanding of your tech. A plugged toilet on christmas doesn't mean you call the plumber, just wait and use another one for a day. It is christmas for them too. Impatience is a killer these days, but understandable as well.<br /><br />With the contractors that we sell to, the most successful are never the cheapest, they have more work than they can handle, do the best work and have the lowest "warranty" (ha) rates, treat their customers with the same respect that their customers extend to them. Shoot your mouth off and move directly to the bottom of the work order pile.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with flyrod in that the lowest bid usually wins the job. You get what you pay for.<br /><br />I also see the continual decline of who becomes a tradesman. In part, it is because of illegal immigrant labor. Immigrant labor has always been, and will always be, an integral part of our economy. The illegal labor is what drives down wages quickly. <br /><br />When I was a carpenter, we went from hourly wages to piecework. This was fine since I could work hard and make more while increasing productivity. However, there was no way I could compete with 10 illegals willing to work as a group for 1/2 the price. Even when I ran crews myself, I could not give a quantity discount more than 10% because I would not hire illegals.<br /><br />Less than liveable wages for construction is what moved me into construction management. I could not pay my employees a liveable wage because of artificial wage deflation, and then could not interest younger folks in working long hours in the sun, rain, mud, or whatever. Why work for 30% over minimum wage in construction, when you can work at a local retailer for about the same and be in air conditioned comfort?<br /><br />I have to deal with the current state of the service and trade industry on a daily basis. Quality is no longer job 1 and when I do find a company that does high quality, my company is not willing to pay the price. <br /><br />Very frustrating. :mad: