When you're 20 miles from home and see this bearing down on you...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get on the throttle...... take no quarter......damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead

Reminds me of 2004 coming back from South Dakota in dads truck pulling my latest acquisition (1948 Chev 3100 5-window). Blew a boost hose . However there was a tornado bearing down on us ...

Held it to the floor..... without boost, could only muster 60mph.... EGTs thru the roof.... Outran the tornado. Warped the exhaust manifold and head.....

FLATHEAD

Commander
Hammer down!! I can relate. Having ridden motorcycle coast to coast a few times, avoiding interstates most of the time have dealt with some races against the weather. Didn’t always win.

southkogs

Staff member
Got caught like that once here in TN. What was the worst was we beat the brunt of the storm back to the ramp; but the waves were coming big enough that I ran the risk of bashing the keel on rocks to get to the dock.

Glad y'all made it in.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Got caught like that once here in TN. What was the worst was we beat the brunt of the storm back to the ramp; but the waves were coming big enough that I ran the risk of bashing the keel on rocks to get to the dock.

Glad y'all made it in.
Yeah, I guess I *could* have just gone back to the bar. I tried loading on the lift with wind coming in and had a tough time. From now on I throw it on the mooring and wait for storm to pass

southkogs

Staff member
I know the ocean is different: I've only been caught on the Gulf in a storm once, and fortunately I was not the skipper. We had launched from the beach, so had to come in the same way. There was no way to "ride out" the storm, so we had to break the surf and get to the trailer. But dude knew what he was about - it was scary, but I never felt life threatened.

Inland here in TN, sometimes you can actually duck into a cove and just hold it together until the worst passes through.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Imagine seeing that coming towards you trolling a 18 rod spread on planer boards....lol

The small popcorn storms are not an issue unless accompanied with by lightening. Had carbon fiber (fishing) rods rattle in the rack more than once.

It's the frontal boundaries passing through in late fall that get my attention. Waves breaking over the top of a 48' boat with a 20 mile run ahead of you is no fun at all ;)