When was the last time you heard a PAN-PAN ?

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw another thread today, about how marine radios are not being used much anymore, mostly because of cell phones.
I was taught that the Coast Guard strongly preferred VHF boater communications.

I live in a small coastal town, two miles from a Coast Guard station. I never (in the past 2 years) heard any radio traffic on channel 9 or 16.

I see a lot of very young CG recruits in town and I am often tempted to ask if anything ever happens on channel 16, but I'm afraid that they will think that I am talking about television.

Definitely,

old and in the way

angus63

Captain
Re: When was the last time you heard a PAN-PAN ?

CG issues many pan-pans regularly in NY harbor for vessels that lost power, ice chunks being hazards to nav, barges that have broken free, etc... Also many Securite calls too for non working lights or bridges, buoys out of position, etc....

But I do not hear many, Thank Goodness, recreational or commercial vessel warning or distress calls. I monitor NY harbor while at School and most of the south shore of Long Island while home or fishing. Many fisherman use cell phones now, especially commercial fisherman, to communicate so as not to give away their locations. At least around here....

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: When was the last time you heard a PAN-PAN ?

Not even near true down here. Cell phones are useless.