when did they stop producing the electric shift O/B

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 78 115 Johnson on Ebay, and the seller says it has electric shift? I have owned over the years a 73 115hp Evinrude, a 76 70hp Johnson, and a 78 115 Johnson, and as I remember they all had a mechanical gear case. I thought OMC stopped installing the electric shift in 72, and went to the more reliable mechanical linkage. I stopped at a small repair shop today, and the owner (a former tech from a local OMC dealership), said he thought the electric shift was an option until 78, but was not sure. ????? What year did they stop the electric shift outboard?

mike1234tampa

Seaman
Re: when did they stop producing the electric shift O/B

Hello,<br /><br />I myself thought that electric shift gearcase was last made in 1972, so I looked at my service manual from 1956 - 1972 johnson, evinrude. It outlines service procedures for both mechanical and electric shifting, in the 1973 - 1990 manual it only refrences mechanical shifting. <br /><br />Cant be positive but have ownded several johnson outboads and none of them past 1972 were electirc shift.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Last year for elctric shift was '72.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Just replaced a solenoid in a 1973 50 HP, parts manual listed, and showed diagram of electric shift and manual shift.

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I will admit in the 70's my understanding of outboards was limited, but I remember my friend had a 72?, 55hp 3cyl Evinrude with an electric shift. It was always in the shop for a problem with the lower unit. I dont believe the seller has a clue what type shift his motor has. <br />Thanks again,<br />Johnny

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Uhhhhh....I just took a look at the '73's and what I saw was a gearcase for an electric start and manual start 50hp. The electric start featured a shift assist cylinder in the gear case but was not electric shift. Am I looking at the wrong year? This is an OEM parts book.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hi All. Anybody have a tube of premium blend gear lube handy?It used to say what the default year was on electric shift.It also said P.B. was okay in earlier manual shift gearcases.<br /><br />As to later than 1972-1973,stringer stern drives ran electric shift until 1977 or 1978.(1977 I think.)<br /><br />No 1978 outboards here in the states were electric shift.<br />DHP

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think this guy means "Remote" Shift...<br /><br /> web page

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The straight Electric Shift, ie voltage to the green wire equaled forward, came into existence in 1962 on the 40hp and higher hp models. In 1969 this system was continued only in the 40hp models, used through 1970 and discontinued that year.<br /><br />The Hydro Electric Shift, ie voltage to the green wire equaled neutral, came into existence in 1968 with the 55hp model, and was incorporated into the higher hp models in 1969. This system was used through 1972 and discontinued that year.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Joe,<br />Good going.these motors had a diaphram switch on the powerhead,just behind the cards (aft)Did it's malfunction leave the gearcase in forward,or neutral.<br /> I wonder because I can still come up with the part number for it.I sold tht many.<br /><br />DHP

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally received an email from the seller on ebay, and he now says it is an electric start not shift. Oh, I called my old friend (the one who had the electric shift 55hp), and he said when his malfunctioned it would not go into any gear. I asked him about the year, like me he could not remember the exact year of his motor. It has been a long time...time seems to be speeding up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

DHP.... As the key was turned off, the diaphram contacts, remained contact due to crankcase vacuum and kept the lower unit in neutral until the engine quit running. The unit then, due to a spring loaded clutch dog, would go into forward gear.