"wheel wells" in my boat.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
I will be starting a rebuild on my first boat, 1981 15' Sea Sprite. I will probably be replacing my transom and when doing so I want to know if I need these "wheel wells" or not. I would like to get rid of them because they take up a lot of valuable room that could be used for fuel tanks and storage.

In the back of the boat under the rear deck there are 2 humps of amateur laid fiberglass, one on each side. If you have ever seen the wheel wells in the bed of a pick up truck then you have seen these. They start at the transom, are about 9" wide, and go towards the bow about 15 inches. The room under the rear deck is only 18" deep by 18" tall so these wheel wells take up almost all of the depth of the under the deck and most of the height. I only have about 40" width to fit a fuel tank and right in the center of this space is the bilge space. I am thinking that these wheel wells were put in to add stiffness at some point, possible due to a larger motor combined with fear of transom replacement. The boat is a tri-hull and the wheel wells look like they have nothing but empty space between them and the outer hull.

When/If I replace the transom and beef it up to match my motor mount (1" current to 3" needed) are these wheel wells needed. Assuming that when I cut them out there are not other signs of horrible rot or damage that would require them to be replaced. Since I have a deck on the back of the boat I would not think that more bracing would be needed to stiffen the transom/side junction like I sometimes see on the rear of row boats. It would be a great help if I could reclaim valuable real estate. I would really appreciate the experts' opinion on this since I am not even a novice yet.

Thanks
DJ

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: "wheel wells" in my boat.

Are they full of foam? Pics?

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't cut them open yet to see if they have foam or not. Either way, if they are not factory, wouldn't they serve the same purpose. The foam may add some stiffness over a hollow form but with this configuration I wouldn't figure it would be that much more.

I have something similar in my boat except mine are maybe 6in wide, 8in tall and about 10ft long. They are hollow, and from the factory. They make for a shelf where the fuel tanks sit and make for a perfectly verticle mating surface for the interior panels.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

Here are a few pics of the area.

Attachments

• P1090609 - small.jpg
    P1090609 - small.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1090610 - small.jpg
    P1090610 - small.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1090611 - small.jpg
    P1090611 - small.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Man. that's ugly! I'm gonna guess it's glassed-in foam flotation. I've seen it on several builds here but it's usually square foam blocks. You can grind off a small section of 'glass to see what's inside but I can't imagine it being anything other that floatation cells.

Or big spider eggs.

Peteco

Seaman Apprentice

My boat had the same thing. The humps were only to contain foam. They consisted of one layer of CSM, and were pretty thin. They could not have added any strutural reinforcement. By the looks of yours, I wouldn't worry - they arent stiffening a thing.

I'd say go ahead and nuke them. I removed mine to be able to get at the transom and bond in some backing plates for ladders on each side. The core in that area was very thin plywood and the hardware kept pulling out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Looks like someone glassed in a couple of bags of ping pong balls!

reelfishin

Captain

I cut up an old Larson a while back, it had something similar glassed into both rear corners and one up in the bow just below the deck. It was a bag of sorts of hollow plastic bubbles, they sort of looked like the vacuum balls you see in some cars under the hood, only sealed in a fiberglass bag and covered in resin. My take was that it was after the fact add on flotation to meet some spec or something. The boat's deck looked original, so my guess they were factory.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I will cut open a small piece just to make sure what's inside. If it is just as useless as it looks then out they come.