wheel bearing rant......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah...tires really shouldn't count since their weight isn't being carried by the axle.

In any case, the weight isn't why his bearings went out. There is another reason.

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
The usual suspects are bearing packing, water intrusion or misaligned spindles and overfilled bearing buddies....
We had one trailer where the tires were so unbalanced that they ruined the bearings but that's a very low likelihood.
Plus we had several of these cheap Chinese bearings fail too usually combined with sub standard seals....

The misaligned spindles you can usually detect from the tire wear pattern.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I carry a spare bearing that's already pre-packed and vacuum sealed. When my wife went to throw out her fancy food saver I found it a new home in the shed. Just put the bearing in the bag with grease slapped around the race then vacuum the bag and seal it. Touch wood never had a bearing fail but its nice to know I have a full kit ready to go as I would hate to be stuck on the side of the road waiting for a store to open.

brilliant

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The OP most likely has 4.3l if not a 5l engine which is a lot heavier, then more length and beam plus extra fiberglass for teh cuddy and a larger tank and a longer trailer.
From some of his old posts, he has a Volvo 4 banger. Probably lighter than your engine.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
In any case this is my main gripe....the hub nut is notched of course... BUT....this always happens: When I get it where it "feels" right to me...the hole for the cotter pin is covered. SO....then I can tighten it a notch and have it feel too tight to me, or loosen it a bit where it has too much wobble. JEEZ....

Most likely you have 1"X14 adjusting nuts with 6 slots in them. I've always felt the same way with those nuts, on 3 out of 4 hubs finger tight and then just enough more to line up the cotter pin is way too tight and backing it off to line up the pin makes the wheel seem way to loose to my liking.

I like to use the nuts with 10 slots cut in them, they make it a lot easier to get a good adjustment on the bearings.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trail...ASN100-165686/

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Most likely you have 1"X14 adjusting nuts with 6 slots in them. I've always felt the same way with those nuts, on 3 out of 4 hubs finger tight and then just enough more to line up the cotter pin is way too tight and backing it off to line up the pin makes the wheel seem way to loose to my liking.

I like to use the nuts with 10 slots cut in them, they make it a lot easier to get a good adjustment on the bearings.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trail...ASN100-165686/

I never had the 6 slot ones as all the disc brake retrofit kits I ordered from Pacific Trailers came with the 10-slots. I can imagine that the 6-slots are a problem....
First thing I do with a new to me trailer is to add disc brakes....

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone who is blowings bearings regularly even when properly maintained is either overloaded OR the axle spindle is shot.. meaning its dinged bent or otherwise not doing its job.. what is happening to this chap happened to me after i bought my 20ft cudy on a single axle trailer.. answer= new 3500# axle. Hubs. Breaks..the works.. new spindles are milled to tight tollerances. Bearings ride tight no wobble no virbration..no blow outs.. anyone who has installed a new axle recently will understand..those who think a 30 year old axle is just as good are mistaken...new axle my friend..thats the answer