Wheel bearing grease "oozing"

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a dual axle trailer that I took late last year to have the bearings packed. The hubs have "bearing buddies".

I notice on the rim of one of the wheels that there was some grease on it. I pulled off the bearing buddy cover and some grease fell out onto the rim. I also noticed some water in the cover.

I compared this to the others and this bearing looks much more messy than the others (see photos attached).

Seems I'm getting water in the bearing. I think normally (without bearing buddies) water enters this area anyway and its via marine grease that bearings can deal with this (correct?).

So my question is two fold:
  1. What could cause this to 1 bearing given I just had it repacked not that long ago
  2. Is this a major concern or is this something that will likely be OK for a while so long as I keep it greased up?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4190.JPG
    IMG_4190.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Or someone pumped way too much into it. Is there grease all over the back where the spindle goes in?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Seals are a big possibility, another thing to consider is the added grease being compatible....have run into this in the past...some types of grease do not play well together, once your bearings are cleaned and greased, you should keep using the same grease !! I have witnesses greases turn into runny almost water like consistency when mixed together. When grease gets that thin and runny it allows water to enter....something to consider !!

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Can't tell for certain but when I zoom in on the pic it almost looks like the BB is barely hanging on, i.e. not inserted all the way.

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great feedback all, thank you. How would I diagnose this? Seems like looking at the back of the hub is one thing to see if the seal is blown out. Also make sure the BB is seated correctly.

Any other diagnosis tips?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, take a flashlight and crawl under and look at the back of the hub. If grease is thrown everywhere then there's an obvious indicator. The problem with hubs/BBs etc. is that people say you gotta repack frequently even with the aid of a BB. The problem with this is that every time you remove them it tends to slop out the bore of the hub and they get loose and even fall off on the road (don't ask me how I know). Get a new hub, new BB, new seal, install it once, never over pack it - only until you see the piston moving - then leave it alone. Occasionally feel of the hubs when you stop for gas. My 2 cents.

tbetty

Cadet
Yes, take a flashlight and crawl under and look at the back of the hub. If grease is thrown everywhere then there's an obvious indicator. The problem with hubs/BBs etc. is that people say you gotta repack frequently even with the aid of a BB. The problem with this is that every time you remove them it tends to slop out the bore of the hub and they get loose and even fall off on the road (don't ask me how I know). Get a new hub, new BB, new seal, install it once, never over pack it - only until you see the piston moving - then leave it alone. Occasionally feel of the hubs when you stop for gas. My 2 cents.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I might add, that at least once a year I slip a jack under the axle and raise each wheel/ tire and give it a spin. Check for any noises, easy turning, no slop/ play when side force is applied, then add a little grease while spinning until it comes out the overflow hole. If everything feels good and turns freely, no need to take anything apart. After that only add a little grease on ocassion, all my units have the little overflow hole to ket me know I have enough in it.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Every year, I take em apart, clean them, grease them and change the rear seals. Also check the spindle where the seal rides. Any grooving gets a speedy sleeve.

I call it annual preventive maintenance and have never had one fail (shouldn't have said that).

airshot

Rear Admiral
Every year, I take em apart, clean them, grease them and change the rear seals. Also check the spindle where the seal rides. Any grooving gets a speedy sleeve.

I call it annual preventive maintenance and have never had one fail (shouldn't have said that).
Your right, shouldn't have said that.....I do the same thing for preventative maintenence, but....a few years back, one of the BB came out somehow and the grease all flung out . As I was backing into my barn the wheel came off ( after driving 65 mph for a half hour) axle end was destroyed and needed to replace with new axle stub. Never had another issue sinse that one. Maintenence does help greatly, but freak things can still happen.....

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I might add, that at least once a year I slip a jack under the axle and raise each wheel/ tire and give it a spin. Check for any noises, easy turning, no slop/ play when side force is applied, then add a little grease while spinning until it comes out the overflow hole. If everything feels good and turns freely, no need to take anything apart. After that only add a little grease on ocassion, all my units have the little overflow hole to ket me know I have enough in it.
Agree.