What's Your Time Worth?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
"Time Waits For No One"<br /> <br />A man came home from work late again, tired<br />and irritated. He found his 5-year-old son<br />waiting for him at the door.<br /> <br />"Daddy, may I ask you a question?"<br /> <br />"Yeah, sure, what is it?" replied the man.<br /> <br />"Daddy, how much money do you make an<br />hour?"<br /> <br />"That's none of your business! What makes<br />you ask such a thing?" the man said angrily.<br /> <br />"I just want to know. Please tell me, how much<br />do you make an hour?" pleaded the little boy.<br /> <br />"If you must know, I make $20 an hour."<br /> <br />"Oh," the little boy sighed, head bowed. Looking<br />up, he asked "Daddy, may I borrow $10 please?"<br /> <br />The father was furious. "If the only reason you<br />wanted to know how much money I make is just<br />so you can borrow some to buy a silly toy or some<br />other nonsense, then you march yourself straight<br />to your room and go to bed. Think about why you're<br />being so selfish. I work long, hard hours every day<br />and don't have time for such childish games."<br /> <br />The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the<br />door.<br /> <br />The man sat down and started to get even madder<br />about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask<br />such questions only to get some money.<br /> <br />After an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and<br />started to think that he may have been a little hard<br />on his son. Perhaps there was something his son<br />really needed to buy with that $10, and he really<br />didn't ask for money very often.<br /> <br />The man went to the door of the little boy's room and<br />opened it. "Are you asleep, son?" he asked.<br /> <br />"No daddy. I'm awake." replied the boy.<br /> <br />"I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you<br />earlier." said the man. "It's been a long day, and<br />I took my aggravation out on you. Here's that $10<br />you asked for."<br /> <br />The little boy sat straight up, beaming. "Oh, thank<br />you, Daddy!" he exclaimed. Then, reaching under<br />his pillow, he pulled out some more crumpled up<br />bills.<br /> <br />The man, seeing that the boy already had money,<br />started to get angry again.<br /> <br />The little boy slowly counted out his money, then<br />looked up at his dad.<br /> <br />"Why did you want more money if you already had<br />some?" the father demanded.<br /> <br />"Because I didn't have enough, but now I do." the<br />little boy replied. <br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />"Daddy, I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time?"

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's Your Time Worth?

There is a real important message in this post SBN. Sometimes it is amazing to see the things little kids come up with and the meaning it conveys.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Our counselor told that story when I was having problems with my son. The demands of employers makes it hard anymore to spend the quality of time with ones family. Maybe that is why the younger generation doesn't want to work.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea people it kinda makes you stop for a second to think about all the past lost time you could have, wanted to, spend with people.<br />Also to realize it can be gone in a split second.

Laddies

Banned

I think that is a typical problem in familys some times it's hard to take the time with our children

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

It does make you wake up and think about how you spend you time and what is important.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Like the rest of you, I've worked hard all my life and some of the time I couldn't be with my family as much as I wanted. My children are grown now, but I sure wish I could've spent more time with them.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Like the rest of you, I've worked hard all my life and some of the time I couldn't be with my family as much as I wanted. My children are grown now, but I sure wish I could've spent more time with them.

spratt

Lieutenant

After seeing both my sons grown and out on their own, too many times I wish I could turn the clock back and do some things over again. The one thingg that woudl certainly change, is that I would be waaaaaaaaaaaaay more liberal with my time spent with my boys. I tell people with small children, all the time, that the most important thing tey can do with those little ones is spend time with them. One can never spend enough, and when your last hour comes, one thing you will wish, child and parent alike, is that you could have been together more.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Good story.<br /><br />I wish I had more time with the kids. All this work keeps me too busy, need a good vacation.<br /><br />Ken

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

That is a great story.<br /><br />I think I've shared before here, but one day a week (Thursday night) is family night for us.<br /><br />No TV, play stations, game boys, etc.<br /><br />Just quality time (puzzles, book reading, board games, etc.)<br /><br />Thursday nights are my kids favorite nights. We have made it a fun night and they can't wait for "family night".

Stratosfied

Ensign

Ain't nobody on their deathbed wished they had spent more time at work. :rolleyes:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Once again I count myself very lucky to work the shift and type of work I do. I don't go to work until the kids are either in bed or just about to go to bed. I miss the early morning time with them, but that is it. I have rocked my 18month old boy before bedtime most of his life. I have only missed at the most 10 days puting him to bed. Some days time with my kids wears me down physically working night shift, but most days it is wonderful. <br />My father was a truck driver so I missed a lot. He was home every friday, and left every sunday from my 3rd grade year until my senior year in school. When he was home he was so busy catching up from the week with cutting firewood and all other chores that I couldn't do that we had very little time together. It didn't bother me, but I don't ever want to do that to my kids.<br />People blame the times we live in these days, but think of the song cats in the cradle. Things have not really changed that much over the years.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> Ain't nobody on their deathbed wished they had spent more time at work. :rolleyes:
True. <br /><br />But there's a legion of politicians and business leaders who constantaly berate workers for wanting another dollar or two an hour and for not working hard enough or long enough, while they're awarding themselves multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses and graft for doing sweet FA most of the time.<br /><br />Then when these politicians and business leaders get caught doing the wrong thing with their hands in somebody else's pocket or even deeper into somebody else's pants, they suddenly discover that they have to resign to spend more time with their family. They get great payouts to do it. The bigger the f***up, the more they get.<br /><br />Pity the rest of us can't resign to spend more time with our families when we're doing the right thing. <br /><br />Some just end up being ground down and grumpy like the bloke in the first post, forced to work hours that are too long in low pay jobs and doing the best they can with too little money and less hope for the better future they want for their family.

ChaosDad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Les. That is what I have been doing these past few weeks since my Dad passed, Thats why I have not been around, been catching up with mom and the rest of the family, <br />Did get your message at work, and will be calling you shortly.<br />Again Thanks .<br />..D..

cmyers_uk

Passed down to me from my father,<br /><br />a vicar told him that he's heard many people on their death bed say they wish they spent more time with their family, hes not heard one say I wish I worked harder.<br /><br />Recently Ive started spending 30 - 45 minutes a night with my daughter doing maths, strange thing she doesnt want to miss it and her behaviour across the board has improved. So no matter how tired I am I try and make 30 mins one to one time. Added advantage my maths is getting better!