whats wrong with my kicker ?

ERA

Seaman
hi
could you please check this video and tell me what is wrong with my kicker ?

it has a broken throttle linkage but i cant find replacement for it , but i dont think its really importand

here is some pics of the broken piece
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg

thanks for helping

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: whats wrong with my kicker ?

Hey ERA, did you fix that part or replace it, you show the motor idling but can you rev it up?
Also there is a you-tube video on a similar maybe 9.9hp Chrysler on how to tune your carbie for these type motors, check you tube out.
Is there no wreckers near you? you maybe also able to find it off a similiar motor close to the same hp.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That throttle link IS important because the piece that is missing contains a screw to spread the two plastic pieces. This synchronizes the carb and timing at idle. And, it breaks frequently. There is a place here on the right coast I believe in Maryland, which would probably have the part, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Have you tried boats dot net?

The timing plate on almost all 9.9-15 Chrysler and Force engines was the same so if there is a marine junkyard anywhere near you, you could also swap in an older style 15 carb with the all metal links.

MickLovin

Go the metal links, leaast they don't break like that piece of plastic rubbish. What a bad design.

ERA

Seaman

nope cant find this part anywhere , yea i can rev it up and its working just fine except this problem in the video , that's why i was thinking this part is not important but frank said it is important then it is important but the problem now that i cant find this part anywhere in the world its like Extinct .

MickLovin

I said it was important to in one of your other posts, get one off a Chrysler which has the metal one. Otherwise just get a whole carbie with it on.I actually have a 12.9hp carbie which might fit, I'd have to ask Frank if it would or not, but it is the metal one, the whole carbie may fit actually.
heres the problem I am in Australia

Nordin

Commander

Before changing to the metal typ. Try Franzmarine, if someone has this linkage he is the man. He has almost everything for Chrysler/Force OB.
Maybe not cheap but instead of mess with the metal typ and found out it do not fit really good.

Jiggz

Captain

From the video, it sounds and looks like the motor is trying to increase in rpm but as soon as it does, it misfires. This is a good indication the timing plate is not advancing with the rpm as required thus misfires. Without load (in neutral) you can actually rev the motor using the throttle link but not if it is loaded. Actually I can do the same with my 125 revving it by moving the throttle bar link and it will rev without having to move the timing. But as soon as you put load on it (in gear) it will die unless you rev it using the timing tower which also advances the timing with increase in rpm.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

That throttle link IS important because the piece that is missing contains a screw to spread the two plastic pieces. This synchronizes the carb and timing at idle. And, it breaks frequently. There is a place here on the right coast I believe in Maryland, which would probably have the part, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Have you tried boats dot net?

The timing plate on almost all 9.9-15 Chrysler and Force engines was the same so if there is a marine junkyard anywhere near you, you could also swap in an older style 15 carb with the all metal links.

Not sure one of these is the Maryland source you had in mind, Frank, but either might be able to come up with the part: Fairwinds Marina | (Fairwinds in Annapolis. Ask for Brian.) or American Outboard Motors and Salvage (American Outboards and Salvage on the Eastern Shore ? also a good source for decals, btw. Ask for Dora.) Fairwinds was a Chrysler dealer for years, and has a big backstock of used and NOS parts. American Outboards is acres of outboard salvage, and do repairs and detailing ? interesting place. But probably best to try Fairwinds first.

ERA

Seaman

Before changing to the metal typ. Try Franzmarine, if someone has this linkage he is the man. He has almost everything for Chrysler/Force OB.
Maybe not cheap but instead of mess with the metal typ and found out it do not fit really good.

thanks Nordin , i emailed them yesterday asking if they got this part , but they did not got back to me yet .

ERA

Seaman

From the video, it sounds and looks like the motor is trying to increase in rpm but as soon as it does, it misfires. This is a good indication the timing plate is not advancing with the rpm as required thus misfires. Without load (in neutral) you can actually rev the motor using the throttle link but not if it is loaded. Actually I can do the same with my 125 revving it by moving the throttle bar link and it will rev without having to move the timing. But as soon as you put load on it (in gear) it will die unless you rev it using the timing tower which also advances the timing with increase in rpm.

thanks for the info Jiggz i really appreciate it

ERA

Seaman

Not sure one of these is the Maryland source you had in mind, Frank, but either might be able to come up with the part: Fairwinds Marina | (Fairwinds in Annapolis. Ask for Brian.) or American Outboard Motors and Salvage (American Outboards and Salvage on the Eastern Shore – also a good source for decals, btw. Ask for Dora.) Fairwinds was a Chrysler dealer for years, and has a big backstock of used and NOS parts. American Outboards is acres of outboard salvage, and do repairs and detailing – interesting place. But probably best to try Fairwinds first.

thanks oldboat i did Emailed fairwinds marina yestrday as well but they did not get back to me yet , so i really hope theey have this part in hand because my kicker is really hard to start now and i dont know if this broken part is the problem or whts wrong with it , i paid 200 $ for this kicker and it came with gas tank and hose and bulb so what u guys think is that good price or too much ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like a decent price to me. Popular size, and in demand. Would be a good idea to do a compression check to see what you have.

ERA

Seaman

its been more then a week since i emailed all those marine shops that u guys give me their website and just one replayed and said that they dont have it i think its hopeless case , all i can do know is try to glue this part and make it work .
thanks every body for ur help i really appreciate it

Jiggz

Captain

Or you can try fabricating a metal one from some scrap sheet metal. With the load put on that part I do not believe glue with hold.

ERA

Seaman

ok im back with another problem lol , i bought throttle linkage part and i installed it but now there is no water coming out from the port and the motor gets hot in no time , i thought its the impeller water pump so i order one and i replaced it but still nothing it did not make any different , and i have no luck finding where is the T-stat at , so if anybody know where is the t-stat located on my gamefisher motor , and what should i check next ?

thanks in advance

Nordin

Commander

Looking at your first post the engine is running in a bucket with water.
But the waterline is to low, you must have the line up to about 2 inches above the partline for the gearcase.
The waterpumphouse is mounted right there and the impeller is not selfsucking it has to be water in the pumphouse when starting.
Try to put the engine in a deeper bucket an se if it starts to pump water.
If this not solve the problem you have to check if the coppertube is correct inlined with the pumphouse.

MickLovin

27.jpgshould be a few inches above the water pump housing which is located at the LU top join. Agree with Nordin

That picture is of a 1984 - 1995 after that they don't seem to have t'stats

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Valley Sales in Prudenville, Mi. should have the part.
He's on the net. But call him as he's slow answering e-mail
Valley Sales(989) 366-8178

ERA

Seaman

Looking at your first post the engine is running in a bucket with water.
But the waterline is to low, you must have the line up to about 2 inches above the partline for the gearcase.
The waterpumphouse is mounted right there and the impeller is not selfsucking it has to be water in the pumphouse when starting.
Try to put the engine in a deeper bucket an se if it starts to pump water.
If this not solve the problem you have to check if the coppertube is correct inlined with the pumphouse.

thank you very very much nordin , i did what u told me to do and it works :D , but i wonder how it works before with water not covering the whole LU like my video , and why its still missfirs sometimes