What's The Trick Mating Lower to Upper Drive??

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
More than once I have damaged the drive shaft seal when mating the lower to the upper. My old MC-1 has the pin sticking out and if it hits the seal it can definitely damage or dislodge it. Is there a way to "carefully" mate the two? My strength isn't what it used to be so I can't hold it as study as I would like.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
More than once I have damaged the drive shaft seal when mating the lower to the upper. My strength isn't what it used to be so I can't hold it as study as I would like.
This guy answers his own question. The study is apt questions/answers for life to prolonged

More than once I have damaged the drive shaft seal when mating the lower to the upper. My old MC-1 has the pin sticking out and if it hits the seal it can definitely damage or dislodge it. Is there a way to "carefully" mate the two? My strength isn't what it used to be so I can't hold it as study as I would like.
My strength is also deteriorating with age, so I use a floor jack to get in close proximity then I wiggle on it in from there...good luck! You'll get it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I feel your pain. I cannibalized a cheap scissors jack and welded extra parts on it. Unfortunately, when I sold my MC back in the late 90s, it went with the boat. Otherwise, I'd send photos.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I asume you have some sort of modified table or stand for the drive.I have
found it much easier to do this with the upper unit upside down on the stand and lower the upsidedown lower unit onto the upper.I dont know about your pin using this method but this has made the mating and unmating of the drive unit much much easier for me.The lower is quite a bit lighter than the upper and more manageable .You can now see the shaft entering the seal on the upper instead of doing it blindly .Charlie

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"You can now see the shaft entering the seal on the upper instead of doing it blindly"

That was always my problem. I've ruined a couple of seals just putting it back together. I ended up rigging an overhead hook in the garage and then used a light duty block and tackle to gradually lower the upper onto the lower watching the drive shaft very closely. Worked great.

JK