What's the limit?

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today me and my wife went out in the morning onto our Pippi, a 16 foot Starcraft and I believe it's a Jupiter. Anyways, the water was nice and calm and we went for a full throttle which was nice but then in front of us was a jet ski going from one shore to the other and I had to at some point cross his wakes (I think that's the term) so I slowed down quite a bit and it sure got crazy bumping. Now I really didn't like the hump hump so high neither did my wife, I don't think we were going more then 10mph. Now on the way back right by the ramp another speed boat looked like a 25 footer went by and it was about 30 or so feet away, may e even more but it created such a wake or wave that while we were trying to dock, it rocked us so much my wife got pushed right over hitti g the side of the boat.

Now I've tried watching videos of 16 foot boats going over rough water or hitting other boat wakes and stuff but seems there isn't enough. I know it's a small boat but how much of a wake ahead or to the side of me, or even be rocked should I worry about. I guess I'm asking would it ever come apart, capsized or so...

Anyone's experience, with more experience then me on rough water would help, preferably a 16 foot boat. I'm not sure what to think and after today, little uneasy about a 16 foot rocking so much. Btw I'm usually in the calm buffalo or niagara river.

Thank you

A.j.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: What's the limit?

Its always easier to cross the wake at an angle rather than at 90 degrees to the wave, much smoother.

Now if your on the dock and some maroon with a huge boat smashes you up the driver creating the wake is responsible for his wake and any damages sustained from it.

A small boat on the dock is probably the worst case scenario for a wake hit. There is nothing you can do but brace for it and ride it out (keep your hands in the boat, dont try to fend off the dock - you will loose in the end). I've never heard of a 16 footer capsizing from a wake. I have seen a16 foot bow rider take a huge wake over the bow and flip over end dumping a young family in the intra-coastal. They were not anticipating the wake and could have taken steps to avoid the accident. .

It's important whenever on a boat to be 100% aware of your surroundings especially other watercraft and their direction and proximity to you.

I dont want to sound like your at fault - your not. But someone should have seen the big boat, anticipated the wake and warned others on board.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Can't imagine getting into any real trouble with any wake under 18".

With the jet ski slop, it is better to stay just on plane, maybe 15-18-20 mph, so you go over most of it instead of getting hit from all sides.

I've been out 100's of times in 12-14-16' boats, and yes, you get bounced around.

The guys with the bigger, heavier boats don't have a clue what they are doing to you in your little light boat.

jestor68

Commander

Banging and bumping is part of life in a Mod V hull like a Starcraft. ;)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its always easier to cross the wake at an angle rather than at 90 degrees to the wave, much smoother.

Now if your on the dock and some maroon with a huge boat smashes you up the driver creating the wake is responsible for his wake and any damages sustained from it.

A small boat on the dock is probably the worst case scenario for a wake hit. There is nothing you can do but brace for it and ride it out (keep your hands in the boat, dont try to fend off the dock - you will loose in the end). I've never heard of a 16 footer capsizing from a wake. I have seen a16 foot bow rider take a huge wake over the bow and flip over end dumping a young family in the intra-coastal. They were not anticipating the wake and could have taken steps to avoid the accident. .

It's important whenever on a boat to be 100% aware of your surroundings especially other watercraft and their direction and proximity to you.

I dont want to sound like your at fault - your not. But someone should have seen the big boat, anticipated the wake and warned others on board.

Ohhh no worries about the fault or not. I've seen it coming way ahead but since the ramp was busy I had to circle around couple times then wait for an opening and as we were approaching the boat passed and we were sort of hit with it after a while it went by. No harm, just don't want to end up in the water myself with my wife at any point of it. I actually had to tell the jet ski guy to watch out since he was between the jet ski and the dock trying to jump start his motor as his battery was dead.

I'm glad for the extra info. Just a first time boat owner and 38 feet of water does make me think, if I was in it lol. So rough, bouncing and bumpin is alright for a small aluminum boat. I will keep more of a fun thought then what ifs lol and try to cruise through the wakes without worry of my bottom falling apart or rivets letting go lol.

UncleWillie

Captain

The boat will take way more than you will. :D
You'll lose your fillings and bust a Kidney before the boat comes apart! :eek:

If you didn't have water coming in over the side, your were not even close!

southkogs

Staff member

...Now on the way back right by the ramp another speed boat looked like a 25 footer went by and it was about 30 or so feet away, may e even more but it created such a wake or wave that while we were trying to dock, it rocked us so much my wife got pushed right over hitti g the side of the boat....
Just as a note about this - and not that it doesn't happen ALL THE TIME - being that close to another vessel is generally illegal at full speed, and being that close to the ramp at full speed is almost certainly illegal.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure what to think and after today, little uneasy about a 16 foot rocking so much. Btw I'm usually in the calm buffalo or niagara river.

Thank you

A.j.

Many years ago I played hookie with a co-worker and we went out into Lake Erie Fishing on a calm Summer afternoon. It was his first ever experience in a boat. When we came back it into the Niagara it was evening and all the other boats were out as well, so it was a little choppy. His first comment was "I never would have imagined that a boat bounced so much!". His second through 23rd comments were all the same....."barf". He never came along again...LOL.

If you think the Niagara is calm, you have never been out on a weekend. The Tonawanda Channel waves are routinely 2-3 footers.

I've been plying the river for 55 years now, in tinnies as small as 13'. Just roll with the waves and have fun. Its not a problem. If it is a bother, stay in the Erie Canal. The bass fishing in there beats everywhere else anyway.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many years ago I played hookie with a co-worker and we went out into Lake Erie Fishing on a calm Summer afternoon. It was his first ever experience in a boat. When we came back it into the Niagara it was evening and all the other boats were out as well, so it was a little choppy. His first comment was "I never would have imagined that a boat bounced so much!". His second through 23rd comments were all the same....."barf". He never came along again...LOL.

If you think the Niagara is calm, you have never been out on a weekend. The Tonawanda Channel waves are routinely 2-3 footers.

I've been plying the river for 55 years now, in tinnies as small as 13'. Just roll with the waves and have fun. Its not a problem. If it is a bother, stay in the Erie Canal. The bass fishing in there beats everywhere else anyway.

Hi,

Yeah weekends are crazy busy and it does become rough you are right. Its not a bother just more of a though as i dont feel like being in the water at some point of my ride because of a wake. ive got a hat itwill take much more then a simple wake off a bkat to flip, or at least a very. Ad one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just a first time boat owner and 38 feet of water does make me think, if I was in it lol. So rough, bouncing and bumpin is alright for a small aluminum boat. I will keep more of a fun thought then what ifs lol and try to cruise through the wakes without worry of my bottom falling apart or rivets letting go lol.

3' of water, or 38, its all the same if you take in water or are unconscious.

Now, take that 16'er and put her thru the paces. :)

Hands on the wheel and elbow touching the water, been there, done that.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I grew up in 16' starcrafts, on open water with lots of wakes. been through nasty stuff and ovr big stuff--sometimes on purpose.

practice practice practice. get out there and chase some big boats and go over the wakes, coming and going.

work on your trim if you have it (I didn't). practice slowing down and speeding up while crossnig to smooth it out and prevent the bow from scooping.

tin boats slam and sound loud. the myth that v hulls cut through chop is a myth, just like the myth that square hulls beat you to death.

Learn to deply fenders before you get to the dock, how to use them, how to use your boat hook.

practice practice practice. what you describe is a typical day.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

3' of water, or 38, its all the same if you take in water or are unconscious.

someone here said, you can drown in 3' of water; it just takes longer and makes for a more embarassing obituary

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

How much wave pounding can an aluminum boat take?
I don't know the limit but ask this guy.
resize_800_600_IMG_3414.jpg

or maybe this guy

Myself, with a 15' starcraft jetstar (a fair bit smaller that your jupiter) I venture on Georgian bay a little.
Never to far from shore, but I'm still pretty comfy in 4' rollers.
On Nipissing, 2' - 2 1/2' white caps almost sunk me... my bilge pump couldn't keep up with the water coming in.